scottd818

Dumping in a track?

it deploying in a track a bad or unsafe idea?

Hurts... but less so than hitting the ground without an open parachute.

:S

To the OP

+1

YMMV dependiing on your canopy and the pack job. AJ was Doing a max effort head down speed dive and broke her canopy.B| But she a amazon so she's almost super human..

R.
One Jump Wonder

wouldnt dumping in a track just be the same as dumping from a wingsuit jump? i would also think it could be good training for me untill i hit that lucky number 200 jump and can do a auctual wingsuit jump. how do people deploy from a tracking suit jump r they going belly to earth or do they just contine the track all the way thru deployment?

how will you 'wave off' in a track to let jumpers above you know you are deploying?

[how will you 'wave off' in a track to let jumpers above you know you are deploying?

barrel roll and shout "PULL"

cool I was hoping you had thought about that awesome strategy - never can be too sure on this site...also you never can be too cool come pull time in skydiving.

If you're not that great at tracking yet, you might be in such a 'head low / feet high above you' position that it (combined with the forward speed you have) increases the chances of a horseshoe malfunction. Throwing your pilotchute around your leg is never fun (excuse my paint-excellence).

Also, like others have said before me, the extra amount of 'swing' you get during the opening will make for your body position to have more (bad) influence on the opening. Which could then increase the chances of an off-heading opening or twist.

That said, I never take that much time to slow down after tracking. I track, do a big wave off, and during that I slow myself down sticking my knees down (like creating a huge backslide if you had no speed to begin with), and open. Might not be the best, but gives me more altitude/time to track away, and so far the openings have been just fine.
"So I jump out, look up, and think 'Oh SHIT!...

It's PINK!!!'"
- army guy after his first staticline jump

thats called a PC in tow (your pic)

So when would you call it a horseshoe, once the pin is out? I would call it a horseshoe since the canopy is attached to you in a way it shouldn't be. A pilotchute in tow is what I would call it if the pilotchute wouldn't be stuck around the leg, but would just simply not be functioning for whatever reason (see my awesome paint-skills).

ETA: Either ways, both suck, and the name/definition would be the last thing to worry about in such a situation.

ETA2: Maybe I shouldn't have drawn a smile on his face...
"So I jump out, look up, and think 'Oh SHIT!...

It's PINK!!!'"
- army guy after his first staticline jump

thats called a PC in tow (your pic)

Not if the bridle is wrapped around your leg, but the solution is the same either way.

what would you call it then? I would call it a bridle wrap resulting in a PC in tow.

The second little guy is what I would call a horseshoe.

semantics,

namaste :)

When I dump in a track, be it in a trackingsuit, rw suit, ff suit or whatever, I wave off by "waving" very clearly with my hands besides my body. People have seen me do it and tell me that it's just as clear and visible as a normal wave-off in a boxman position. As for the opening, I jump a Spectre that usually snivels quite a bit, so when I dump in a track I just get an opening that's a little bit faster than I'm used to. I've done it quite a few times now and the only "hard" openings I have ever had were on wingsuit jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIwymInqP3Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13bNvzsd2_8

Just my 2 cents.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

hopefully your keyboard if fucked up now

Na, I was lucky enough to have some paper towels handy. :$

To the OP:
As for the subject at hand, I dump from a track quite often. I also pull from full flight in my wing suits or nearly full flight, it's more of a hard stall full flight, but it's NOT all closed up, I'm still hauling ass forward when I pitch.

At 80 jumps, no, I was tracking, stopping, waving and throwing. Each was a separate activity. Over time they blend together more and more so that your doing all the same things, but there is not the hard stop and think between anymore... just one fluid motion.

Have fun, be safe, blue skies!

I opened in too much of a track before, due to my swinging body position my risers ended up twisted under my neck. I fixed it and flew it home but it left a mark and scared the crap out of me, since then I make sure of my body positioning before I pull.
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

I have done it a couple of times by mistake and I am now a lot more careful to give myself plenty of time to slow down.

My first jump this season I Dumped while in a track because I was anxious about pulling at the right altitude (pre A license). This error of judgement resulted in me being pulled extremely quickly in the opposite direction and my leg becoming tangled in my risers. Thankfully my shoe came off and I returned to a normal position. A friend told me to make sure I slowed down to a safe speed and to take the extra seconds to breathe and stableize before pulling.
Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

Increased malfunctions???? Hard openings??

Please elaborate.

I have been pitching in a track for the better part of 8000 jumps. No increase in mals or harder openings for me. maybe I'm doing it wrong.

+1
Been deploying straight from a track for years with all sorts of canopies - skydive and base with no issue

it deploying in a track a bad or unsafe idea?

In most cases, yes it is.

Despite what some of the higher time jumpers would have you believe it's not a good idea. The problem with pulling in a track is that it adds another variable to your pull time. We know from vast experience that stability and body position are key to good openings and clean deployments, and anything you can do to increase the odds of that happening is a good idea.

So when you add a track to your pull sequence, you run the risk of hard openings and excessive swing-out at line strech which can lead to flip throughs and entanglements. Also, if you're not managing your speed properly, the quicker/harder opening will make body position that much more important. A slightly dipped shoulder that would have been a non-issued with a normal airspeed opening, will be amplified with a higher airspeed opening, and can lead to trouble.

As previsouly mentioned, you can simply combine your wave-off with the flare from the track, and pull in a more 'conventional' manner. Learning to flare out of the track is key to getting the maximum time in your track, as it brings you back to 'straight and level' quicker than just returning to the 'stable arch'.

The thing to keep in mind is the relative wind. When you're tacking, it's not coming straight up from the ground, it's coming at you from more of a 45 degree angle in front of you. So in order to slow down the quickest, you need to sit up and point your belly button in the direction of the relative wind. It's similar to being on the hill just after exit, you're stable and facing the realtive wind, but you're not horizontal to the ground.

Practice this at altitude, because seconds before pull time is not when you should be experimenting with anything. Track perpendicualr to jump run for 5 or 8 seconds, then sit up feel yourself slow down and you'll naturally rock back into a face-to-earth orientation. Then do a 180 degree turn, and repeat the process.

Once you develop the feel for the manuver, you'll be able to go from tracking to not-tracking in the least amount of time/altitude. If you then work on how quickly you can start the track, you'll be able to get the most out of your tracking time without taking any undue risk at pull time.

That said, you can eventually learn to manage your track such that you can tightly control your airspeed during the track and while pulling in a track. This is something that should be reserved for several hundred jumps down the road, when you freefall time (and number of deployments) have built up significantly.

I have done it a couple of times by mistake and I am now a lot more careful to give myself plenty of time to slow down.

My first jump this season I Dumped while in a track because I was anxious about pulling at the right altitude (pre A license). This error of judgement resulted in me being pulled extremely quickly in the opposite direction and my leg becoming tangled in my risers. Thankfully my shoe came off and I returned to a normal position. A friend told me to make sure I slowed down to a safe speed and to take the extra seconds to breathe and stableize before pulling.

Being pulled in the opposite direction would have moved you legs and feet away from the opening canopy. It sounds like you were in a head down position rather then a track.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

In normal freefall you are falling vertically at 120 mph. In a track you are falling a some speed less than 120 mph vertically. Some of your vertical speed is changed to horizontal speed. But a no time are you exceeding 120 mph. This can only happen if you go head down into a dive. Since you haven’t increased your speed or your weight there will be no increase in opening loads. The thing that has changed is relative wind. This will cause your body to rotate to a greater degree.

This is another urban myth that has been repeated so often it became fact.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals