amir1967

Katana

Is it me or in the last few month most of fatality were people jumping katana .
now I will never blame a canopy for too low turn so maybe is the type of people which buy them ( many down sizing from 135 short recovery to 120 which is much higher in performance class.

maybe it's only me that see it and my intention is not to blame anyone.

I did waited with this post for a while and now again katana incident (Germany).

I think it was about the same when the Crossfire came out.

But maybe I see it all wrong,
I would like to know what other think.

fly safe
AM67

It seems a lot of people think that because the Katana is not a X-braced canopy that it's a Stiletto like replacement. It is CERTAINLY NOT and is just barely below a X-brace in it's performance characteristics.

That and people want the hottest new toys.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

me thinks a katana is a canopy wich is a crossbraced, without the crossbraces...:)
im really tired of the term "crossbraced" being used to "name" a high performance canopy!.....

katana...= HIGH performance!.....

.... i may be wrong. but, from a marketing aspect. you can buy and fly a high performance canopy "katana".... without paying the crossbraced price!.... it cost more to sew all that shit in there......

>Is it me or in the last few month most of fatality were people jumping katana .

>I think it was about the same when the Crossfire came out.

And when the Suprema (or whatever the next ultra HP canopy is called) comes out, it will seem like everyone is dying under one of those. It will be the latest new swoop machine that everyone wants and no one (at first) knows how to fly. There is a sort of skydiver attracted to the fastest, smallest, most extreme canopy out there, and these are also the sort of skydivers who end up in the Incidents forum with great regularity.

But if they didn't have Katanas it would be Crossfires, or Extremes, or Stilettos, or Novas. The one constant is the skydiver.

But if they didn't have Katanas it would be Crossfires, or Extremes, or Stilettos, or Novas. The one constant is the skydiver.

Hear, Hear!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Exactly - blaming a canopy for a death is like blaming a gun for murder when the trigger is pulled!

The person controlling(?) the canopy is the one ultimately responsible for bringing their own asses in safely.

I might add that I would LOVE to have a Crossfire 2 as my next canopy. I have jumped a BT Pro Series 120 for the last 2,000 plus jumps as well and laugh when people call them "Blue smacks." Had 3 bad openings in the above number of jumps. UNDERSTAND the canopy you fly, what it can do and how it does it!!

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Im really tired of the term "crossbraced" being used to "name" a high performance canopy!.....

Me too! The crossbracing is not what adds performance, it's one way to deal with the added stress on a canopy when you build it to perform a certain way. It's like saying a particular car is not going to be dangerously fast because look, it doens't have a five-point harness.

Crossbracing is indicative of a HP canopy... the lack of crossbracing is in no way indicative that it is not HP though.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

It seems a lot of people think that because the Katana is not a X-braced canopy that it's a Stiletto like replacement. It is CERTAINLY NOT and is just barely below a X-brace in it's performance characteristics.

That and people want the hottest new toys.

Blues,
Ian

You hit the nail right on the head, my brother.

I'm pondering going from my XFire2 to a Katana but I was also thinking of possibly upsizing due to the fact that they don't glide nearly as flat. Does anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't?

What are you looking for in the change?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA