Snoa

Skydiving age/weight restrictions

Hi y'all. Very recently I've been interested in taking up skydiving as a hobby (I like doing anything that'll let me get up in the air like flying and hang gliding). And I was thinking maybe even working up towards wingsuit gliding (I understand you need ~200 jumps at least to qualify to use a wingsuit). But I have some questions on age and weight restrictions:

Looking around on the websites for some local drop zones, a lot of them are saying that to tandem skydive, you need to be at least 18 and 220-230lbs in weight. But I've also read that you can Skydive under 18 in certain places with parent permission (I'm only 17). Also, weighing in at 245lb (240lb on a good day), I'm a bit over the weight limit. I can't really help my weight being 6' 2" and having a rather large build, I don't have too much fat to me (Except for a little in the gut). So I'd hate to not be able to skydive solely because of the way I was born. Is there any way around this? I hear some people charge extra to take on people over the weight limit or allow people over the weight limit on a case-by-case consideration, but I haven't found any in my area that do that so far. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

First forget about wing suit jumping...this requires you to be a licensed jumper.

I have found that weight limit vary from dz to dz anywhere from 220-275lbs for a tandem.

All drop zones require you to be 18 years old but some will waive the age restrictions with a parents signature,but none that I know of. Those over the weight restriction will usually require an extra charge.

Where are you located at?

A tandem jump is I think doable with the info you provided

Bry.
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Right, I totally understand why you'd have to be a skydiver before you're a wingsuit glider, You gotta jump before you can glide after all haha. I just want that to be a long-term goal of mine. I'm located near Tampa Florida, and I actually just found a website for a DZ that offers an AFF program that has a 240lb weight limit. That seems much more doable, I could exercise a smidge more and maybe fudge the numbers when they ask for my weight and I'd be good to go (People are always surprised about how much I weigh anyways so I'm assuming I look like I weigh less than I do and could pass as someone who looks 225-235lbs or so).

This is the website for the DZ:
http://www.skydivecity.com/

Z-hills is the dropzone in question?

They should/would be able to work with you on a tandem.

What are they saying is the max. limit on tandem?

Bry.

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Nice chart........I am not an TI to begin with so lets make that clear.....their DZ their rules.

Have you tried other DZ that may have different regsulations?

Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Well, there are two more within a reasonable distance from me but they have even tighter rules. I think this place is my best bet. The AFF weight limit is close enough to where I think I could do it. Just gotta shave a few pounds, not as drastic as trying to drop 20lbs like I thought Id have to.

You sound like a dedicated individual to the sky and yes shaving off a few pounds should be no problem for ya!

I myself have over 1300 jumps and a few ratings but they can with a cost.

A divorce,$$$$$ and a near fatal jump accident,but nither keep me on the ground.

Live you dreams and there will be no regrets.:)

Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I was 245 when I did my AFF 1. It wasn't a problem, though I wouldn't have wanted to be much over that. I've come down from there -- having a sport you like to do is actually a great motivator to get in shape.

As others said, you might have some difficulty finding someplace that'll allow you to jump until you're 18. Fortunately this is a condition that is very easy to correct. Just takes time and no other effort on your part. You could probably go be a wind tunnel rat now if you can't find a nearby dropzone and wanted to get a head start on flying.

I took some hang gliding instruction back in the 90's. I definitely like skydiving more. As far as I know you can't really soar on a regular parachute canopy, but they're a lot easier to fly than the ol' student glider was. If you want to soar, it might be easier to find a paraglider instructor. Those seem to be a lot more popular.

Pretty much any sport that involves flying is going to be a freakishly expensive hobby. Be sure to factor that in to your planning.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Geez, Zak. I'm in Riverview, too.
(any relation to the David and Janet Whitneys?)

I'm sure the ones you have already contacted are Z-hills, Tampa Bay, Deland and Palatka, right?

If you haven't called them, do so.

If you haven't visited them in person, do so.

When you get there, ask for "Manifest" and get them to get someone to talk to you about it.

The age limit is going to be tough in Florida being the age of majority here is 18.

West Tennessee Skydiving in TN (yes, really. LOL) that will take 17 but again, you'll have to call them for the weight issue.

Good luck in your quest!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I could exercise a smidge more

Do this. ^

maybe fudge the numbers when they ask for my weight

DO NOT DO THIS ^

and I'd be good to go

No you would not.

You are starting off on the wrong foot in this sport when you have the attitude that "cheating" is OK.
IT IS NOT!

The sport is littered with hurt and dead people over-stretching their limits...all stemming from that "I can get away with it" attitude. Don't be one of them.

I'd like to see you become an OLD skydiver.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

First of all, DZs have weight limits for the training for a few reasons, one of those being safety and not breaking the law. The majority of skydiving harness and containers have a max exit weight of 254lbs. Some are certified for 300lbs, it just depends on what they have. So if you think you are going to go in there and "fudge" the numbers a little, think again, most DZ's put you on a scale to verify what you wrote.

Secondly and this maybe harsh and completely unfounded, but being 6'2" and 245 is probably not from lifting weights at 17. There are not that many big guys that jump and at your weight you will find a lot of challenges in buying gear or fitting on small planes to name a few. Stop watching YouTube videos and get outside or to a gym and excercise more than a "smidge", it will be a lot easier to lose the weight now than later and will make learning to skydive easier, you will be more comfortable, more flexible, and lesson the chance of you being injured.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

on a good day you are still obese according to BMI. best is to lose weight first. skydiving (maybe like rock climbing) is tough with extra weight. not easy...I am trying to get back to where I was when I started jumping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

Judging obesity by using the BMI is like judging how well a car runs by its paint job. The only way I will return to the "healthy" catagory is to not only lose fat, but muscle as well. The BMI might be an OK tool to start the conversation about health, but it has limited value as to determine if one is healthy, overweight or obese.

To the OP, if you really want to skydive, be prepared to make some changes. You might need to shed whatever fat you might be carrying to get to a weight that the DZ will feel comfortable taking you up. You will end up at the DZ on most weekends so get ready to replace your current friends with a bunch of skydiving nutcases, present company included. And any money you have will soon be given to the dropzone. This sport ain't cheap.

And I wouldn't trade any of those changes I have made.

If you really want it, you will find a healthy way to feed the need for altitude.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

First of all, DZs have weight limits for the training for a few reasons, one of those being safety and not breaking the law. The majority of skydiving harness and containers have a max exit weight of 254lbs. Some are certified for 300lbs, it just depends on what they have. So if you think you are going to go in there and "fudge" the numbers a little, think again, most DZ's put you on a scale to verify what you wrote.

Secondly and this maybe harsh and completely unfounded, but being 6'2" and 245 is probably not from lifting weights at 17. There are not that many big guys that jump and at your weight you will find a lot of challenges in buying gear or fitting on small planes to name a few. Stop watching YouTube videos and get outside or to a gym and excercise more than a "smidge", it will be a lot easier to lose the weight now than later and will make learning to skydive easier, you will be more comfortable, more flexible, and lesson the chance of you being injured.

Well, Id say those claims are a bit unfounded. I already follow a pretty rigid diet, eating about 1500cals a day (a relatively small amount for someone my size) and I do my fair share of exercising already, doing two hours of martial arts a week with biking, running, and hopping on the elliptical machine 1-2 times a week. And while I havent LOST weight, Ive certainly changed my proportions and changed a lot of fat in to muscle, especially in my upper body. That's why I was talking anout exercising a smidge MORE. Maybe cut down some additional calories and increase the amount I exercise. Im not some bum who stays inside all day, I mean yeah I enjoy my fair share of video games and being on the computer, but Id take being outdoors over that any day. Nah, Im just a large dude who was born to be built like an oak, not a twig :/

Do this. ^

DO NOT DO THIS ^

and I'd be good to go

No you would not.

You are starting off on the wrong foot in this sport when you have the attitude that "cheating" is OK.
IT IS NOT!

The sport is littered with hurt and dead people over-stretching their limits...all stemming from that "I can get away with it" attitude. Don't be one of them.

Sorry, I didnt know it'd be considered that bad. I heard of people fudging numbers before so I thought it was just one of those things. It's just that I'd hate to weigh 241 for something with a 240lb weight limit. Id rather just say Im 239 you know? But if it's really that bad of a thing to do than I'll just lose the few pounds.

Do this. ^

DO NOT DO THIS ^

and I'd be good to go

No you would not.

IT IS NOT!

Sorry, I didnt know it'd be considered that bad. I heard of people fudging numbers before so I thought it was just one of those things. It's just that I'd hate to weigh 241 for something with a 240lb weight limit. Id rather just say Im 239 you know? But if it's really that bad of a thing to do than I'll just lose the few pounds.

You can fudge up until the point when they ask you to step on the scale.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It can be done, but understand its going to take more leg work on your end to get through aff, more money to get a rig legal for your out the door weight. More money for a good jumpsuit to slow you down, and thick skin along the way.

Look for a dropzone with a MC4/mt1-xx type rig. It's rated for 360 lbs, it its big, heavy, opens hard, and The canopy has low performance, but it will get you in the air.

If you cant find a dropzone with one, you could ask if you bought your own, had their rigger inspect it and ok it for your aff course. They cost about 500$ used, add a 1500$ aad, and I recommend a BOC conversion, and you have your own legal rig.

I have over 100 sport jumps using that same rig.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I'm 6'2 270+ out the door on most days. When I started I was 230 and I lost a about 7lbs by the time I was done with AFF because I was paying $1 per lb extra. You can't fudge the numbers you get on their scale. The other thing is the TI can say yea or nay to taking you. Normly the little guys takes the big guys so if they don't have a little guy willing to take you it will be a journey finding a dz. when you do fund a DZ make sure to be there every weekend and make friends with the instructors as I said they usually have the final word on who they will take up. Good luck and when your read for used gear in a 200 jumps or so look me up maybe ill have a rig to sell

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Well, Id say those claims are a bit unfounded. I already follow a pretty rigid diet, eating about 1500cals a day (a relatively small amount for someone my size) and I do my fair share of exercising already, doing two hours of martial arts a week with biking, running, and hopping on the elliptical machine 1-2 times a week. And while I havent LOST weight, Ive certainly changed my proportions and changed a lot of fat in to muscle, especially in my upper body. That's why I was talking anout exercising a smidge MORE. Maybe cut down some additional calories and increase the amount I exercise. Im not some bum who stays inside all day, I mean yeah I enjoy my fair share of video games and being on the computer, but Id take being outdoors over that any day. Nah, Im just a large dude who was born to be built like an oak, not a twig :/

Somehow I don't believe all that. Barring some weird hormonal issues there is no way you're able to maintain a body mass of 245 lbs at 6'2" at the age of 17 by eating 1500 kcals per day. Either you're miscounting your energy intake or you're exaggerating the amount of exercise you do.

For instance, I don't know what you mean by 'hopping on the elliptical' but if it means what I see at the gym every week, that is, at best, 600 kcal/hr, which is about 1 Big Mac.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

A whole discussion on a simple answer:
Take cash, go there for the whole day. Someone will let you jump with them(unless the club completely forbids it), maybe take a gaurdian with, makes the tandemguy feel comfy.

Enjoy..
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.