MFS

'Big Boy' A-License dropzone needed

So I just found out my dropzone does not have a big boy rig for students seeking an A-license.

I am 6'9" / 250lbs.

Does anybody know of a dropzone that would offer an A-License for my situation?

I am willing to travel anywhere in the states to make this happen.

Thank you!

Sorry , not being flip here,...

Loose 10 lbs and come to DeLand!

;)

They, depending upon your instructor, might be a little flexible, the word is that they want to see how you fit in their big boy....

Call ahead...

Just heard from Pepperell, same issues, call ahead...

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

So I just found out my dropzone does not have a big boy rig for students seeking an A-license.

I am 6'9" / 250lbs.

Does anybody know of a dropzone that would offer an A-License for my situation?

I am willing to travel anywhere in the states to make this happen.

Thank you!

It's your weight that is the issue, a number of people are abnormally tall, I'd suggest calling the gear shop at crosskeys for tall advice, they had a vector last year for sale for an individual that was 6-4.

BTW, can you list some of the dropzones and their responses to your question?

You have indicated you are willing to travel anywhere? But I would like to see what steps you have actually taken so far,...

I ask because this issue has come up so many times in the past, and I was trying to get a better picture as to just how different dz's across the country are doing or handeling this issue?

No point in duplication of efforts...
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

SDC limit is 220, that is my first choice if I can make it happen.

220 at 6' 9" ?? heck I'm 250 + all day and last time I checked 6' 4" + any dz with a 288 manta should take you no prob. I'd love to jump with you some day bro.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

SDC limit is 220, that is my first choice if I can make it happen.

220 at 6' 9" ?? heck I'm 250 + all day and last time I checked 6' 4" + any dz with a 288 manta should take you no prob. I'd love to jump with you some day bro.

DUUUDE.. 220 at that height = floaty butt :ph34r:

Agreed on the floaty.

Fast = 5'4 at 240.... Flatty speed around 145. Like a Ferrari.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Spaceland is south of Houston. It's nowhere near Austin.

My mistake, I have no idea where Austin came from. Houston!

Spaceland is a fantastic facility. For what it's worth, I work at Skydive San Marcos which is in between San Antonio and Austin and we, too, have a "big boy" rig with a 300 navigator in it.

Chuck

Flat904line

It's been about 6 years since you posted about learning as a big guy. Just wondering how it went for you, as I am a bigger guy also looking to learn.

He probably is not going to answer.

Last Login:
Dec 14, 2013, 9:23 PM

But hopefully someone else will help you.

I'm a 6ft 3" 240lbs guy (with gear) and there is nothing really to worry about. Did my first jumps with a 250-270, the difference is marginal. And you still load it bellow or just around 1. Anything in this range is perfectly acceptable for a student. The student canopies don't scream to the ground and are very docile. Most of them are rated up to 1.1 so it's perfectly safe (for an extreme sport).

The real difference comes when you go beyond 1.1 and start flying first sports canopies. You cannot compare yourself to a 180lbs jumper starting on a 210-190. That is one of the things that keeps bothering me with all wingload calculators. They assume a 180lbs jumper under 150 is the same as a 240lbs under a 190.

6 YEARS LATER...

It was great, I went down to Spaceland in Houston. It was a bit difficult to find a rig that worked for me (6''9") but overall make sure your instructor knows how to work with tall/big people. I had a unique accident where my shoulder popped out at around 10k ft. I didn't know what was happening at the time but thank God I landed safely. I have it all on video too. Learn the basics and memorize the important steps for safety. Let me know if you have any specific questions.