Snoa

Skydiving age/weight restrictions

This sport still favors skinny people. [:/]

Jumping with a friend of mine this weekend who's added a lot of holiday weight. Even with the big jumpsuit he's falling out on each point. Really tough to do a donut on 3 different levels. [:/]

John, That's how Vertical Skydiving was invented. It wasn't that Olav feller... it was the Anvil Brothers. :)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I've thought I should glom on to a freefall group and do belly with them. That'd be a bit bizarre. On my last belly work in the tunnel I didn't have to get small to match fall speeds with my instructor, I just had to arch a little more. If I got small, I might be able to match speeds with someone doing heads down. As soon as it gets warm again and the crowd returns to the dropzone, I'm going to suggest this to some freefliers I know.

Um... what we were talking about again? Heh heh heh. Oh yeah! Hey Snoa, did we answer your question?
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I've thought I should glom on to a freefall group and do belly with them. That'd be a bit bizarre. On my last belly work in the tunnel I didn't have to get small to match fall speeds with my instructor, I just had to arch a little more. If I got small, I might be able to match speeds with someone doing heads down. As soon as it gets warm again and the crowd returns to the dropzone, I'm going to suggest this to some freefliers I know.

Um... what we were talking about again? Heh heh heh. Oh yeah! Hey Snoa, did we answer your question?

Oh yes I believe so haha. I think I know what the plan is for me until my 18th birthday (Way out in August, so I've got time to gain money and lose weight). Definitely feeling more confident about being able to skydive than I was before, and I've even found a kid at my school who's also trying to lose weight in order to skydive so maybe we can help each other out as far as diet and exercise goes. (Of course, he started out weighing over 400lbs, and needs to lose 80 more to reach his target weight of 220lbs, while I only have to drop a couple of pounds to get to where I need to be).

I would suggest not just trying to "drop a few" to get where you need to be but taking a reasonable goal over the next 8 months and working towards it. Just because you are right at / barely under the height / weight line does not mean that a tandem instructor will agree to take you. Weight and body shape are important. Even with the slightly higher weight limits for AFF the same still applies. And they will make you get on the scale and they will turn you away if they're not comfortable. No drop zone in FL is going to allow you to jump anyway until you're 18 so take the next 8 months and work towards a reasonable goal. Plus you're going to be healthier in the long run.

If you want to skydive (either tandem or AFF training) don't just do the absolute minimum and hope to skate by on a technicality by being and ounce under the max weight requirement.

If you show up in August at ZHills all trimmed up and do a tandem I'll shake your hand. If you show up all trimmed up and do AFF I'll jump with you on #26 and then shake your hand.

Slim down, train up, go jump. And then I'll be jealous because what you did at 18 I waited until I was 33. Your choice...I'll be jumping either way. Hope to see you out there.

Oh, well, I was just using the phrase "Drop a few" loosely. I'm not about doing the bare minimum by any means, and my health is of pretty high priority to me, I'll totally be willing to lose as much as I can without withering to nothing.

You think that it favors skinny people which is true for most, but I see potential swooper, that favors heavy people.

What's swooping?

That's doing a turn down low under canopy to build a lot of speed/energy to go gliding across the pond or landing area, inches from the ground, for hundreds of feet. Very impressive if done correctly and being heavy does let you carry more energy. Some wear extra weights when they swoop.

You think that it favors skinny people which is true for most, but I see potential swooper, that favors heavy people.

What's swooping?

That's doing a turn down low under canopy to build a lot of speed/energy to go gliding across the pond or landing area, inches from the ground, for hundreds of feet. Very impressive if done correctly and being heavy does let you carry more energy. Some wear extra weights when they swoop.

So it's like pod racing from Star Wars only minus the pods and minus the racing?

What's swooping?

So it's like pod racing from Star Wars only minus the pods and minus the racing?

YUP!!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I'm 6'2 270+ out the door on most days. Good luck and when your read for used gear in a 200 jumps or so look me up maybe ill have a rig to sell

dude i mean DUDE! we have GOT! to get in the air together sometime.:)B|
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I was in the same boat as you .. Was 260lbs when I intially wanted to do my PFF (canadian AFF)(Dec 2011) Coach said I was too fat to take the course (His words lol) so I Hit the streets running fixed up a good diet and bam March Came a long and I was 190lbs and good to go for the PFF lol now 90 jumps later in the first season and happy I did it .. Don't get all discouraged you just need the right motivation ;)