milehigheric

Jumping in New Zealand...

I asked in the Aussie forums, and I sent some emails to a couple of drop zones but I haven't got much of a response. If there are any kiwis on the forum or if you have jumped there before your input would be much appreciated.

Im headed to NZ in July for some snowboarding and I was thinking about heading over a week before my mates and getting 20 or so jumps in . My research has led me to believe Auckland would be the place to invade (http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/Detailed/1026.shtml) but I was sort of hoping to get some recommendations. NZ seems alot like Aus in the sense it is heavily focused on tandems so I would hate to make the wrong choice.

Ill just fire off some dot points...

Open in winter? (Im not sure if NZ DZ's are seasonal or not? Im aiming for the 28th June - 10 July)
-Temperature at altitude during this time? (I have never had to bother with cold weather gear in Aus, would it be recommended?)
-Accommodation (any available at DZ?)
-Transport from Auckland intl Airport?
-Food at DZ?
-Coaching available (RW? Freefly?) and costs?
-Load organising (particularly during the week - will it be easy enough to find people to jump with?)
-Multi discipline DZ (is there a mix of RW,FF etc?)
-Loads per day (i know, very dependent)
-Special requirements if any?
-Any other DZ's in the area?

I only have very limited experience jumping in New Zealand (3 jumps at a single DZ), but those were at Skydive Abel Tasman (on the northern end of the South Island). I was there in May, and I believe they were open year-round, with a boogie planned somewhere in August.

I've heard that most DZ's there are tandem mills, and while Skydive Abel Tasman did do tandems (and only flew with either a full sports load or at least a single tandem), they were very friendly to me as an A-licensed sports jumper.

As for temperature, I regularly jump CRW in the European winter where the temperature at altitude is -10 deg C to -15 deg C. My advice would be to dress in layers, and use some sort of underglove (I've got silk ones that go under my normal gloves, they work like a charm). With two pair of socks, jeans under my jumpsuit and five t-shirts and a sweater, I don't need expensive thermal gear to keep warm.

Cheers for the input! I decided to fly into Christchurch, grab a car and head to abel Tasman. There is also the skydiving school at Methven and the smaller skydiving kiwis DZ on the way to Queenstown so I shouldn't have to much trouble finding some fun.

Now to stock up on warm gear - I have never needed to worry about the temperature here in Aus haha

How colds it get over there at altitude? Should I be dressing for snow conditions?

When snowboarding, snow is a good thing.

For skydiving, a few layers is all thats needed in NZ. early in the morning it might be below zero on the ground and say -20C at altitude, but a couple of layers and all's good :-)
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

I'm glad you said girls... Could of got awkward there for a second. See yas in July :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah.... God forbid there would ever be jumps with guys in stockings and corsets....

Hmmmmmm.....1976 as I recall....the boys in drag....and also the annual jump into the local nudist club Xmas party....wearing nothing but a cabbage leaf (and rig of course.)

Fun times back then....the days of Rocky Horror....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

hej folks,

next month i will be on the south part of NZ, which dropzone can u recomend? is it possible to rent a rig since i dont carry one with me.

Skydive Abel Tasman also had rigs available (student rigs, I believe it held an Omega 230). But best call ahead to ask exactly what they have now. It's been a while since I was there.