sim37

Skydive Jump Statistics North America

First of all hello everybody. Name's Dave this is my first post. I have only done one tandem jump (so far) but I'm here for a different reason. I am doing a case study for my statistics class where I am comparing the dangers of riding street motorcycles against the dangers of skydiving (its an entry level class and we all know motorcycling is much more dangerous than skydiving).

Dropzone has already been great with posting statistics for fatalities for 2012. What I am looking for is an estimated number of jumps performed in North America for 2012. This way I will be able to come up with a reliable probability to compare against motorcycle fatalities.

I appreciate everyone's help with this information. Stay safe!

;)

What statistics class would that be???

It's March 21 here in the USA. Most all college classes are winding down.

How do you plan to compare time weighted events with linear events? Do yo have an independant variable? How are you going to integrate dependent factors? Or is this just some type of rough histological comparison?

Do you have any research planned? What database(s) are you ging to use for your motorcycle crash data?

what comparison variables are you going to use and how are you going to use them, I mean for your chi-square rough data, I mean to see if there are any interrellated associations?

What paradigm(S) are you going to use for regression???

Is this just some sort of comparison bullshit or do you have a inferential paradigm written down yet that you wish to share??

Are you going to do any basian probabilities???
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

we all know motorcycling is much more dangerous than skydiving

Are you sure? Remember - you need to also take into account the total "exposure time" to the relative "danger element", when making that (or any statistically relevant/correct) statement.

Once you have adjusted statistically your "accidents per", relative to total actual environment exposure time - I would be interested to see if you still come to that same conclusion.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

First of all hello everybody. Name's Dave this is my first post. I have only done one tandem jump (so far) but I'm here for a different reason. I am doing a case study for my statistics class where I am comparing the dangers of riding street motorcycles against the dangers of skydiving (its an entry level class and we all know motorcycling is much more dangerous than skydiving).

Dropzone has already been great with posting statistics for fatalities for 2012. What I am looking for is an estimated number of jumps performed in North America for 2012. This way I will be able to come up with a reliable probability to compare against motorcycle fatalities.

Just tell your mom that you are going swimming...;)
You will never be more alive than you are the instant you let go!

Just tell your mom that you are going swimming...;)

Where's the fun in that?
I like texting her b4 a jump, "Doing a hop n pop in a few minutes, Mum. I'm not very experienced so I hope nothing goes wrong.... If I don't make it, just give my shit to Brendan (my brother)" Mums love it when you stay in touch..

All of the above = why I hated statistics in school.

This. Statstics was the last math class I took in college. Algebra, Trig, Calculus, I did very well in all of these and had actually developed a fondness for mathematics. Then I took statistics and it just killed me. I was lucky to pass. It just seems like a completely different type of math to me and I couldn't get my head around it for whatever reason.

Chris D.

thanks "Fast..." I really enjoy what you and your other buds have to say!!!... ;)

Remind me to never, ever get on an argument with you. Scary shit.

Real statistics get ignored because they are way too difficult to understand unless you have taken :

2 college classes in "Research Methouds,"
1 class in ethics, and or moral dellemias,
3 classes in statistics, which means you have passed calculus, an equivelant class in experiment design...

Now raise your hand if you have done the previous work????

I love Fox news research, they get on the phone and call up individuals and then report on their "research" then way too many people belive what they have to say, (more lies,)

This is the big problem with statistics: you need to understand the very limited presentation of information, which in turn implies you have to have an understanding of the variables and issue in the first place, which finally means you have to understand statistics at a level that 99 peercent of the population is unable to understand....try telling 99 percent of the population>>>>that they are the ones that don't understand....

and the real scarey shit is after all of this and a few years of practical experience, the bottom line>>>>

YOU CANNOT COMPARE APPLES WTH ORANGES,...

Which means the original poster is full of shit! And is lying..

Additionally intro statistics classes don't do "case studies." (Another lie.)

I only baited this dipshit because I sometimes can amuse myself by reading my own prose, and really bad spelling a couple of days from now :)
If you do a search on the number of dipshits that say they are doing reserch on this site you will see a ridonkulous number of idiots doing "research" It makes me sick to my stomach to see some of the replies by nieve, well meaning, but neive nontheless individuals that are way too trusting,...

back in the day it was simple:

You have the fist time jumpers, (God lov em,) I was one once, they are the ones that are or were paying for everything....we now have tandems,....

anyways the rest of the world was made up of those who made their first jump and were working on their second, this was the turning point!!! Something happened after that first jump....the dz was a little brighter....the people different....you didn't wear that label that said>>> "I just want to jump once,"

We didn't do research, we just made sure we had something on our backs that would open and we would head for the door...life was simple...and a sunny day, or even overcast at 3000 would mean we would smell that smell, feel the air, the dew from jumpin through a cloud...the smell of green grass...the smell of the nylon...the noise...

all of you researchers out there...ethier go jump or just fucking leave me alone...
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I like texting her b4 a jump, "Doing a hop n pop in a few minutes, Mum. I'm not very experienced so I hope nothing goes wrong.... If I don't make it, just give my shit to Brendan (my brother)" Mums love it when you stay in touch..

Have you completed college, yet? One of my favorite lines with the kids is - one less kid to send to college.
:D
We are all engines of karma

I've done a lot of applied math modeling in the real world, but all of it has been based around conservation principles (1st law, mass, momentum). Been in the financial industry pushing 20 years now, and haven't come across a single conservation principle, but have seen LOTS of statistical based analysis, all of it based on historical data. Does NOT inspire any confidence in me.
:D

We are all engines of karma