Terruko

Skydive The Ranch(NY) or Skydive Jersey Shore(NJ)

So I'm planning on going skydiving and getting my license but the DZ I wanted to go is too far away from where I live (2 hour drive) so I was looking for another DZ closer to where I live and I found this one, it's Skydive Jersey Shore. I've read reviews about them and almost all of them say they aren't someone you'd want to do business with but then some say the reviews are wrong because there's another DZ called "Skydive Jersey" which is the one most bad reviews are for. So I'd like to know if any of you guys have been to any of these two DZs.

Also, are all the AFF classes the same, because I see the AFF program in Skydive The Ranch is divided into 13 parts and in Jersey Shore is divided in less or atleast that's what I'm seeing right now. Are there different types of AFF training, or are there all the same just put together differently?

Skydive The Ranch: http://www.skydivetheranch.com
Skydive Jersey Shore: http://www.skydivejerseyshore.com

Thank you, and have a nice day.

When you call, make sure you verify the location. And DO NOT pay by CC over the phone!

Too many people still get sucked into the Skyride scam. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've been to both The Ranch and Crosskeys during my travels up & down the East Coast. They're 2 of the larger, busier DZs in that region. Both of them are great DZs, and you really can't go wrong with either of them.

Re: different AFF programs, the slightly over-simplified answer is that while there may be a bit of difference between one DZ's AFF program and another's, in most cases the difference is not all that much.

Go to the Ranch. The ranch has 3 otter (holds 22 people) and a caravan (hold 12). Jersey shore only has cessnas. I think the most theirs can hold is 6 jumpers and probably only go to 10,500 feet where as the ranch goes to 13,500 feet. Students and fun jumpers do not get bumped for tandems at the ranch. Rarely ever have to wait for a load. You'll be able to get through AFF a lot faster at the ranch than at Jersey shore. Different DZ can structure their student programs differently.
(insert philosophical quote here)

Terruko, if you could tell us where you're located it would help. ;)

I learned at a small Cessna DZ in PA but when it closed Cross Keys became my home DZ. The people there are nice and I've recommended a few friends to go there (for tandems and AFF).

I live in NJ, zip code 08831 to be exact.

Heres a link to the DZ locator results for a search of DZs within 100 miles of your ZIP.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/dropzone/finder.cgi?lat=40.317231732315236&lng=-74.3939208984375&rad=100&Submit=Search&search=addr

Of the two DZ's recommended above, Cross Keys (the "C" marker) looks to be about 40 miles closer than the Ranch (the "K" marker).

But those distances are as the crow flies. Google maps says 66 miles (1 hr 18 min) to Cross Keys, and 113 miles (2 hr 8 min) to the Ranch. (FYI, your distance/time to Cross Keys is approximately what I travel to get to the The Farm, where I jump)

You would get more attention as a student from the Ranch or Crosskeys. They are bigger dropzones with bigger AFF programs. Skydive JS is a nice place, showed up there to make a few fun jumps, but they focus more on tandems.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I've jumped with Jerseyshore three times tandem (not for cert) and they were always super nice. I've been talking with Mike (I'm assuming the owner) about setting up certification lesson's. He has been really nice and informative. He told me to call back end of the month/Early April. I think the other posters are right, all they have is Cessna's. The jumps I did I jumped out of two separate planes and they each held only four jumpers. If you decide to go there I wouldn't mind starting this adventure with someone if you are up for it. I'm actually not to far from your location (zip 08540). I've found a closer DZ then the ranch in PA that are close too, but Skydive Jersey Shore has been the closest.