FlowArtist

Do I pay first before receiving rig?

I'm new to skydiving and am trying to find a rig to buy in the classifieds section. I'm communicating with one seller but they want me to pay the entire sum first before he ships it.
I thought the protocol was for them to send it to my DZ first to have it inspected and so I can try it on; then I pay. Is that how it goes or is it normal to pay first?
I don't feel comfortable sending someone several thousand dollars before I even see or try on the rig.
Thanks

Contact Chuting Star gear store. They do an escrow deal where the seller ships them the rig, and they do an inspection. If it passes, you pay Chuting Star for the rig, and they send you the rig and the seller the money. I think all you pay them is the fee to inspect the gear. If a buyer is not willing to work with a 3rd party escrow service, then how will they handle things if the rig doesn't fit or pass an inspection when it gets to you after you have paid?

Of course, there are the issues of who pays to ship the rig to Chuting Star, and who pays for the inspection, both in the case the rig passes, and the case that it doesn't. These are details to work out in advance.

Another 'detail' is that if the reserve is packed, it will be unpacked for the purpose of an inspection. Make sure they know that it will be returned uppacked. No buyer is going to buy a rig with a sealed reserve, so it will need to be opened eventually, just make sure they understand this.

Also, make sure you understand that an inspection does not include jumping the rig. If you plan to jump the rig, make sure the seller knows this and agrees beforehand. If you have a cutaway or damage a rig that you haven't paid for, who is responsible for what should be laid out ahead fo time.

I just bought a complete rig from there. I did not pay beforehand. You shouldn't have to if they are sending it to a well known rigger/company for the service. I didn't even pay shipping it here. Maybe I got lucky?
I wouldn't do that to someone if I was selling a rig.
Some people that I tried to buy a rig off of that required payment before shipping were I found out later high on the price, and were trying to make money off the sale.

Thanks guys. That's what I thought. I told the seller he can send it to skydive perris

Is that your home DZ? See if he can send it to Square1 for an inspection. They are a reputable store/rigging loft, and if he won't send it there without payment, there's a problem with the rig/deal.

I didn't know that's where you jumped. Perris is one of the largest, most wwll-known DZs on the planet. There's no excuse for a seller not willing to ship a rig to Square1. I was thinking you jumped at some no-name DZ in the middle of nowhere, where the seller wouldn't know one guy from another, but between Perris and Square1, it's a 'safe' option to ship the rig there.

The upside is that you save the trouble/cost of shipping the rig to an escrow service and then to you. Also, you can try the rig on while only paying one shipping charge as well.

I've sold numerous gear items without using an escrow service and requiring payment up front. The buyer has 30 days from the day they get it to return it for a refund (not including shipping, and assuming it is in the same condition). I only cash the money order after the buyer has let me know they are happy (or the 30 days has passed).

This allows the buyer time to have the item inspected and jump it before making the sale final, and it saves the expense of using an escrow service. imho, it is important that the buyer be able to jump the gear before making their final decision.

btw, this is the same thing Square One does with their used gear sales; that's where I learned it. :)

A couple things -

First off, the protocol of having the seller ship the gear to a rigger/loft/DZ is pretty standard in the sport. You can search "Rigger as Escrow" for a lot of info. As DaveLepka said, Chutingstar does the escrow part for free. Standard fees for inspection and shipping (you can find those on the Chutingstar website) and a lot of peace of mind. Many DZs/rigging lofts do something similar.

And the "Holder" for the escrow doesn't have to be a DZ, store, or even a rigger. It can be any third party that both the buyer and the seller can agree on.

OTOH, there are a number of smaller, but well known, reliable and trustworthy dealers who put their stuff on the classifieds here.
Don't be too surprised if you get something like "I'm a dealer, you can ask about my reputation. I don't do escrow." You can then check them out (either at your dz or on here) and decide if you want to deal with them their way or not.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

What's your preferred method of dealing with the possibility of damage to or loss of the gear while it's being jumped on approval? - cutaway, whatever..?

You jump it; you bust it... you've bought it.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

A lot of good points, but make sure that you and the seller have the right expectation. Check out the seller. Make a few phone calls to where they normally skydive and talk to local DZO. Experienced skydivers will have a + or - reputation.

Escrow is a + with a large sale. Discuss this with YOUR instructor or local rigger that you trust.

A low time jumper does not know enough at this point and you can make an expensive mistake. Trust the people who trained you.
Dano

What's your preferred method of dealing with the possibility of damage to or loss of the gear while it's being jumped on approval? - cutaway, whatever..?

Gotta be returned in the same condition it was received in. If they damage it, they either fix it or pay for the fix; no refund for any money spent by the buyer on the gear (ie for a harness resize).

I've gotten a lot of good deals by being the one guy who trusted the seller, that has way more than paid for the one time I got burned by Shawn Jackson who goes by Swoop it, vortexr1 and lately skydive435 here.

Damn, have you been able to confront the SOB? We had one unsavory dealing a few years back and we had friends all over helping us out, cornering the offender. B|

I've gotten a lot of good deals by being the one guy who trusted the seller, that has way more than paid for the one time I got burned by Shawn Jackson who goes by Swoop it, vortexr1 and lately skydive435 here.

Damn, have you been able to confront the SOB? We had one unsavory dealing a few years back and we had friends all over helping us out, cornering the offender. B|

Karma is a motherfucker...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4463418;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;