LVjayhawk15

better arch

So im in AFF and when im on the ground I arch 'perfect' 4 out of 5 times...however once I get in the air and i get the 'arch' signal, i bend my knees...any other tricks to making myself do it better in the air? Ive begun practicing standing up and touching my 'belt to the door frame' but when i get in the air my knees bend....

thoughts/tricks? anything mentally i can picture on the way down?

thanks!
I bust mine so I can kick yours.

Gary the Instructor pulled me aside very early on in my AFF training. I forget if it was my 2 or 3. He's was like "Dude relax! Here, put your hand up like you're holding a beer. Now put your other hand up like you're holding a beer. Now pretend you're about to pee." I don't know if that helps, but it was pretty funny.

Now I'm told I have a beautiful arch, and that I don't really need to arch at all. *sigh*...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

True! But it seems like an entirely unreasonable suggestion on your first few jumps! Everyone's all like "Ooh I never really felt the air until I relaxed!" or "It got a lot better for me when I relaxed!" and you're like "No! F that! I'm about to jump out of a F'n airplane and I am NOT GOING TO RELAX!" Then you do it a few times, get used to it, relax, and then you're all like "Oh... so that's what they were talking about!"

Heh heh heh
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Everything you just said is true. i for one had a terrible arch my first few jumps. I used to chip all over the place.

Until that one jump,number 3 I found the art of "relaxation" and piece of mind and then it all came together.

Nobody said it was easy but it is doable:)

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

When I went to the wind tunnel after failing my level 3 twice for similar reasons, my coach made it super simple. breathe, keep your legs shoulder width apart (too wide makes it very hard to arch), and most importantly "stick your dick in the ground"

They clicked very easily for me and all the frustration I had was gone. I don't worry about anything other then sticking my dick in the ground and it made me have a very nice arch while keeping me relaxed. After awhile it just becomes natural.

1. Smile, Breathe, Relax.

2. Chin UP!

3. Smile, Breathe, Relax.

4. "Pee in the snow without getting your shoes wet"

5. Smile, Breathe, Relax.

6. "Dick to the dirt"

7. Smile, Breathe, Relax.B|B|B|

Been there, done that. I remember vividly the jump when the "relax" concept clicked.

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

It can be hard to control your body on those early jumps. I did some AFF and then some SL jumps. Hanging on the wing strut I kept getting the ARCH signal. Clamping tight my butt muscles helped. I can't say how well I held it after release, but it was a help in getting started right, giving the pissing drunk pose while hanging there.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I would strongly suggest the wind tunnel. Tell them your concerns and let then instructors get you to the stage where you do it naturally.

Makes no sense to go back to the 70's 80's and 90's when all we had was advice. We have wind tunnels now, and they are one of the great advances in our sport for these types of problems.

I doubt you'll remember all of the "dick to the dirt" and "pretend to pee" stuff anyway. 20-30 years ago that's all we had. Advice. Take advantage our new technology and get over this hump. It's there. My advice is to use it and not rely on the "dick"/ "pee" "push the bush" and whatever other stuff was good in the previous era of our sport.