dancy

Ear problem and ditter

i also have tinnitus and it the most annoying thing in life, i am curious as to why all of us skydivers are getting it? Altitude changes, loud turbines, who knows but it would be nice to help other skydivers prevent it before they hear the god awful ringing too..

Hi!

My right ear started to whistle over a year ago. I have audible on that side and I have been using it on over 700 jumps. My tinnitus is at 12 000 Hz (over 80 dB) and it is continuously. There is also -20 dB hearing loss at 9000 - 12 000 Hz.

So I have been wondering this too. :S

Since that, I have been using LED
(http://www.l-and-b.dk/images/products/lg/LB_optimaII05.jpg)
in Optima and ear plugs before the exit.

I think by now the damage is already done with my Ipod earbuds. It seems the human machine was just not built to last this long, and we're not quite to the point where I can replace all the shit that's going bad with glowing Terminator parts. I can't even find a smiley face with glowing Terminator parts.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I have issues hearing my audible, though not tinatus related.
Does anyone know if there is a vibrating :$ alti for the hard of hearing.
Something that vibrates like a cell phone on silent may be a solution.

I was just thinking about that this morning,before reading this thread. I have some hearing damage from my youth and I normally wear earplugs when skydiving to protect what hearing I have left. I often do not hear my audible, but I don't depend on it either.

The cell phone vibrator motors are available via surplus electronic sales. It would not be all that hard to connect the speaker output from an off the shelf audible to a motor control driver circuit and just cause the vibrator motor to run when the beeper is beeping. It would be best if the motor was in some way in contact with your skull. It would also require a package with a battery and the drive circuit on or inside the helmet.

I keep thinking about the motor being against my skull and then being driven into my skull by a hit on the head. Just a minor design challange.

It might be a nice college project for some young skydiving engineering student
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I was just thinking about that this morning,before reading this thread. I have some hearing damage from my youth and I normally wear earplugs when skydiving to protect what hearing I have left. I often do not hear my audible, but I don't depend on it either.

The cell phone vibrator motors are available via surplus electronic sales. It would not be all that hard to connect the speaker output from an off the shelf audible to a motor control driver circuit and just cause the vibrator motor to run when the beeper is beeping. It would be best if the motor was in some way in contact with your skull. It would also require a package with a battery and the drive circuit on or inside the helmet.

I keep thinking about the motor being against my skull and then being driven into my skull by a hit on the head. Just a minor design challange.

You kids toady...and your newfangled gadgets :S

Back in the day...nobody needed batteries to skydive - in ANYTHING!

Why do ya think we got so good at hand propping a Cessna"

Ya just gotta go back to the old school 'audible'

How it works is:

You take 2500' of heavy fishing line, tie a window weight (10 lbs) to one end and make a slip knot noose with the other end & loop that around your scrotum ~

~ throw the weight out the door prior to exit, when all the the line pays out and the noose tightens up, you'll know it by the 'audible' scream your hear coming out of your mouth.

~ toward the end of the skydive the weight will hit the ground 2500' below and the slip-knot will loosen...when you NO LONGER hear the screaming, ya know it's time to pull.

For an old school 'audible' with the log-book function...use a 25 pound weight.

Trust me...you won't EVER forget even a second of the dive - and no worries about a dead battery zapping the data! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

http://www.l-and-b.dk/products/audible/optima_ii

"toward the end of the skydive the weight will hit the ground 2500' below and the slip-knot will loosen...when you NO LONGER hear the screaming, ya know it's time to pull."

Umm......Jim? What if the line cuts/rips his Balls off, first :o???

"toward the end of the skydive the weight will hit the ground 2500' below and the slip-knot will loosen...when you NO LONGER hear the screaming, ya know it's time to pull."

Umm......Jim? What if the line cuts/rips his Balls off, first :o???

Where do ya think Packers come from?! >:(

"Where do ya think Packers come from?! >:("

:D!! You might not want to use any of them for a while. Not after that crack :P.

I never use packers...I started jumping back when it was a sport.

SKYDIVERS would no sooner pay someone to pack their parachute than they would to make the freefall for them.

In the 90's it became a hobby called Skydiving Lite promising JUMPERS a watered down version that has 'great taste' but unfortunately it IS 'less filling'

:ph34r:;)