billbooth

Booth's Law #2

>Some kind of device that signals if you have another skydiver at less
>than 50 feet away could offer a way to at least be prepared for impact.

Sure, TCAS will do that for you. It's a collision avoidance system for aircraft. It will warn you who's near you, and determine whether or not they are a threat. You can get them on sale for about $10K. (That's for a TCAS I, that just gives you warnings. To get advisories i.e. turn left to avoid impact you'd need TCAS II, which is more expensive.)

With some work, you could probably get that down to $2K or so. It would probably weigh about 10 pounds depending on what sort of display you wanted.

Bill,
Everyone knows that the low canopy will always snivel.
Sparky

Sparky-
Wasn't it you that told me...
"The longer you take to pack, the longer it takes to open?" :o

Sounds reasonable to me!
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I remember someting like a tamagotchi, you could programme it some and it would sound a alarm if somebody matching your "description" and you matching theirs came within 10 feet. I think it was called a Date-alarm or something.

I think I paid $6 for it and it probably weigh 20 grams or something. You could hear it all over a subwaystation so I figure the signal to be strong enough to work if you are hanging under canopy.

Not as reliable as you might want it to be to use it for skydiving but not near the $2K you mentioned.

Like I said just being prepared might save some lives and if it's not going to cost me more than a jumpticket I would at least try it.

A TCAS II would be fun to try though, as you said it meets all the requirements.

/M

Actually, the TCAS II only gives vertical guidance in avoidance manuevers not horizontal. An RA (resolution advisory) will sound with "Traffic, traffic, Climb, climb" and then give you a vertical speed to try and achieve for avoidance.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I'm typically with in about 20-50 feet of people on the flight back to the DZ. Might as well try to fly nice and close and in formation if you can right?

Keep your head on a swivel, fly like everyone is aiming to kill you and note the ones that need watching. Simple enough with out relying on gadets.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

An RA (resolution advisory) will sound with "Traffic, traffic, Climb, climb" and then give you a vertical speed to try and achieve for avoidance.

I've got to work on my canopy skills. Haven't quite gotten the hang of climbing at a set speed yet.

Jumprunner aka stylin

Nooo, just jumprunner. Jumprunner is an athletic name and Im athletic, so it fits me pretty well. I finally found one that Im pretty settled with, so I wont have to change names anymore.

Too true. You are responsible for your own safety, of course I do tend to jump from 13k:P

So you can go out the door with me and show me some of those sexy tricks of yours:D

There might even be possible to get the device to separate from skydiver behind you - skydiver in front of you, skydiver moving away - coming right at you but as with the numbers mentioned before somebody else is more qualified then me to answer that.

PS. I didn't do a search of the forums since I really couldn't imagine what to search for. DS.

Fast forward to the year 2050

Canopy Control, Hook Turn and Turf Surfing Training

previously posted elsewhere
---
I have a dream that my posts will one day will not be judged by the color of the fonts or settings in a Profile but by the content.
Geronimo_AT_http://ParachuteHistory.com

Actually, the TCAS II only gives vertical guidance in avoidance manuevers not horizontal. An RA (resolution advisory) will sound with "Traffic, traffic, Climb, climb" and then give you a vertical speed to try and achieve for avoidance.

I have a 'sure fire' system that seems to keep other jumpers well away from me...:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

nitecane1.jpg

So Booth's Law #1 was brought up in an incident thread. Which naturally got me to searching (I had never heard of your laws.) I really like and agree with Law's 1 and 2. What are the rest? Harry Potty has been out long enough that you should be done reading it by now. ;)

true, when I first started skydiving, admittedly 3 months ago, I was suprised as hell at the lack of "rules" for air traffic. With firmer guidelines collisions would be less likely, no matter what the WL of the canopy pilot is. Im still shocked everytime I pull at 3.5k-3k (what everyone else pulls at my DZ for the most part) how crazy and hectic it is. Kinda scary in light of the recent canopy collisions. [:/]

You were surprised with the rules? I was surprised with the training. 3 mo ago I took the first ground school course before a static line jump, everything was gone over very vaguely. On the cutaway, the second I "touched" the cutaway handle he said "okay you passed". After this course everything was still pretty much a mystery.

In just a few hours of really shitty training they had me up on the first jump, not knowing WTF I was doing. I think the training for something like skydiving is pretty inadequate, compare this to the Army, where you train two weeks just for a static line jump. But we're not talking about that, we're talking about skydiving, where you fall at top speed from a high altitude and then decelerate, 'a little' bit more involved than some static line pulling a canopy open right away.

Just a few hours and youre up in the air risking your life, that might be a reson for some of the fatalities. Right now, I know most of what I know from reading a book, watching a video, and this forum. I think if youre relying on the content you get from a dz, youre probably making a big mistake.

Anybody agree with this?

Yes i do. im amazed i didnt think of this earlier.. however my training was far better then what you described it was less then 8 hours of class total before i was throwing myself out of an airplane.. interesting thought.