DKane

Newbie wondering if skydiving is for me

I remember reading a quote in the dark ages of the sport known as BT (before Tandems) which went something like " Any first time jumper who is not scared to the very edge of his wits does not appreciate the seriousness of what he is undertaking."Scared to edge of my wits described my first static line jump almost exactly. Fortunately, each succeeding jump became less thrilling and more fun.

I'm not sure why you have to make a post asking if skydiving is for you and whether or not you should get into it....?:S

You say you have the money to do it now that you're older and such... So get to the dropzone and give it a shot. That's the only way you'll find out.

You criticized yourself for over-researching before doing your first tandem. Now you're doing the same for another jump.

Less talk. More Walk. In my mind you're like all my whuffo friends who say they'd love to skydive but don't have the money but when it comes to friday/saturday nights they're at the clubs spending 100-200$ on alcohol....B|

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

You could always just write poetry about the IDEA of skydiving.

"What kind of canopy do ya jump?"

"It's a Haiku." :)

It's got 17 cell-ables. :P

It'll never fly. The lines are too short.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I think you have to have the passion to do this. Take AFF1 and see how you feel about it then.

IF Aff1 interests you then consider taking the full AFF course but know this...initial start up from AFF to student status to licensed can cost you on average of $7000 (minus gas, minus if you opt to take wind tunnel lessons, minus time).
As you transition off AFF and go into student status, you want to have an interest to do solo jumps as part of the requirement to earn your A license.
And once you're on the A license you gotta have the passion and drive to stick with the sport knowing you'll have to invest in your own rig or rent while you work your way to your own rig.

Money aside, you have to want to skydive, enjoy the community, enjoying hanging around the DZ (someone told me 99% of the time you're spending it on the ground), getting to know different people, willing to take time to dedicate yourself to this sport, sacrifice other hobbies, etc.
I think if you want to do it and have a genuine interest you'll keep up with the sport. If not you'll be come one of those 1 jump wonders we see one weekend at the DZ and never again.

I did my tandem in 1996. I didn't start AFF until 2011.

I didn't really get the rush from the tandem that I was expecting - in fact, after a few seconds in freefall, the instructor was yelling in my ear "ARE YOU OK? ARE YOU OK?", and when I yelled back "I'M FINE!", he said "WHY AREN'T YOU SCREAMING." I was just trying to enjoy the ride. Landed, thought it was cool having done it, but that was enough.

In 2011, I was sitting in a booth at a trade fair in Las Vegas, and there were LCD screens across from me with a DVD on loop showing 2 guys in wingsuits proximity flying. The Vegas wind tunnel was right next door, so when the show ended I flew in the tunnel just because it was in my head. Called my girlfriend to tell her how cool it was, and she said "Let's go jump for real next weekend!" We went to a dropzone, decided to give AFF a shot - at least one jump.

When I landed, the addiction began. That was 2 years ago almost to the day, and not 1 day goes by where I don't read, watch or do something related to the sport. It has changed my life.

Do it!