sandi

time off from skydiving - keep gear or sell?

I've been out of skydiving for several years now and it will likely be a few more before I start again. I haven't been willing to give up my weekend time with my daughter. But at some point she won't want to hang out with her mommy anymore. That will probably be when I'm ready to start jumping again. I've hung on to most of my gear but maybe I should just sell it and buy more when I start jumping again.

Those of you who have had long layoffs from skydiving and have returned later, did you keep your gear or sell?

At the rate things change these days it's more economically advantageous to sell your rig now while it retains more value & usefulness...replacing it with current stuff when you're ready to come back.

Keep the suit, hat & jewelry! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

:)
Is money an issue? I would worry more about getting up to speed. How long a lay off? Any wind tunnel time?

Some may argue about this one but if it has been awile how about retaking the AFF course?

New gear, how old is your old gear? There have been some improvments in gear. The optimum reserve, packs smaller, so you can increase reserve size as an example...

Just some thoughts,

Good luck whatever you do,...
C

perhaps more information might help, some riggers won't touch certian gear anymore as another example...
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Just some ideas with no solution:

As with everything it depends. Is it older gear that you won't get much for? If the capital sitting in the closet is less, one will be more likely to keep it. How much stuff can one afford to keep around, or what depreciation can one affort? How will the prices change? Older gear might become nearly unsellable, or keep its (low) value if the components are still valued in future years. Newer gear might depreciate more in actual dollar amounts, yet still be pretty current some years from now. A Cypres of course is losing value just sitting around. How customized is the gear? Will it be hard to find something to fit when buying again?

It can be hard to tell. For example, old Sabre 1's are still seen around, but getting a bit rarer. They have sold around DZ's but not for that much. In 5 years, would the jumper coming back from a layoff still want that canopy, or want to upgrade anyway? Even if they are still around now, maybe in 5 years they will be hard to sell at all because there'll be too many good priced Sabre 2's and Pilots around.

If its not about the money... keep your gear.

Then you have this tangible thing connecting you to this amazing thing we do... all you need is a repack and the world is your again ;)

Just my personal experience with a 16 year layoff.

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

My gear is all from 2002/2003. Does anyone foresee any serious changes that would make me not want this gear in say 4 years?

I did sell my cypress and my reserve. But I kept my container and main.

My suit doesn't fit me anymore (and I just don't think my waist will ever be as small as it was pre-baby [:/]). But it was custom made for me and may be hard to sell (I'm 5'0").

If its not about the money... keep your gear.

Then you have this tangible thing connecting you to this amazing thing we do... all you need is a repack and the world is your again ;)

Just my personal experience with a 16 year layoff.

I think that is why I've kept it. I feel like selling means I'm not a skydiver anymore and I lose that connection to the sport I love.

I love hearing that you had 16 years off. I've been out for about 8 years now and I keep thinking that the longer I go without skydiving the less likely I am to go back. I miss it, but I just don't have the time now. My priorities changed when I became a mom. But I guess the sky will still be there when my daughter is older.

I got out for a few years and sold one rig...but kept my second and all my other gear. I was glad I did keep one rig when I got back in.... I was able to get back in pretty quickly (Cypres 8 year and bats, repack, and I was back in the air). Would have taken a lot longer if I had to save up $$$ to get another rig.

One thing to look into is the local DZ's to verify that it still around, there has been a lot of changes in the Indiana dropzone scene in the last 5 years so factor the location of the new DZ into your plans also.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think that is why I've kept it. I feel like selling means I'm not a skydiver anymore and I lose that connection to the sport I love.

Good reason to keep the 'other' goodies! ;)

Here's MY reasoning ~ I've kept every parachute I've ever owned...for 38 years now. Sure it has some sentimental value but now taking a more pragmatic and logical look at it...I've let TONS of capital literally waste way.

Back when a lot of this gear was 'current' I could have sold it not only for the monetary gain, but to help a n00b get rolling in the sport.

Things actually change fairly quick these days, probably planned obsolesces to a degree, but none the less what's 'new' is usually better.

You have to ask yourself if/when you decide to return to active participation...do ya really want less than the best available?

I have an entire 'man-cave' upstairs full of gear that 'should' be been used for what it was intended...instead, there it sits all sad & lonely - remembering the good ole days when it got to go out & play. [:/]

If $ isn't a concern...ya still might want to think about 'paying it forward' and helping someone with $ concerns get a decent rig at a fair price.

I'm kind of doing that now with some of the still useful stuff I've rat-holed, I've given away about a dozen jumpsuits, several helmets, an altimeter, an older model dytter...I don't need it, someone else 'le$$ fortunate' can get some use & enjoyment out of the things taking up space.

Remember...the bag of nylon in the closet isn't what makes you a skydiver ~ it's the chill ya get looking up! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

One thing to look into is the local DZ's to verify that it still around, there has been a lot of changes in the Indiana dropzone scene in the last 5 years so factor the location of the new DZ into your plans also.

Actually, I won't be in Indiana much longer, so that's not a factor. I'm finishing up a postdoctoral fellowship and interviewing for jobs now. So, I'm not sure where I'll end up permanently. Maybe I should wait to see where I get a job before I decide anything about my gear.

My gear is all from 2002/2003. Does anyone foresee any serious changes that would make me not want this gear in say 4 years?

I did sell my cypress and my reserve. But I kept my container and main.

My suit doesn't fit me anymore (and I just don't think my waist will ever be as small as it was pre-baby [:/]). But it was custom made for me and may be hard to sell (I'm 5'0").

I say keep the rig and main/reserve. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If it fits you, keep it. 5'0" can be a challenge when finding a rig to fit.

My rig is from 2003. It's an Infinity. They have changed only slightly. Javelins have changed only slightly as well. No need to upgrade when there's nothing to upgrade.

Good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Keep it. I had a very long layoff, I kept my gear and I am glad I did

That would be my vote, too. I did the same thing (13 years), and having my old gear meant that I could wait for the perfect used rig to come along. Since everything had changed, I had to learn what the new gear was like and would do before I chose.

Plus that way when I came back into the sport I was jumping something I was familiar with. Of course, people did make fun of me :ph34r:. But gear has changed a whole lot less in the last 13 years than it did in the previous 13.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Because of your size, I think it would be more difficult for you to find good, used gear in the future because your choices will be slim. So, I vote for keeping your gear if you don't need the cash for something else right now. I'm still jumping with my container from 2002 and it's holding up just fine.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I bought a 1999 container used in 2002 after I'd been jumping again for about a year and a half. I'm still jumping it and the reserve that came with it. If it's 2002 gear, it'll be fine for another 10 years based on how long I saved my old gear :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi S

Due to the hi costof rental gear $50/day this might be a good time to list it in the classifieds forum.

You might be surprised at what you can get for the used gear. Don't like the price your offered , keep it.:D

Enjoy you daughter the sky's not going anywhere;)

You're a little person it might take a while to sell your gear to another little one. Maybe someone will make you a offer you can't refuse:ph34r:

So, I guess I'm going to keep it. It is pretty hard to find gear that fits me (my Javelin has a 13-inch harness).

I also just had a job interview in Southern California. If I end up moving there I may be inspired to start jumping again sooner.:)