Rainmagnet

Rob Stanley injured in Thailand.? - scam or real?

There is a message currently circulating (mainly on Facebook I believe) saying that Rob Stanley has been injured in Thailand while doing a beach jump and appealing for funds to pay for his treatment and repatriation..

Since several of these "injured overseas please help" scams were doing the rounds a while ago, Im a bit cynical so would like to know if anyone actually knows Rob Stanley and whether this appeal is genuine?

His facebook profile (with updates and appeals from people who appear to be genuine) is here; https://www.facebook.com/rob.stanley.35175

If anyone has first-hand knowledge - please post.

Thanks

This is not a scam.

Rob was injured during a BASE jump. He's stuck in a hospital with no insurance and his friends are trying to get him back home from Thailand so that he can receive better care.

It is set up thru PayPal, which is a trusted site. If you see one other than PayPal I would be leary.

This is not a scam.

Rob was injured during a BASE jump. He's stuck in a hospital with no insurance and his friends are trying to get him back home from Thailand so that he can receive better care.

It is set up thru PayPal, which is a trusted site. If you see one other than PayPal I would be leary.

Is he from the Cincinnati area?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Real or not, if you travel internationally you should have a good international medical and evacuation policy.

I have one through iHi Bupa and it was about $300 for a year including a nice fat liability rider.

Agreed, but last time I dug through the small print on iHi's policies (before the Nicaragua boogie last year when I bought a policy for it), they'd excluded BASE. I know it used to be a favorite for both skydivers and BASE jumpers, but now it looks like it's no longer an option for BASE. I don't know if the BASE community has discovered a viable alternative.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

This is not a scam.

So you know him and can vouch that its genuine.? I was hoping that someone who knew him or his situation personally would verify this. Thanks.

Real or not, if you travel internationally you should have a good international medical and evacuation policy.

I have one through iHi Bupa and it was about $300 for a year including a nice fat liability rider.

+1

I wouldn't give money to anyone if they didn't try covering their own ass.

Yet you'll add insult to injury for free. I wouldn't worry -- there is probably no one on the planet losing any sleep about the conditions for your impotent generosity.

Yet you'll add insult to injury for free. I wouldn't worry -- there is probably no one on the planet losing any sleep about the conditions for your impotent generosity.

I feel sorry for him, I really do, but this is an activity that is totally voluntary, costs a boat load on a good day, and is high risk.

The implication that someone is a bad person because they don't think they should be guilted into helping someone who made the choice to play the odds and not cover their own behind, is wrongly placed blame.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

It sounds like he may have insurance but even with insurance I can guarantee the people that are in Thailand helping Rob have put out cash to help get things done.
I imagine that the boat ride itself out of Ton Sai was a mission.
Insurance may cover his medical bills but there are many other expenses that occur when stuff like this happens over seas.

There is a Russian couple who were BASE jumping with Rob who are helping him while he is in hospital and taking care of things for him.
The hospital is a couple hours away from where the accident happened so there are travel and accommodation expenses being paid out of pocket.

I would hope we would all be so lucky to have friends who would help us when these kinds of things happen so far from home.

Rob is doing well and should be out of the hospital soon :)
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I know Rob. I know he is hurt in Thailand.

Are you convinced now?

Super cool guy. Awesome skydiver and Base Jumper. Have you seen the AFF video where the big plane flies right underneath the AFF people? The one that looks at the camera after the plane flies by is him.

Def Not a scam.

Wrongly placed blame??? It sounds like you people are placing blame on Rob, who is sitting in a hospital in Thailand for being a thrill seeker and spending his meager earnings on a fun adventure in his off season.

FYI Base Jumping doesn't have the same high costs as Skydiving.

Yes it's Voluntary! So is making a donation to help out someone that needs help. It's VOLUNTARY. IF you don't want to give or don't agree with a bunch of people trying to help out another person, don't make a donation and shut the fuck up!
To the best of my knowledge this is Rob's friends, NOT Rob, trying to raise some money to help get our friend out of a hospital in Thailand.

Why do we have to try and justify why NOT to help a brotha out. Have skydivers really become that mean, nasty, and greedy?

The guy is hurt. Damage done. No sense in being jerks about it at this point.

Please reread my post.

I never placed blame on anyone. I, too think that helping out someone who is in trouble is admirable.

I was merely reacting to the post that implied that someone who does not feel obligated to "volunteer" financial aid is somehow a bad person.

No one has to justify helping out some one in need, nor do they have to justify their reasoning not to. However both have every right to voice their opinion, if they choose.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Hi there,

I am not a skydiver so please excuse any incorrect terminology. I just found this message whilst searching for some information about Rob. My partner and I were in Tonsai when Rob had the accident. A few nights before the accident we had dinner with Rob who shared his BASE jumping experiences with us, talking about the jump at Tonsai and the preparation of packing his shoot; often describing the process as something his mum would be proud of. It's a real shame that Rob wasn't covered by insurance and I sure everyone on Tonsai hopes Rob makes a quick recovery.

Rohan

FYI Base Jumping doesn't have the same high costs as Skydiving.

Your right. BASE is far more expensive than skydiving if you do the math properly. For example, last I checked a ticket to Thailand is pretty expensive. Much more than a weekend at the local DZ.

Off topic I know. Carry on...