skyjack2

Getting curent

How much retraining is required?

How much do you need? Smart ass answer, but really the only one that anyone on the internet can give you. Best bet would be to contact the dropzone you'd like to visit, and tell them your situation - jumps, license, layoff time, etc. They'll let you know what they'd recommend for retraining, which may very well be adapted if you show up and are either especially on top of things or especially clueless.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Welcome back!

Spend some time with your rigger and with a coach. Let them know where you are and take it easy getting back in to the sport.

Have your rigger go through your gear and check things out when your reserve gets repacked. It should all be inspected during the repack but talk with him anyway to make sure. If you had an AAD, your batteries probably need to be changed at the very least. If it is a Cypres it will need more than that. Cypres need to be sent in every 4 and 8 years for maintenance. If it is older than 12, it will have to be removed. You can jump without one until yours comes back. The wisdom of that decision can be debated in another thread.

The coach needs to see that you are being safe, in control and aware. Look through the SIM and go through a thorough briefing. Plan out every aspect of your skydive from gear check to landing and stick as close as you can to that plan. Your basic skills are probably all still there but polish up on the safety aspects, especially flying a safe pattern in to the landing area.

I have logged 473 skydives, but have not jumped since 2007. What do I do to get cleared to jump again?

What they said.

Also, you're 3 hours drive time to Orlando. The tunnel there has great instructors who can tailor a session or 3 to helping you knock some of the rust off before your first recurrency jump (assuming whomever will be your actual recurrency instructors approve).

That will differ from dropzone to dropzone. I would think that would include at the very least a thorough emergency procedure review and at least one recurrency jump with a coach or instructor.

I'm not an active jumper but at one time I too needed to get current from a multi-year lay-off, I spent several hours with an instructor on the ground reviewing and drilling safety procedures, in the harness too, but I saw no need to make the first jump with an instructor...what would an instructor help me with in the air? I wasn't going to turn points or try new things and If I did have some problem, what was the instructor going to do? remind me to pull? scold me in the air for poor body position?
I was so scared shitless on that first jump that all I could do was sightsee and do practice pulls for 10,000 ft. I probably had about a 2000 jumps, but it made no difference....I was really nervous and stressed out. The 2nd and 3rd jump I made that day felt like old times, on the 4th I was diving late and docking on a big formation. Of course this was different times and different attitudes with much less oversight going on.
These are things each individual jumper needs to evaluate and decide what makes them comfortable. In hindsight I was pushing it a bit, but I wasn't exactly being reckless.

That will differ from dropzone to dropzone. I would think that would include at the very least a thorough emergency procedure review and at least one recurrency jump with a coach or instructor.

I'm not an active jumper but at one time I too needed to get current from a multi-year lay-off, I spent several hours with an instructor on the ground reviewing and drilling safety procedures, in the harness too, but I saw no need to make the first jump with an instructor...what would an instructor help me with in the air? I wasn't going to turn points or try new things and If I did have some problem, what was the instructor going to do? remind me to pull? scold me in the air for poor body position?
I was so scared shitless on that first jump that all I could do was sightsee and do practice pulls for 10,000 ft. I probably had about a 2000 jumps, but it made no difference....I was really nervous and stressed out. The 2nd and 3rd jump I made that day felt like old times, on the 4th I was diving late and docking on a big formation. Of course this was different times and different attitudes with much less oversight going on.
These are things each individual jumper needs to evaluate and decide what makes them comfortable. In hindsight I was pushing it a bit, but I wasn't exactly being reckless.

I was more commenting on what would be the likely requirements. I think most of the drop zones I've been at (which is only a couple handfuls) would require that. I'm not an instructor and not really saying that is a good or correct procedure. As mentioned several times it really differs from dropzone to dropzone.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I am in the same situation. I hope to resume jumping again sometime this year after a 3 year layoff. I have logged over 800 jumps, but I want to ease back into the sport safely.

Let us know how your "re-entry" into skydiving goes. I am interested.
... Marion

;)

It is very comforting to see that this is your first question. :)
Welcome back, but then again you never really left did you ? :)

Just my 2 cents here but retaking the whole AFF ground school is a great idea. (I would imagine some saying that isn't necessary, and there is truth in saying that,...)

Nevertheless, taking a "recurrent" class can be a bit of an issue in that not everything gets covered! Differences in philosophy between the schools. IE Skydive University trained people may use a written syllubus and cover more information, (Please don't start flaiming me...) Other schools may have you only go over EP's with cards over your head, followed by a coach jump, where the "coach's" responsibility is only to observe you, and they have been trained to NOT assist with your deployment as just one example.

So many people associate retaking an AFF complete ground school with some negative issues or making other comparisons,...

I'm trying to point out there is no shame and in fact there is in comparison a huge benifite in spending a day learning and reenforcing what you allready know as compared with the latter...

There isn't a cost concern is there? Most AFF ground schools end up costing the same as a recurrency anyways?

Hell I'd like to see a full day recurrency for everyone, those of you who have the stones to say that you don't need a full day course cause you have gobs of experience,...

as they say in our USA constitution,...you may have a responsibility to show the rest of us a better way!

Anyways, I applaud your proactive approach!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

So many people associate retaking an AFF complete ground school with some negative issues or making other comparisons,...

Hell I'd like to see a full day recurrency for everyone

There is no such thing as a full day of recurrent training.

Keep in mind that an average AFF FJC might take 6 to 8 hours. Out of that, there are several hours dedicated to things a jumper seeking recurrent training does not need.

Any part of the AFF dive flow, exit training, or dirt diving is not needed as part of the recurrent training. Given the experience of the jumper in question, they also do not need to sit in on the basic body position portions of the class.

Topics like malfunctions, emergency procedures, pull priorities, canopy control and landing priorities and aircraft emergencies are all that a jumper getting current would need out of an AFF FJC.

The remainder of the recurrent trianing would be specific to the jumper and the instructor making the jump.

So the 'whole day' is a misnomer at best. If would be about half of the FJC, but in any event, the FJC is a great place to stick an uncurrent jumper for the topics listed above.