SoCalFunJumper

Think I can find a good rig for $3,500?

I think it was around $ 1700. This is my second Infinity, love them.

Yep, love Infinity rigs. I'm on my 2nd one, though it was a lot cheaper brand new in 1998 at about $650. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

In 2006 I scored an awesome deal on Ebay for a barely used Icon, Pilot, Smart Reserve, and Cypress II with 10 years left on the clock... for 3500.

I think those deals are few and far in between now.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

$3500 is a good budget. You can get a really nice rig, or a pretty nice rig with a Cypres (or other AAD, but get a Cypres if you want an AAD).

Don't limit yourself to SoCal, although there is probably a good chance of finding a rig there. Anything you buy needs to be inspected by a rigger, and sellers should understand this and be willing to accomodate you.

Test jumps are 'iffy'. Unless you plan to take full responsibility for loss or damage (in writing) I would not expect a seller to let you jump anything. You could try it on for harness, but the serial number and a call to the manufacturer with your measurements should tell you what you need to know.

Check out the classifieds here, and post any ads that peak your interest. We can let you know what we think, and someone might be able to vouch for the seller.

I have had real good luck with Dropzone classifieds and have bought my rig, helmets, altimeters etc from classifieds. However also consider if you buy a package some parts may not be optimum for your use, my first container was nice(Javelin old but almost no use) However I ditched the first main because it was really bad. Old 9-cell F-111 Hard opening version. I then bought a cheap used main used that for about a hundred jumps(it was $265) Then finally rationalized getting a new Triathlon main which I love. Now my used cypress expired so I just bought a new Vigil which should be good for 20 yrs.
I think this way I jumped regularly w/ money its just spread out over a longer time ! Also some of that Midwest and east coast gear gets allot less wear/sun/uv damage so it may be in better condition.

I purchased a rig with 3+ years o the Cypress, a Pilot main with about 150 jumps, a somewhat older reserve in good condition, in a Mirage G3 that was in good condition, for just a little less than $3500.

Waiting to find the right deal and fit can be hard.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Word! test jumps are iffy and I really don't need to do that. Knowing whom the rig is coming from is key. I agree a rigger should be the mediator on what is what. I'll be patient. I've seen some pretty sick rigs fully decked go for less than $3,500. I've been waiting for quite some time so I think holding out for that awesome deal while its cold is a good idea.

Knowing whom the rig is coming from is key. I agree a rigger should be the mediator on what is what.

Just to clarify, knowing who the rig is comign from is less important than knowing what the rig really is, and that's what the rigger is for.

The riggers role is more than just mediator for the deal. Truth is, anyone can mediate the deal, provided that both parties trust their 'business integrity'.

The rigger is there to inspect the gear, and that's how you find out 'what' it really is. For starters, they check that the gear is airworthy, meaning it's safe to jump. Additionally, they can check the serial numbers against various stolen gear databases, and they can check for any applicable ADs or SBs (mods the factory suggests/requires for safety) and if they have been done to the rig.

Don't ever buy any part of a rig used (main, reserve, container, AAD) without a rigger inspecting it. Helmets, jumpsuits, altimeters, etc are one thing, any part of a rig you need an inspection to really be sure of what you're getting.

Check out Chutingstar gear store. They do an escrow deal where they handle the gear and payments for private party sales, and all you have to pay for is the inspection. You and the seller send them the gear and the money, they will inspect, report, and then ship the gear and money to the 'new owners' if all is good. It's an easy way to buy gear from someone you don't know.

I've been waiting so long to get a rig and now I finally have what I feel like is enough money to land my hands on a nice starter rig. I'm hoping to find something local to southern CA so I can check the gear out in person and possibly test jump. Any way nice to meet you.

You're welcome Rusty - I know you'll enjoy it! B|

Ya owe me a :D;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've been waiting so long to get a rig and now I finally have what I feel like is enough money to land my hands on a nice starter rig. I'm hoping to find something local to southern CA so I can check the gear out in person and possibly test jump. Any way nice to meet you.

Call Ralph and see what he has on the shelf. I you know your measurements, particularly the Main Lift Web and yoke that will help.

I have a buddy getting out of the sport, saw a good match here & SoCalFunJumper now has a really nice rig & enough left in the budget to put it in the breeze...B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~