Stuntman1

skydiving in SNOW

Landing in snow can be trickey! Go out in the landing area and run around a bit to get use to it. :)

And while you are there.. drop some fallen leaves or sprigs of evergreens on top of the snow in the landing area to help with your depth perception.

And an inflatable cast, a cell phone & a 12 pack! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

We have done plenty of jumps during wintertime (low as minus 20 celsius) in Estonia.

Depends: If plane has a closed door and heating inside, you don't need much clothes. IMO most important is to wear warm gloves (leather, not woolen) and a buff around your neck. Some preferred woolen face mask, but for me it was OK without it.

But sitting in a plane without door is freaking cold. Wear warm ski-underwear + additional layer(s) of clothes under your jumpsuit and protect your fingers getting wind-chilled.

Some examples, how to suit up for winter-skydiving (old video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StLulLaFlq4

In Reply To
Landing in snow can be trickey! Go out in the landing area and run around a bit to get use to it.

And while you are there.. drop some fallen leaves or sprigs of evergreens on top of the snow in the landing area to help with your depth perception.

And an inflatable cast, a cell phone & a 12 pack!

it is late in the season so i would also check the condition of the snow in and off the landing area. If the snow has a crust to it from the freeze and thaw cycle one may want to adjust the inflatable cast to beer ratio accordingly.

Thermosuit made of 1mm neoprene, only briefs and a vest under, and your jumpsuit over. Keeps you warm even at -5°C on the ground... if you have a hangar to pack ;)

Pic looks like a human stick of roll-on deodorant! :P

As we say in Germany: Scheiße aussehen, gut fliegen. :P:P
(Look like shit, fly well. - Loses much when translated.)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Or you might ask for cross-country skier's "undergloves". They are usually made of a silk-like fabric, are really thin and keep your hands really warm. Even when you go XC skiing at -15°C for 3 hours! Ask for ODLO, they're the best, best, best!
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Ive been jumping a few times this winter in minus -18c and the best advice i can give is to think about what plane you are jumping out of, for example our winter jumps have been out of a doorless Cessna :D and thats freezing so i go with 2 layers of pants and shirts and snowboarding pants/jacket. I use my normal gloves and just keep hands protected on the way up. Hands should work fine until pull time and i dont notice that they are cold until after landing. So yea, i think its more about what plane you are in really haha. if its closed and not too much wind inside you might be able to get away with less and just shiver some on the way down.

no matter what you have on make sure that you can grab all your handles! bulky clothes put them in a different place then you're used to.

my 2 cents

EDIT* landing in the snow can be kinda weird as its not as easy to reference your distance from the ground, even some footprints or a old shirt near your landing area should help if there is nothing else.

I am looking for some advice and recommendations on WHAT TO WEAR SKYDIVING IN THE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll no doubt find a parachute to be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhwhkwE1nws

Parachutes are SO 2012
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I am looking for some advice and recommendations on WHAT TO WEAR SKYDIVING IN THE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!
What you northern people wear under those jumpsuits, on your hands, feet and necks..... . =)
Thanks for the help everyone.....

Eric
Have FUN, BE SAFE, LIVE LEGENDARY

I wear wool, pants, a fleece and my jumpsuit. Warm socks. Double set of gloves (I don't have any good winter gloves). I usually put my gloves inside my jumpsuit and warm my hands in my armpits if it's really cold in the plane. Then I won't have time to get cold hands when I'm jumping. Cold hands are the absolute WORST. I don't mind my feet freezing or anything else, but the hands. Bahhh. Once I jumped with summer gloves, it was about -12 C on the ground, I thought my hands were going to fall off. I actually felt sick to my stomach for a little while. And this was only a jump from 4k.

Early spring it's about -30--35 degrees Celsius at 15k. I do the same thing then. Bloody cold though!!

What you northern people wear under those jumpsuits, on your hands, feet and necks..... . =)
Thanks for the help everyone.....

Eric
Have FUN, BE SAFE, LIVE LEGENDARY

An old trick we have been using for a long time is to wear surgical gloves under cross country ski gloves. The secret to staying warm is LAYERS!

Bri

THE PARACHUTE and its PILOT
Safety Day Discount!!
Only $19.99!!
(Until march 15)

To Order Now, go here:
http://bit.ly/15UkjSx
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com