angryelf

getting into freefly...

I have approx. 20 sitfly jumps and would like to improve-any suggestions on reading material or videos to check out? also want to kneefly-thoughts?
Just getting started into freefly...don't want to get real crazy just yet b/c of my current container (Vector II w/ velcro riser covers-container has been very secure on video thus far during sit flys, but really dont want to push my luck...).
I would appreciate any suggestions--thanks
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

Get freefly friendly gear first. Then find a good freeflyer and buy him/her some slots in exchange for coaching.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Unless you get some bridle protection put on, I would not do any more freeflying on an unmodified Vector II.

I've heard nasty stories of premature openings breaking the arms of people sitflying in older gear.

I know it's really tempting, I've been in the exact same situation, but it's a definite danger.

Ask your instructor/ rigger if your rig is ff friendly if yes, then just start jumping with people and hope one of them have a camera so they could point out what you need to work on. Takes bunch of jumps to learn remember you are learning 1 minute at a time.

What he said. Especially if it still has a leg strap throwout DO NOT SIT FLY THIS RIG!>:( Risers aren't the main issue. Wind striping the bridle and extracting the PC is the problem.

Risers aren't the main thing but they are extremely significant. I've seen risers come off the shoulders and toggles come loose and become entangled leading to a cutaway. It's not all that remote a possibility that a loose toggle could entangle with part of the rig or the jumper's body leading to problems cutting away.

At the same time I've directly witnessed several premature deployments from a prematurely extracted PC and I've experienced one myself. In every such case the jumper landed the main without any significant injury beyond being massively spanked by the opening.

Now my experience is a fairly limited window so there are no conclusions to be drawn. The bottom line is make sure all your gear is freefly friendly before doing freefly.

Here's something really important.
At low jump numbers an AAD and an audible are as close to mandatory as can be. Loss of altutide awareness is a serious risk for the low time jumper getting into freeflying. Ask wicked experienced freeflyers about the early days when they were basically teaching it to themselves. Practically every one of them has some gnarly story about a CYRPRES fire, low pull, etc.
It's a big deal. At low jump numbers you are still experiencing a significant amount of sensory overload even if it has subsided greatly from that first jump. I teach in my first jump course that the two primary effects of sensory overload are time distortion and a closing down of your general awareness (tunnel vision). Both of this effects increase again when you attempt new things in the air. Add to this the increased fall rate of freefall, and how awesome it feels when you actually stick that body position and a loss of altitude awareness is practically guaranteed. Knowledge and proper gear and instrumentation are your best weapons in turning the tables in your favor.