FreeflyIndian

Packing prices

Hey guys

Doing a bit of research and looking to find out what packing prices are like at other dz's. Appreciate it if you could respond with the following:
DZ: (If you want to, not super important though)
Packing price (excl. tip):
Typical tip (if it applies):
Jump ticket price:
Exit altitude:
Price of ave. 6 pack of beer:

If you've got the time the info would be appreciated.

Stay safe! :)

DZ: Teuge
Packing price (excl. tip): 4 euros
Typical tip (if it applies): none :(
Jump ticket price: 26 euros (-1 for members)
Exit altitude: 12000 ft
Price of ave. 6 pack of beer: 5 euros
"So I jump out, look up, and think 'Oh SHIT!...

It's PINK!!!'"
- army guy after his first staticline jump

Hey guys

Doing a bit of research and looking to find out what packing prices are like at other dz's. Appreciate it if you could respond with the following:
Packing price (excl. tip):
Jump ticket price:
Exit altitude:

If you've got the time the info would be appreciated.

Stay safe! :)

I'd love to see a couple more questions before this goes too far (unless you guys don't think they should be in there).

Do you set your own brakes? Pilot chute? Slider? Or does the price include the packer do it?

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

The price is for a complete pack job. If the thing is a tangled mess I would certainly kick over a few bucks. My view is that I hand them an unpacked, untouched rig that needs no additional work in return for the agreed price. I usually tip anyway. Sometimes I do that stuff to be helpful but the expectation is that I can land, hand them a rig and get on the next load.

Do you set your own brakes? Pilot chute? Slider? Or does the price include the packer do it?

The price is for a complete pack job. If the thing is a tangled mess I would certainly kick over a few bucks. My view is that I hand them an unpacked, untouched rig that needs no additional work in return for the agreed price. I usually tip anyway. Sometimes I do that stuff to be helpful but the expectation is that I can land, hand them a rig and get on the next load.

I have no problem using a paid packer - even have a select few I trust to pack full RDS during comps for me.

However - Even then I stow my brakes, re-attache my slider, and cock my own pilot chute. These are the important steps that can get you in a LOT of trouble if the packer misses them in a rush.

On a random DZ packer with just fun jumping setup, I still do all three, cause that is taking responsibility for the prep work for them cause I value my openings, but don't feel like mucking around with putting it in the bag.

Besides, most places I know, if you drop a rig complete shit mangled, the packer isn't even gonna touch it.

YMMV.

DZ: Skydivesouthsask
Packing price (excl. tip):$10 Student/$15 Tandem
Typical tip (if it applies):Jump ticket is normally a tip for a dedicated packer.
Jump ticket price:24 for members/ 18.86 with jump tickets
Exit altitude:10.5ft
Price of ave. 6 pack of beer:We only buy cases 41 ish

PS: A real case is a 24.
PS2: This is in canadian dollar so it is like 1.5 to the us dollar ;)

DZ: Rapla city. club name ELAK
Packing price (excl. tip): 5 eur
Typical tip (if it applies): N/A
Jump ticket price: 23 EUR
Exit altitude: 3500 last year, this year 4000 (new plane)
Price of ave. 6 pack of beer: 5-6 EUR

Being a smaller club everyone packs themselves except students, then one of us has to pack it. We get the 5 EUR above to our jump accounts. Students can attend free packing courses from day 1 if they want to save that 5 EUR and pack themselves.

I wish I could help you out with your survey, but I don't use packers. I think a pack job runs $6 at my DZ.

Beyond that, I wanted to comment on the use of 'beer' as a tip that everyone seems so fond of.

Let's keep in mind that packing is work. Hard, physical labor. Anyone who is packing for pay is there for the money, and I would guess that the more money they make the better. So if you wnat to tip your packer, go with cash, and if they want to spend it on beer, they can. If they want to spend it on something else, they can do that too. You can only do one thing with beer.

Think about the reality for a second. Let's say a packer has 5 sport jumpers they pack for on a given day. If each of them rounds up their payment at the end of the day, and gives them an extra $4 or $5, that's $20/$25 more in their pocket. If everyone gives them a sixer of beer, that's no extra cash, and now they have 30 beers. Unless you have a real drinking problem, nobody needs 30 beers per day.

If you tip cash, that turns into $40 or $50 over the course of a weekend, and that's good money that can really add up. Remember, the only reason to pack is for the money. Do you think your packer wants an extra $200/mo, or 240 beers/mo?

If you want to bring them a cold beer at the end of the day, by all means, do so. That would be appreciated for sure, but as a replacement for a cash tip (even a 6-pack), maybe give that another thought.

Now when it comes to an instructor/coach who spent the day jumping with you, I would still say cash, but a good 6-pack isn't as bad as when you're dealing with your packer. There's a chance that the instructor/coach is doing the work for the love of the sport. Jumping all day is way more enjoyable than packing all day, I know a bunch of financially secure people who will spend all weekend 'working hard' as an instructor/coach because they like it, but I can't say the same about one single packer. On top of that, if the guy spent the day jumping with you, the tip you give is the only tip they're going to get. So if they made $100/$150 jumping with you, getting a $5 is not a big deal, but a 6-pack would be more useful. If they're only getting one sixer, and you crack one open with them, that's where 'beer' becomes a realisitic tip for services rendered.

DZ: Eloy
Packing price (excl. tip): $5 for sub 100 sqft; $6 ; $7 for over 170 (I think) sqft
Typical tip (if it applies): what float your boat
Jump ticket price: $25
Exit altitude: 13,500 ft
Price of ave. 6 pack of beer: Cheap stuff, or good stuff?
Remster

Home DZ. Currently in Belgium and haven't jumped yet.

DZ: Skydive Alabama
Packing price (excl. tip): $5
Jump ticket price: $20
Exit altitude: 13,500
Price of ave. 6 pack of beer: $4

At $5 to pack, I may never pack again. I did it once for my A license and then packed one and jumped it. Haven't done it since. I really should practice from time to time.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

The best thing about packing for yourself if how much more you know about your gear, and knowledge is power and safety.

Also, you can still jump when there are no packers available.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The best thing about packing for yourself if how much more you know about your gear, and knowledge is power and safety.

Also, you can still jump when there are no packers available.

Wendy P.

Definitely...

But, when competing or training, I really don't want to pack. I think it's actually counter productive.
Remster

DZ: Picton
Packing price (excl. tip): $8
Typical tip (if it applies): Be nice to your mother
Jump ticket price: $28 (bulk 250 tickets), 1 ticket 42, 10 tickets 36
Exit altitude: 13,500
Price of ave. 6 pack of beer: $16 guess

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply. The point of the beer was to use it as a really unofficial country price comparison, an index so to speak, to adjust for the different living costs in different countries. I understand the shortfalls of this method but thought it would be a fun fact nonetheless.

I fully agree in paying in cash and letting the person spend the money on whatever they choose - be it beer, jumps, or bail money... :-)

Thanks for the input

Packing price (excl. tip): $60
Typical tip (if it applies): Beer
Jump ticket price: Don't care
Exit altitude: Don't care
Don't know, that's my customers problem :)

The perks of being a rigger. B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

But, when competing or training socializing, I really don't want to pack. I think it's actually counter productive.

There's my answer. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon