stanbridge

Long hair and deployment dangers (risers).

I've been skydiving for a bit more than 5 years now and over the past few years I've grown my hair to midway down my back. When I'm skydiving (freeflying 95% of the time) I have my hair tied back. I stuff it down the back of my jumpsuit but, with the implied air speed, it doesn't always stay down there as you can imagine.

Every now and then I have a quick nightmare vision of my hair getting caught in my risers on deployment - subsequently scalping this stubborn long-haired git who won't get a haircut.

Has anybody ever heard of cases where this (or similar) has actually happened?

If so, does anybody have any recommendations to prevent this from happening? - (besides the obvious "get a haircut ya hippie!")

Cheers

The link to that other forum has some good advise.
I used to just do the pony tail and struggle for days after to get all the knots out. One day, our video guy came up to me after a jump and said that I needed to do something with my hair. His concern wasn't specific to the risers on deployment - his was specific to the risers during a cutaway - he was afraid they could tangle when leaving. He didn't say he knew of this happening, but just the thought of it even being slightly possible made me change my ways. I do the 'swim cap' option mentioned in that other forum. It works great, and now I never have to deal with knots and horrible tangles. Approx $15 and so very worth it!

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

I stole the amyvon method. I put my hair in a pony tail on top of my head. I put on a cloth headband to hold back my bangs and other loose hairs. Then, I put on a spandex Speedo swim cap. This keeps my hair out of the way the best, and doing it this way, I never get tangles in my hair (even in the wind tunnel!)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I just got about 3 inches cut off my hair which was down to my butt. I used to do pigtail braids, but found I was getting beaten up when freeflying. Now I do one braid in the back, and have never had a problem with it even snagging a little on anything. The other forum had some very helpful hints, good luck. Now I'm thinking twice, maybe a swim cap isn't a bad idea!

Muff Brother 3723

The DZ where I jump, all the tandem master carry hook knifes with them. good thing because one gal was jumping with pig tails and on deployment her hair got caught in the three rings and got stuck . The only thing the TM could do was cut her pig tail off to relieve the pain of her hair being pulled.
I've seen girls with long hair put it up in a silk swimming cap looking hat.
For me...... my hair is stuck at one length and doesn't tend to get past my shoulders due to split ends and getting hair cuts to keep it healthy.
If God wanted man to stay on the ground.
He would of put roots on them instead of feet.
loving life
GO-N-UP

If you're a guy braiding it is a serious hassle - I do it for one of the guys at my DZ and it works for him.

I have had the misfortune of getting my hair entangled in my risers when I started jumping, and quickly learned to get it out of the way.

I didn't get scalped, but it did hurt quite a bit.

I've started freeflying now, and the best I've found is putting your hair in a pony tail, and then fold it in half and tuck it under your goggle strap. Put the helmet on over it all and nothing moves until you take the helmet off......

But the easy option is the short hair route..!!

Blue skies and soft landings,
Marti.

Depending on the type of helmet you use, the speedo swim cap works great for long hair and no tangles or split ends. . .love it. If you use a full face, you can just use a ponytail holder and catch the pony into the helmet. . .I still prefer the swim cap. . .speedo.com sells them. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

The swim cap sounds like a good idea. I generally spend about 30 minutes in the shower with a comb trying to sort out what a day of jumping causes.

I have an old Mountain Hard Wear skull cap helmet liner around here somewhere... should do the same trick. For those of you who keep jumping in the cold, it's not a bad idea. Ran me about $15 or $20 from an REI-like store a while back.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I knew you would chime in on this post, your pony tails are a big talk, and "no it's not that". The talk is
that if you dont constrian them they will kick your ass
in freefall, but you have faired pretty well so far. It just made me laugh when i read the post and low and behold there was huka551, Still LMAO

I carry a nylon cap in the store that sells for $4. They're not on my web site, but I guess I could update that.

The other day I felt my pig tail dancing with my riser on opening. Reminer that my hair is getting long again. Time to tuck that stuff away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!