FlyingRhenquest

Recon Flight HUD Arrived

Interesting to see some of the comments on these. I evaluated the gen 1 goggles for work, and at the time was told they were thinking about developing a set for skydiving.

The big issue with the original set was the goggles they were paired. Nothing against them on their own, but it made for an uncomfortable fit, they were huge, and there were the same issues with the looking at the HUD made you take your eyes off the slope.

I do remember seeing some images of just the HUD without it attached to any pre-made goggles. Looks like it is for sale http://shop.reconinstruments.com/product/mod-live-na/. I would be curious for people who have jumped the goggles, if you think the solo HUD that you could integrate yourself would be a better product?

Not that I'm going to buy either, just musing here in another snowpocalypse in NE.

To share: I have made a few jumps (about 10) with my Recon and comment on the following (not in any particular order of importance):

1 -I am using mine with a Salomon Brigade helmet (pic enclosed). The helmet and the google fit very well together and are very comfortable

2 - I definitely loose some field of view - specially trying to look at the handles - I have changed my EP for that - do some on the plane with the googles on (about 5-10 times) while climbing
3 - Cross checked the altitude shown on the HUD while climbing and perfectly matches the altimeter and the Neptune

4 - while flying, I checked the altitude against the altimeter
and in 10 jumps, 9 was ok. In one particular jump was off (higher in some 300ft) not sure the cause - confirmed also by my Altima audible.

5 - After first 40 seconds of flight (not sure why) it gets difficult to visualize the HUD and I don't pay attention more to it and focus on my flight only. It appears to me that by moving my head to the sides or down it may change the position of the HUD inside the googles (although it is really tight on the helmet and on my face).

6 - For those familiar with the Tonysuit wing suits, it gets difficult with the googles to see place to attach the leg wing (not sure exactly the term - but i its a little button to connect the wing once the canopy is open :| - not a hassle but with no googles (like with my FF) is pretty easy to see.

7 - The adjustment of altitude to the DZ is a pain...one click for every 3 feet (surely could be better)

Finally, I think would be nice to have it installed in a full face like Z1 (maybe towards the chin??) which offers great field of view.

Have yet to download the data and play with it...

Cheers

GB

2 - I definitely loose some field of view - specially trying to look at the handles - I have changed my EP for that - do some on the plane with the googles on (about 5-10 times) while climbing
3 - Cross checked the altitude shown on the HUD while climbing and perfectly matches the altimeter and the Neptune

4 - while flying, I checked the altitude against the altimeter
and in 10 jumps, 9 was ok. In one particular jump was off (higher in some 300ft) not sure the cause - confirmed also by my Altima audible.

5 - After first 40 seconds of flight (not sure why) it gets difficult to visualize the HUD and I don't pay attention more to it and focus on my flight only. It appears to me that by moving my head to the sides or down it may change the position of the HUD inside the googles (although it is really tight on the helmet and on my face).

6 - For those familiar with the Tonysuit wing suits,
it gets difficult with the googles to see place to attach the leg wing (not sure exactly the term - but i its a little button to connect the wing once the canopy is open :| - not a hassle but with no googles (like with my FF) is pretty easy to see.

For these reasons and others, we've elected to not permit pilots in flocks to wear Recons.
If you'd like to fly solo, Recons are fine.