platein

Altimeter on the right hand?

Hi there!

Maybe a stupid question, but: are there some safety related issues wearing the altimeter on the right hand (instead of left)? As for example getting tangled with your bridle or something...

I am asking because I have only seen left-hand mounted altimeters so far, however, intuetively I would wear it on my right hand (i also wear watches on my right, even tough I am a righty).

Cheers!

Wearing an altimeter adds complexity and failure points however small they might be. Your altimeter could start coming off as you go to pull, could twist around and prevent a clean grab of the pilot chute, as well as many other distractions.

Why add these complications to the hand that has the most work to do, when you presumably have another one? When you advance in your skydiving career, (maybe become a TI), you can add complexity, but as a student, keep it simple.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Which hand do you pull your main with? Having less to interfere with that (or possibly entangle with the pilot chute or bridle) is a good idea.

I'm a lefty, and I wear my watch on my right. When I started, I wanted to wear my altimeter there too, but the instructors pointed out why they didn't think it was a good idea.

I'm not sure why it's okay to have it on the hand that will pull the reserve handle, but that's the way I was taught, and the way everyone else does it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You have three jumps. Doesn't every piece of skydiving equipment you put on feel unfamiliar at this point?

You'll get used to it. Really, you will. Why, you may even find yourself putting your watch on the left.

And completely OT - Who wears a watch nowadays anyway?

An altimeter on the right MAY increase the risk of bridle entanglement, resulting in a horseshoe malfunction.

yep.

Though fwiw, when I do AFF, I wear mine on my right hand. It's fairly unnatural to have it over there, but I have a neptune and I got sick of students trying to tear the thing off my hand when they reach for the BOC.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

[replyPulling it with my right, which i feel comfortable with. However, i have been wearing all my watches on my right - therefore having the altimeter on my left is somehow... unfamiliar.

I am left handed and wear a watch on my right. Initially I felt the same as you, but as many have discussed the problem of entanglement was also addressed with me. I tried the left hand and found very quickly that it became natural.

Sometimes I wonder if people who read the altimeter on a not "natural" hand tend to READ the altimeter better. Since looking and reading that way is not natural I believe people tend to be more thoughtful resulting in actually reading the altimeter. Like I started, I wonder....no actual facts to this, just thought and theory.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

are there some safety related issues wearing the altimeter on the right hand (instead of left)? As for example getting tangled with your bridle or something...

That plus, (from pchapman) Having the alti on your left allows you to start reaching back to pull with the right, while still checking the alti with the left.

Left-handed pull? Alti on right.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm not sure why it's okay to have it on the hand that will pull the reserve handle

The reserve handle is less likely to entangle with a altimeter (no hackey, bridle, or PC to snag). It's also accessible with either hand.
Owned by Remi #?

I'm not sure why it's okay to have it on the hand that will pull the reserve handle

The reserve handle is less likely to entangle with a altimeter (no hackey, bridle, or PC to snag). It's also accessible with either hand.

Good points. Thank you.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Good points. Thank you.

No problem. It's also worth pointing out that even if you *did* somehow get your alti stuck on your reserve handle, you could probably still pull down and deploy. Way different than having your PC wrapped around your wrist.
Owned by Remi #?

Good points. Thank you.

No problem. It's also worth pointing out that even if you *did* somehow get your alti stuck on your reserve handle, you could probably still pull down and deploy. Way different than having your PC wrapped around your wrist.

Yeah, the thought that the reserve handle is a ripcord not a throw out occurred to me.

Though fwiw, when I do AFF, I wear mine on my right hand. It's fairly unnatural to have it over there, but I have a neptune and I got sick of students trying to tear the thing off my hand when they reach for the BOC.

Hey, that's how I failed my level 2. Turns out altis feel kinda like handles :$

I'm not sure why it's okay to have it on the hand that will pull the reserve handle, but that's the way I was taught, and the way everyone else does it.

1- Well, you have to wear it somewhere!:D

2- It doesn't matter if the reserve ripcord entangles with it. You just need to pull it, not throw it.

3- By the time you pull your reserve, you should be done looking at your altimeter.

4- When I started, the altimeter was on top of the reserve. But then they put the reserve on the back, behind your head, and it made it really hard to read the altimeter then. :)

Have you considered a chest mounted altimeter ?

I know several that still use that. I have one for my wingsuit and occasionally wear it on regular loads too. Used to be you never looked at your own altimeter doing RW. You would just glance around at everyone else's chest mount altimeters. :)

Have you considered a chest mounted altimeter ?

I know several that still use that. I have one for my wingsuit and occasionally wear it on regular loads too. Used to be you never looked at your own altimeter doing RW. You would just glance around at everyone else's chest mount altimeters. :)

I had a buddy in college that had one mounted on the front of his helmet...didn't do HIM much good but the rest of us were grateful! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~