base388

Pd Spectre Openings

That might be going a little far.

A more conservative approach would be to just downsize the slider. Call PD and see what size they reccomend.

A less expensive approach would be just tug on the rear risers mid-snivel, or whenever you're ready for the opening to be over and the canopy ride to begin.

Just a word of caution. I have heard the Spectre has some great openings...never jumped one myself. However, some of the hardest openings I've seen and heard (you know, those openings where you are out front of then hanger and look up and say OUCH!) have been with Spectres.

Enjoy the snivel :)
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Just a word of caution. I have heard the Spectre has some great openings...never jumped one myself. However, some of the hardest openings I've seen and heard (you know, those openings where you are out front of then hanger and look up and say OUCH!) have been with Spectres.

I can confirm this. Maybe one out of a hundred will make you see stars. I will add though it seems to happen most often with an aging lineset.

I can confirm this. Maybe one out of a hundred will make you see stars. I will add though it seems to happen most often with an aging lineset.

same here I had a good slammer a while back had the lines checked out and they were way out of trim. after getting them changed out I realized my openings had been getting different now I know that is a sign I need new lines
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I have 1200 jumps on a Spectre with no slammers. However... I have a friend who broke her back from a slammer under a Spectre!

Line sets matter. Last time I changed the line set on my Spectre, it's snivel got 200 feet shorter!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I've had two of them and all but one opening was great. The snivel didn't seem to be a problem and I enjoyed the ride. The one bad opening had me seeing stars.

Replaced the last Spectre with a Storm and it too has great openings except for one several weeks ago that had me seeing stars!

Events simply occur....
Dano

When do most get new linesets? 400?

I probably had 1200 on mine when I got rid of it. I can't remember if I bought the new line or the person I sold it to sent it off.

Keep in mind these are not the new type lines that you have to keep a really close eye on and if you happen to break a line on a Spectre it's probably not going to kill you.

:)
You have asked a bit of a loaded question, perhaps the safe response, and I'm not being funny or cute or belittling you in any way, is untill you find a canopy that is more to your liking, peerhaps you should consider opening higher ? You are perfectly free to modify your slider, then you become a test jumper...which is what would be the most likley outcome if you call PD. I suspect they will ask if your rolling the nose, aka the Saber 2? You can try leaving out the middle cell or even perhaps pulling it to the front, but I really don't even like suggestiing that one. I only mention this because you haven't mentioned anything about how you are packing.

Many people have chosen a Spectre just for its opening characteristics. Now in a sense you come along and ask for advice to change this whole stratgie....:)
Good luck and stay safe....
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Could this just be the result of a shit packjob, since "it'll open soft anyways"?

I managed to get shit openings on my Spectre, was due to inconsistency in the bungees I used.

:)
In the past I've seen many threads where interested readers have pointed out that the question being asked, ...has not been specifically answered.

Kudo's for us that have spectres, and have chosen to not directly answere this question. Considering the number of responses so far, I think the OP has his / her answere, there are years of skydiving experience here and it shows!! :)
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I jumped with a CRW team that used Spectres. ( I am using the term "team" loosely.) We experimented with mesh sliders. The problem is that Spectres have a small nose are are not designed to open quickly. It was an unpleasant experience.

I don't like mesh sliders much on a Lightning, either. I think that CRW dogs are generally getting away from them. They can slam you so hard that if for some reason you do not pull within 3 seconds you'll be looking for silver. Lightnings and Storms are designed to be used with a mesh slider (clear and pull only.) Of the three, the Storm had the best opening, IMHO. More than five seconds of freefall with a Spectre and a mesh slider could cause injury, I would think.

Not worth the risk. Burst aeorta anyone?
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy