Shyamarose

Terrified of the wind tunnel

Everyone talks about how amazing the tunnel is. My friends progress their skills much quicker than I. I watch the neat videos the teams produce. Damn, it looks sexy. I have claustrophobia (dislike elevators, roller coasters, things I can't get out of, etc) and become utterly terrified...panic attack level terrified in the tunnel. I have an irrational fear of the tunnel blades sucking me up a la Charlie and the Chocolate Factory bubble room style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQytqzQOR3Y). I am trying to get over the fear through exposure therapy, i.e., getting in there, laying on the net, looking up, taking a deep breath, slowly turning up the wind, having the instructor fly me up and down. But when solo I arch so hard that they turn up the tunnel full speed and can't get me off the net. And then I wont go back in for the remainder of the time I have purchased. I am much less afraid of jumping out of a plane than going in the tunnel. Long winded (badum tschhhh) whine short, what is the danger level of the wind tunnel and any advice on getting over it? Cause seriously, this is starting to get embarrassing and limiting.

It can't be that dangerous -- people let their kids in there all the time. Hell, these two kids freefly better than I ever will.

Most of us defeat ourselves on the plane. It seems you're doing it in the tunnel. This sport is all about controlling and getting over your fears, but it's odd how the mind works sometimes. You can't just tell yourself it's safe -- some part of you strongly believes that's not true. You can't deny and try to suppress your fear either. I found that addressing the terrified portion of my mind, acknowledging that I was frightened to myself and telling myself I was not going to let it stop me seemed to work pretty well for me. But everyone's different. I still have trouble forcing myself to do something I really don't want to do.

Or you could just not face that fear. If you're already jumping out of planes, you could just work your skills the old fashioned way. You'll get to the same place as your friends eventually, it'll just take a bit longer. It's not like you ever HAVE to go in a wind tunnel if you don't want to.

I've seen a couple outdoor models that have inflatable bumpers in case you fall off of the wind stream. Do you think that'd help with your claustrophobia? If you can find one of those it might be worth giving it a try.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I have claustrophobia (dislike elevators, roller coasters, things I can't get out of, etc) and become utterly terrified...panic attack level terrified in the tunnel. I have an irrational fear of the tunnel blades sucking me up a la Charlie and the Chocolate Factory bubble room style.

I would seek professional help for the root cause of the problem. Perhaps hypnotherapy or something.

Why fret over this? Tunnel is cool, tunnel is great for learning freefall skills..... but it is ENTIRELY optional.

Go jump and never give this another thought! Go have fun in the sky while your friends are stuck indoors in the tunnel.

Become a CReW dawg. That makes the tunnel irrelevant!!!

Skydiving is supposed to be fun....remember?
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

My friends progress their skills much quicker than I.
I have claustrophobia (dislike elevators, roller coasters, things I can't get out of, etc) and become utterly terrified...panic attack level terrified in the tunnel

So? Just don't go to the tunnel.

Spend your tunnel money on in-air coaching, and your skills will progress too. You'll also be better at exits, tracking, and canopy piloting than your friends who learn in the tunnel because you can't practice any of that in the tunnel.

There are vast areas of the country without tunnels, and tens of thousands of jumpers who have never set foot in a tunnel. You can live without it.

My friends progress their skills much quicker than I.
I have claustrophobia (dislike elevators, roller coasters, things I can't get out of, etc) and become utterly terrified...panic attack level terrified in the tunnel

So? Just don't go to the tunnel.

Spend your tunnel money on in-air coaching, and your skills will progress too. You'll also be better at exits, tracking, and canopy piloting than your friends who learn in the tunnel because you can't practice any of that in the tunnel.

There are vast areas of the country without tunnels, and tens of thousands of jumpers who have never set foot in a tunnel. You can live without it.

What Dave said.

It's a great tool. Use it if you want and can. Don't if you don't want to or can't. Plenty of good skydivers out there with no tunnels.

This being said, I'm assuming from you location this is in NH. How is the tunnel there? Never been. Some of the new tunnels have a very open feel to them. If you compare Perris or Orlando, to even a newer one or even AZ, it's night and day.
Remster

Some suggestions:

1) Try Raeford some day. It's very open, mostly transparent, and huge. It may not give you the same feeling of claustrophobia.

2) The danger level is pretty low; the worst injury we've had at Perris was a broken leg from a very poor exit. (But phobias are often not rational.)

3) If it really bothers you, skydive instead. It's more expensive per minute of freefall, but it's a lot cheaper for a day of skydiving vs a day of tunnel.

I'm terrified of sitting down on a toilet, fearing it will suck me in when i flush, so i always poop in my hand and throw it in the toilet from a distance. I don't have a pic of a cute girl in my profile so I guess no one will take me seriously, bohooohooo [:/]

Everyone talks about how amazing the tunnel is. My friends progress their skills much quicker than I. I watch the neat videos the teams produce. Damn, it looks sexy. I have claustrophobia (dislike elevators, roller coasters, things I can't get out of, etc) and become utterly terrified...panic attack level terrified in the tunnel. I have an irrational fear of the tunnel blades sucking me up a la Charlie and the Chocolate Factory bubble room style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQytqzQOR3Y). I am trying to get over the fear through exposure therapy, i.e., getting in there, laying on the net, looking up, taking a deep breath, slowly turning up the wind, having the instructor fly me up and down. But when solo I arch so hard that they turn up the tunnel full speed and can't get me off the net. And then I wont go back in for the remainder of the time I have purchased. I am much less afraid of jumping out of a plane than going in the tunnel. Long winded (badum tschhhh) whine short, what is the danger level of the wind tunnel and any advice on getting over it? Cause seriously, this is starting to get embarrassing and limiting.

First of all, anyone who says the tunnel isn't dangerous doesn't have enough tunnel hours. Your fears are completely normal. Its also loud as fuck, and you're confined between hard glass at ridiculous speeds.

Before you listen to someone tell you that you don't need the tunnel, ask them how many tunnel hours they have. Its just a completely different thing than skydiving. Listening to someone say that is like hearing a wuffo say "just don't skydive if you're scared!!". The tunnel has its own fears and its own rewards.

The tunnel will break just about any ego, which is why so many skydivers brush off the tunnel as a silly toy after they realize how frustrating it can be.

What I recommend is to talk to the instructor and driver before hand. Tell them that you don't want to come very far off the net. Point down if you want them to lower the wind. Try not to arch so hard, "get bigger", and try to fly the slower wind. Try coming off the net with a hand grip. While the tunnel IS dangerous, the instructors are extremely well trained, and the chances of getting hurt at this stage are very very very slim. Your anxiety is very legitimate, but at this stage you can push harder for sure.

I do have some advice on things that help.
- Make sure your ear plugs are jammed in tight. Noise is scary.
- Try out a full face helmet. This takes a lot of the "crazyness" out of the tunnel. I stay a lot calmer like this. The wind feels much slower and removes some anxiety when the wind is picking up.
- DO NOT worry about the progression of others. It will not help you ever, so stop it. Really, stop right now. There will always be someone progressing faster, its just life.

If you are scared of the blades sucking you up and killing you... There is only one way to overcome your fear. You must be sucked up by them, but survive. You will then be ready to fly, young grasshopper.
*make sure you wear a gopro and have one mounted on the glass

Thanks Skinnay for not just brushing off my fears. :) This is helpful. I do not want to give up on the tunnel just because I am scared of it. That makes me want to conquer it even more. Clearly there is something to overcome and that is exciting. I appreciate the push and advice!

I have claustrophobia (dislike elevators, roller coasters, things I can't get out of, etc) and become utterly terrified...

can I just ask a question? If your claustrophobia is as bad as it sounds how do manage to sit in a small, cramped jump plane for up to 20 mins on the ride up to altitude???
Spank the

I have claustrophobia (dislike elevators, roller coasters, things I can't get out of, etc) and become utterly terrified...

can I just ask a question? If your claustrophobia is as bad as it sounds how do manage to sit in a small, cramped jump plane for up to 20 mins on the ride up to altitude???

Easy..she holds my hand during the plane ride up ;)

Planes don't spark that fear as much for some reason. I don't have any logic for you. Although I do feel better in skyvans than twin otters.

I'm terrified of sitting down on a toilet, fearing it will suck me in when i flush, so i always poop in my hand and throw it in the toilet from a distance. [:/]

That is a really crappy analogy. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm terrified of sitting down on a toilet, fearing it will suck me in when i flush, so i always poop in my hand and throw it in the toilet from a distance. I don't have a pic of a cute girl in my profile so I guess no one will take me seriously, bohooohooo [:/]

:D:D:D

I have claustraphobia in airplanes that are pressurized. Apparently there is a switch in my head that gets switched on when those airtight doors are locked. That starts a recording that tells me that I can't breathe. Never had this feeling in a jump plane.

Do not try to understand a person's irrational fears. (They are, after all, irrational) Better just to sympathize and get out of the way when they are ready to chew through steel to get away from what is making them (or me) crazy.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I'm with Glideangle--try CRW! Seriously, CRW (I'll never get used to calling it CF) is a terrific discipline, and I have never met a CRWdog who had a skygod mentality.

:)

"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Planes don't spark that fear as much for some reason. I don't have any logic for you. Although I do feel better in skyvans than twin otters.

I've noticed that any fear you conquer will quickly turn into something you really enjoy, because of the work and guts you had to put into getting over that fear.

We all used to be afraid of the door, and now I'd say most skydivers here with over 50 jumps love being at the door.

I say just keep working on it and one day you'll look back and remember how scared you were, and how much you've love it now. And how damn frustrating that windy room can be.;)

I'm with Glideangle--try CRW! Seriously, CRW (I'll never get used to calling it CF) is a terrific discipline, and I have never met a CRWdog who had a skygod mentality.

Agreed! Although it won't help you overcome your claustrophobia, CRW is the most fun I've had with multiple layers of clothing on (been jumping pretty hard this winter...)

As for overcoming fear, I don't really have much useful advice. I'm currently trying to overcome a fear of spiders, and want don't want want to get a tarantula (Brachypelma Smithi to be precise). Other than exposure theory, I wouldn't really know how to overcome your claustrophobia.

Agreed! Although it won't help you overcome your claustrophobia, CRW is the most fun I've had with multiple layers of clothing on (been jumping pretty hard this winter...)

As for overcoming fear, I don't really have much useful advice. I'm currently trying to overcome a fear of spiders, and want don't want want to get a tarantula (Brachypelma Smithi to be precise). Other than exposure theory, I wouldn't really know how to overcome your claustrophobia.

I used to be scared of spiders too...but after a recent trip to Thailand I decided to be adventurous and have one of them street vendor bbq'd tarantula...it was actually pretty damn good!