drmattbarlow

Free Gopro HD Hero 3: Online Skydiving Research

Skydivers are needed to complete a Bangor University online questionnaire.

Your time would be greatly appreciated.
As such, everyone who completes the research questionnaires will be entered into a prize draw to win a brand new Go Pro HD Hero 3.

https://acsurvey.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_cIOhrFyYh0OwWZ7

Thank you.

Dr. Matt Barlow

p.s. Many thanks to the admins for allowing me to post this link.

----------

I would like to attempt to pre-empt some of the issues with the current research that may arise:

1. Not all the scales we are asking you to complete are OUR scales. Indeed, in my opinion, some of the scales (presented in the link above) have both serious theoretical and methodological flaws. You may find them frustrating to fill out (I did when I first filled them out many years ago) which is why we are offering the chance to win a tasty prize as a thank you for participating. The older (flawed) questionnaires have to be presented to test their validity relative to the new questionnaires.

2. This also relates to the above point. The research team are not suggesting 'thrill-seeking' or 'the adrenaline-rush' is the central motive for participation. The data will speak for itself and the new questions are not set-up in a biased way to try and show this. Again, I cannot fail to include the old questionnaires that may seem somewhat biased. Please answer as honestly as possible for ALL questionnaires.

THANKS!
http://matt-barlow.com

"Error: Each value must be less than or equal to 500."
What if I have over 500 jumps?

The entry boxes are invisible, making it hard to figure out where to put the cursor to type the response.

Once a button is checked, you can't change your mind and un-check it.

Some of the scales have six levels from "disagree" to "agree", thus there is no middle ground neutral entry - you are forced to lean towards either disagree or agree.

"404 - not found" upon completing the LONG survey - does this mean I just wasted my time and am not entered to win the GoPro?

Yah... the survey misses this by an order of magnitude. Guess that they didn't realize that there are a lot of people with 1000's of jumps who jump a lot more often than once a week :P
Owned by Remi #?

Yah... the survey misses this by an order of magnitude. Guess that they didn't realize that there are a lot of people with 1000's of jumps who jump a lot more often than once a week :P

I left a comment to that effect in the area provided.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

About a year or so ago I saw a Youtube video. The skydiver was done for the day, sitting on a bench, looking out over the DZ, when he saw some money on the ground. It was what a jump ticket would cost. Several possible scenarios played out in his head. Most involved beer and something he or his girlfriend would enjoy. Then he went to manifest and spent the money on another jump ticket. That clip tells more than the survey could discover. Too bad, I can't find it now.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Done. I'm not too much of a lunatic haha.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.
---------------------------------------------------------------

"Error: Each value must be less than or equal to 500."
1. What if I have over 500 jumps?
2. Yah... the survey misses this by an order of magnitude. Guess that they didn't realize that there are a lot of people with 1000's of jumps who jump a lot more often than once a week
3. I left a comment to that effect in the area provided.

I am really sorry about this.
The pathetic reality is that there was no option for the far right of the slider to say ‘500+’.
I was fully aware that this would be a problem prior to launching as the initial study was taken by many individuals who have completed well over 1000 jumps.
I have now added the caveat:
“If you have done more than 500 jumps total, please simply record a score of 500 - thank you”

The entry boxes are invisible, making it hard to figure out where to put the cursor to type the response.
Once a button is checked, you can't change your mind and un-check it.

I have tried but have been unable to replicate these errors

1. Some of the scales have six levels from "disagree" to "agree", thus there is no middle ground neutral entry - you are forced to lean towards either disagree or agree.
2. We have had some really crappy surveys here. This one is so bad that I had to respond here. This is crap.

I will repeat what I said in my initial post:
Not all the scales we are asking you to complete are OUR scales. Indeed, in my opinion, some of the scales (presented in the link above) have both serious theoretical and methodological flaws. You may find them frustrating to fill out (I did when I first filled them out many years ago) which is why we are offering the chance to win a tasty prize as a thank you for participating. The older (flawed) questionnaires have to be presented to test their validity relative to the new questionnaires.

"404 - not found" upon completing the LONG survey - does this mean I just wasted my time and am not entered to win the GoPro?

Please PM me your email address and I will manually enter you into the draw. I appreciate your time in both completing the questionnaire and providing feedback.

White edition? Bloody cheapskate

Yeah sorry! Not bad though for a few clicks of the mouse. Good luck in the draw.

Cool story bro!
It doesn't really matter what you think, SOMEONE (read: not you) asked the questions that they though would be valuable to their research.
Congrats on unnecessarily being a dick.

Thanks!

About a year or so ago I saw a Youtube video. The skydiver was done for the day, sitting on a bench, looking out over the DZ, when he saw some money on the ground. It was what a jump ticket would cost. Several possible scenarios played out in his head. Most involved beer and something he or his girlfriend would enjoy. Then he went to manifest and spent the money on another jump ticket. That clip tells more than the survey could discover. Too bad, I can't find it now.

One of our other studies was an interview based study with elite level mountaineers. As you have clearly pointed out, such qualitative insights can elicit a depth and complexity within the data that quantitative studies cannot. Equally, quantitative studies as in this present instance, will allow us to work with the data in a way that a qualitative study would not allow.
I would love to do some interviews with highly experienced skydivers. Maybe I should get some funding for a whole bunch of GoPro cameras and get recruiting on the forum here?
http://matt-barlow.com

I would love to do some interviews with highly experienced skydivers. Maybe I should get some funding for a whole bunch of GoPro cameras and get recruiting on the forum here?

Here's a much easier way: Buy a case of beer, show up at a drop zone at the end of the day, share the beer, and enjoy talking to everyone for hours while the beer loosens their lips and their minds. You'll learn far more being around them in person, then from these stupid online surveys.

It is one of my favorite videos so was it was easy for me to find
https://vimeo.com/14833103

It is one of my favorite videos so was it was easy for me to find
https://vimeo.com/14833103

Thanks, I was hoping someone would know where it was.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Alvin has the right of it. You don't need funding or Go-Pros. Skydivers love to talk about skydiving. Bring beer and interest. Better yet, make a skydive and then hang out.
Owned by Remi #?

Alvin has the right of it. You don't need funding or Go-Pros. Skydivers love to talk about themselves. Bring beer and interest. Better yet, make a skydive and then hang out.

Fixed it for you!! :P