ericja321

Skydiving in Hawaii

I was wondering if anyone knows about jumping in Oahu. I know they have a school out there and do AFF but I have heard somewhere (can't remember where) that you need a certain license or amount of jumps because of the close proximity to the beach and the winds, which makes sense. The part that wouldn't make sense with that is that they have students jumping there. I am planning on taking vacation out there and would really like to jump. Thanks.
"If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle." -Unknown

If you didn't do your training there, one of the two DZs requires a B license for visiting jumpers.
How's your accuracy? It's not the best place for a short "get one or two jumps" kind of place.
What's your wingloading? If it's very light, you might struggle with the winds.
I did my first jumps there, and it was a great experience. Returning 30+/- jumps later, it felt quite different, and a little scary.
There are few outs; winds can be funky.
That said, it's also one of the most beautiful DZs in the world. I just finished a coach course there, and it's perhaps the hardest DZ in the world for me to see in my rearview mirror.
Contact Sean at Skydive Hawaii or Range at Pacific, they'll tell you what you need to know.

My accuracy is pretty good, I am Military Freefall qualified and we have done a bunch of canopy control classes. That being said, it was all on a 7cell, 370sf MC4 but I have tried to apply what I have learned to sport parachuting and it has seemed to really help. I am also hoping that my local DZ will have some canopy control classes coming up before I head out to HI.

My wing load is 1:1, I guess I can start eating donuts for breakfast before I head out there to increase that wing load ;)

I did a tandem out there when I was stationed there but couldn't afford the training at the time. It was an absolutely amazing view and I can't wait to jump there again now that I am licensed.

Thanks for your help. Blue Skies

"If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle." -Unknown

Depending on the wind direction, the landing area will be halved, making small landing area even smaller.

Beware of rotors from the trees. Turbulence effect amplifies with stronger winds. It may not feel like 25-30 mph but sometimes wind may be consistent 25-30.

Not much out besides polo field, beach shoreline, farm land to the south.

low cutaway above the ocean might mean swimming time. If there are 30 ft waves you might have to swim for a long time before someone gets you. Unless you dare to swim in pass the shore break. Adjust your decision altitude accordingly.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely keep it in mind while I am out there. I'll be out there in the summer so if I do end up in the drink (knocking on wood) the waves should be small if any. I hadn't though of the low cutaway over the ocean, I couldn't imagine being out there in big waves. Thanks again.