Tonythetiger7

where to go skydiving with family?

Hi, Im just after some advice and opinions.

Im looking for somewhere abroad where I could possibly do my FS1 and B licence, but also somewhere that would be family friendly so I can go with my fiancee and 6 year old daughter.
Possibly somewhere where I could do a week of jumping then a week of holiday time.

I went to Empuriabrava to do AFF, but spent the whole 10 days with the group I was jumping with so didnt really explore much so dont know whats there, but Im open to any ideas at all.

Looking at possibly going later this year.

Any help appreciated ;)

Elsinore/Perris are quite close to Disneyland if you wanted the family to have fun. Perris has a nice pool, Elsinore is close to hiking, boating, etc.

Zhills isn't terribly far from DisneyWorld, so it too, has its benefits.
Depends on East/West preferences (cost isn't terribly different for either place from the UK.

:)
Almost anywere,...

BUT,...I'v noticed it takes a special kind of support with family. Your beautiful six year old will tire of the dropzone halfway thru day one, your fiancee will tire of the dropzone on day two. PLUS it's a heck of a distraction for you. Yes I can understand you want to show your family your efforts and enjoyment with something (new???) But how much of this is showing off V learning to jump?

THis might sound a little harsh, I'm not really being harsh here:)
My 2 cents, and this recruit's advice is to not mix training and family .(period)

The weather variables, the fact that they will be competing for attention, the fact that you will want to entertain them,...this has almost never worked out...

Perhaps, and I certianly look forward to what works compared with what dosent' work, you can tell us if you are sucssessfull with this??

I support DSE's suggestion for Disney, if your daughter is old enough to appreciate this place it really is a once in a life time kind of place, allthough I do prefer Disney World over Disneyland, for an adult, and kids too, there are at least 10 times the things to do, on site in FL over CA, waterparks, tours, food, lodging,..etc, etc.. and the cost from the UK might be signifigantly less...

Time of year might change the jumping thing however, it does get very hot in july/aug, although most FL CA dz are open, things change a little/lot and you might get stuck driving a little and who wants to spend vacation time driving.

I mention the heat because finding air conditioning for a six year old at a dz might be tough? (In July/Aug.)

Good luck!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

THis might sound a little harsh, I'm not really being harsh here

Kinda like when you're a complete asshole, and then you explain that you're not really being an asshole?

Ok, fine, what do you tell someone that wants to drag a six year old girl to a place where the average temp can reach 105, in the shade, for a week??? While I try to get my "B" lic as fast as I can????

This is a recipie for marital bliss??

Seen way to many well intentioned people try to do it all, and the end result is not being anywheeere remotly sucsessfull at anything...

C

I think the problem is that during many of your posts you make excuses for your bad behavior and then go right ahead with the bad behavior as if making excuses for it somehow makes it OK.

It's not.

If you have valuable information, give it. If you think you should probably make an excuse or apologize for something you are about to do, skip it.

THis might sound a little harsh, I'm not really being harsh here

Kinda like when you're a complete asshole, and then you explain that you're not really being an asshole?

Ok, fine, what do you tell someone that wants to drag a six year old girl to a place where the average temp can reach 105, in the shade, for a week??? While I try to get my "B" lic as fast as I can????

This is a recipie for marital bliss??

Seen way to many well intentioned people try to do it all, and the end result is not being anywheeere remotly sucsessfull at anything...

C

I tend to agree with Chris. Very hard to make a jump trip 'fun for a 6 year old and partner.

However it might be possible to part ways for some of the holiday. So you spend3 days jumping while they do girly stuff. At the right dz, you just get dropped off and they take the car.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

This was more what I was thinking.
I wasn't thinking of having them at the dropzone at all, so there is no element of showing off, and no added pressure on me!
I'm simply exploring the options available so that we can all get a holiday abroad, at the same time.
My daughter has been to disneyland Paris 3 times and loved it so Florida or Cali is an option.
I can understand what's been said on here, but my idea was only so that they can appreciate a holiday abroad at the same time.
Thanks for the ideas so far :-)

This was more what I was thinking.
I wasn't thinking of having them at the dropzone at all, so there is no element of showing off, and no added pressure on me!
I'm simply exploring the options available so that we can all get a holiday abroad, at the same time.
My daughter has been to disneyland Paris 3 times and loved it so Florida or Cali is an option.
I can understand what's been said on here, but my idea was only so that they can appreciate a holiday abroad at the same time.
Thanks for the ideas so far :-)

:)That said,

There are lots of us with children, as your date, or your aticipated date gets closer you can use this forum to ask for for specific types of assistance, like what do those of you do with your family on such and such a day?
I think that you will find many coming forward with specific assistance and perhaps some will offer their own signifigant others to stay with your signifigant other?

I used to love helping other jumpers out with babysitting and showing and participating in family type stuff!

Ask and you shall recive, it's just that your question as posed leaves some in a quandry,...

It's kind of like: Q: I'm looking for ideas for a family anywhere in the world? Any time in the next year? And it has to be someplace where I can jump for a week to get my lic?

You might get a different response if you ask something like: Q: "I'm coming to DeLand on the week of april 5, is their any families that can entertain my wife and children for a couple of days, or suggest local places they might enjoy? or and are their any places to avoid?

See the difference?

My inital advice still stands I offer this to you consideering my first jump was in 1973, it has been my expeience that families and jumping are difficult to mix on a regular basis. If some don't like my advice they are free to choose to take it or leave it, it hasn't gone unnoticed that they are more interested in commenting on my comments than helping you even if it's something that is difficult to hear...

that they are more interested in commenting on my comments

It's a vicious circle, for you are now commenting on their commenting on your comments. :| And I'm commenting on your commenting on their commenting on your comments.

Hell in a handbasket.

I can understand and appreciate what youre saying, and thanks for your suggestion, I probably will post on here nearer the time etc, but maybe I worded my original post wrong.

I do realise it was a very open question, but I dont, at present, know what facilities and attractions and and things to do are at each DZ, and was hoping to draw on others experiences.

So as I said, Im just exploring the options at the moment.

I may well end up just going for a week in spain again by myself, but wanted to see what else was out there, with the possibility of giving my family a holiday at the same time ;)

Thanks again for any advice

Central Florida has a lot of dropzones for you to check out in addition to many family friendly activities and it's not a bad flight from the UK.

There are a lot of things they could do while you jump. For example...
If you wanted to check out DeLand, your family could spend the day in Daytona Beach.
If you want to go to Lake Wales, your family could go to the Disney/Universal area.
If you want to check out Zhills, your family could go to the Tampa aquarium.
If you want to go to Sebastian, your family could visit Kennedy Space Center.

Of course there are plenty of other activities like water parks, outlet malls, zoos, and natural springs and plenty of pretty beaches. As long as it's not raining, you'll have plenty to do. That's the bad part; you might not want to visit during the summer because it's really hot and humid and it rains most afternoons. If you get here before the end of May, I'm sure you'll have a great time.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Central Florida has a lot of dropzones for you to check out in addition to many family friendly activities and it's not a bad flight from the UK.

There are a lot of things they could do while you jump. For example...
If you wanted to check out DeLand, your family could spend the day in Daytona Beach.
If you want to go to Lake Wales, your family could go to the Disney/Universal area.
If you want to check out Zhills, your family could go to the Tampa aquarium.
If you want to go to Sebastian, your family could visit Kennedy Space Center. .

Thanks Skymama, that's excellent. Exactly the sort of info I'm after.

Has anyone got any info on other DZ's, either US or Europe?

Tony,

As a Uk jumper I can recommend Skydive Deland - I did aff there and have been back since, and am going there tomorrow from the UK.

Great DZ - great for progressions and great for the family to come and watch. Nice local beaches and Disney is 50 minutes away etc etc . Drop me a PM.

My wife and kids come out with me to Perris. Kids swim all day in the pool, there's a wind tunnel there so they can fly, plus a full bar and restaurant. Family had a great time and they keep asking when they can go again. Next taking them to Elsinore where we can ride dirt bikes and I can jump all in 1 area. Awesome

Its easy... I go on trips ALL the time with my wife and 3 young kids... Just split the time up between jumping and family fun... Really not the hard... I go to lego land oneday then hit up Perris and bang out 10 great jumps. Next day disneyland next day skydive SD bang out morejumps... Usually my family hangs out at hotel relaxing on the days i jump...guess it depends on your financial situation to... Just make jumping the #1 priority and all will work out... :/

this was my conceern in the first place:

"Just make jumping the #1 priority and all will work out... :/ "

We haven't heard from the "signifigant other," at all...

what are her thoughts in all of this???

C

this was my conceern in the first place:

"Just make jumping the #1 priority and all will work out... :/ "

We haven't heard from the "signifigant other," at all...

what are her thoughts in all of this???

C

When I'm jumping, I will be at the dz by myself and the missus and daughter will be off doing their own thing.

She's said that she will be happy doing that, and would be grateful for the chance of a holiday abroad as long as I only do a week of jumping, and have a week of holiday together time.

I'm now also looking at the possibility of just doing a week in Spain, probably Empuria, by myself, and having a week elsewhere with family.