Stuntman1

skydiving in SNOW

I am looking for some advice and recommendations on WHAT TO WEAR SKYDIVING IN THE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!
What you northern people wear under those jumpsuits, on your hands, feet and necks..... . =)
Thanks for the help everyone.....

Eric
Have FUN, BE SAFE, LIVE LEGENDARY

There is nothing better for a first layer to keep you warm than these..

http://www.rei.com/search?query=silk+underwear

I like the Under Armor cold gear, a bit expensive but well worth it. You can also pick up some latex gloves to use as liners with some wind proof gloves. As long as they are not too bulky to use your handles. You can get a neck gaiter and some thick socks, and should be ready. I also like the full face helmet too.

Another vote for Under Armor cold gear. I used them on the 18K jumps for the CF world record, and they worked great. Still able to move, breath, etc, but not cold.

Gloves are always a bit tricky in cold weather. You have to be able to feel what you are doing, but if they are too thin, you can't feel your hands anyway. With any clothing, check your ability to reach handles, feel what you are doing, and handles don't disappear into pockets or pouches.

Good luck!
Jump more, post less!

Lately I have just been wearing a non hooded sweatshirt and gym shorts under my jumpsuit and winter gloves that have grip. I haven't worn anything on my face, but when I open the door too soon for spotting makes me want to. I've found that you are not outside for long so it really isn't bad!

You want to keep your arms warm. That sends warm blood to your fingers. Practice, pulling and cut aways with whatever you are wearing. You can have zero feeling in your fingers and limited movement of your head to see what you are doing. Fogged up face shield or goggles can turn it into a night jump.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

I also like the full face helmet too.

Be prepared for some Full-Face helmets to fog (or even ice) up potentially - in certain conditions. Just something to be aware of, and prepared for, in case it has not also been thought about or otherwise considered too, is all. Being suddenly in FF "surprised" by this occurring, is no fun, and has caused problems (and at least one serious incident that I am aware of) to some in the past.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Balaclava! They work great.

Another good suggestion is a good Turtleneck Shirt. Not a sweater, but a medium thickness shirt. I dress in layers... T-shirt, long sleeve T-shirt, Turtleneck, then Jumpsuit.

Gloves tend to be the hardest to pin down. I use a pair of motorcycle gloves that just happen to work really well. A friend just discovered a pair of waterproof gloves designed for Ice Fishing and he swears by them.

Keep in mind, I jump in Minnesota/Northern Wisconsin. We've forgotten what cold is. B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

You don't ever want to sweat in the cold but if you can keep your body a little on the too warm side, the blood flow will be better out to your hands and feet than if you were chilled. This keeps your hands warm, which helps with touchy feely things.

Something like this works wonders too, as much of your heat loss is out your head. It helps too if you have an open face helmet.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Casual-Clothing/Mens-Headwear/Mens-Cold-Weather-Headwear%7C/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/104448780/i/103920480/Under-Armour174-EVO-ColdGear174-Hood/1170174.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fclothing-mens-casual-clothing-mens-headwear-mens-cold-weather-headwear%2F_%2FN-1100894%3FWT.z_mc_id1%3D43000000077097478%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.mc_id%3Dgoogle%7Cmec_Headwear_Cold%2BWeather%7CUSA%26rid%3D20%26pcrid%3D14423012596%26gclid%3DCJz3ie_L1LUCFQdU4Aodg3IA2g

Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Gloves tend to be the hardest to pin down. I use a pair of motorcycle gloves that just happen to work really well. A friend just discovered a pair of waterproof gloves designed for Ice Fishing and he swears by them.

Some people like to use a pair of those tight rubber 'doctor' gloves under their regular skydiving gloves.

If ya don't regularly WEAR gloves skydiving...you'll learn one of these days! :P

MY hands are exceptionally sensitive to the 'very cold'...I frostbite/froze them really bad when I was a kid, almost lost some fingers over it.

In winter, on mild days I replace the usual thin/tight 'batters gloves' with heavier mechanics gloves...colder days I use a pair of REI winter Kayaking gloves - they're sturdy, flexible & waterproof.

If it's below freezing, I jump with a big pair of snow-mobile gloves, I practice not only working the operating levers with them on...but if need, a hard shake & snap of the wrist sends them flying off in case of a critical situation.

One thing to remember is with the wind-chill you can do some real damage to exposed skin, a full face or baklava is the smart thing to do.

Ditch the sunglasses and go with a high-quality good fitting pair of goggles.

30 years ago on a New Years Day jump in Illinois, I was using a pair of the then standard Kroops, the thin plastic became instantly brittle, the wind broke/shattered them & my contacts actually froze to my eyeballs! B|

Trust me - DON'T do THAT! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thermosuit made of 1mm neoprene, only briefs and a vest under, and your jumpsuit over. Keeps you warm even at -5°C on the ground... if you have a hangar to pack ;)

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Thermosuit made of 1mm neoprene, only briefs and a vest under, and your jumpsuit over. Keeps you warm even at -5°C on the ground... if you have a hangar to pack ;)

Pic looks like a human stick of roll-on deodorant! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If your hands are smaller, thick gloves are really, really bad -- it's much harder to bend short fingers in thick gloves than longer ones.

When it's cold enough that regular gloves aren't enough, I actually put the surgeon's gloves on over my gloves, rather than under. That way I don't end up sweating inside them as much (which means my hands stay warmer), and the air inside them is a better insulator. They tear faster, but it's worth it to me.

Also, some scuba gloves have thin neoprene tops -- if you get good-fitting ones they can work well, too.

None of these are great for taking tight grips on a large formation, but, well, it's the middle of winter if you're using them.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Having spent quite a bit of my lifetime in crazy cold climate and not being all that crazy about the cold (although relative) when it is ridiculous and I have to be in it I wear mechanic gloves which aren't warm by themselves but I use hand Warner's. they sell them in pairs and I lay one against palm of my hand and slide the glove over it. Doesn't effect my mobility or feeling. ..it's not anything like hiding a go pro in your glove

Its a matter of using some common sense.....you know, like your mother gave you when you were in grade school.

Its cold in winter snows....didnt you know that??

I recall landing in the middle of a field, and there was my tracks coming out, and no way of knowing how they ended up in a snowy field...no tyracks going in.

Dress warm, get some good gloves ( like a second skin) and stay warm. If you can't hack it, stay home and watch TV

Landing in snow can be trickey! Go out in the landing area and run around a bit to get use to it. :)

And while you are there.. drop some fallen leaves or sprigs of evergreens on top of the snow in the landing area to help with your depth perception.