aidanjames1

Practice Flare

I was just wondering how you practice flaring without stalling.

Less toggle input. As you're flaring your canopy, you will notice a certain point in your toggle stroke (or rear risers if you're pulling those instead) past which your canopy will stall.

This is a point you want to know intimately, because you don't want to stall your canopy accidentally. Practicing in clear airspace and well above your hard deck will allow you to get a feel for where this point is. It will also help you feel out your flare and understand its characteristics. Is is a powerful flare, sluggish flare, somewhere in between? These are things you want to know to keep yourself safe in the air and as you're coming in to land.

I was just wondering how you practice flaring without stalling. Is it important to practice flare?

You want to know where that stall point is so that you can avoid doing it when you're flaring for real near the ground. And to learn where that point is, you practice it up high.

One of the exercises in my canopy course was fully stalling the canopy and recovering. I had to wrap the steering lines on my student canopy around my hands 3 times to get the damn thing to actually stall. You do this sort of thing above your decision altitude so you can cut away and pull the reserve if something goes wrong.

Which is a round-about way of saying it's OK to stall it, as long as you're doing it correctly. Talk to your instructor prior to attempting :P

I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

One of the exercises in my canopy course was fully stalling the canopy and recovering. I had to wrap the steering lines on my student canopy around my hands 3 times to get the damn thing to actually stall. You do this sort of thing above your decision altitude so you can cut away and pull the reserve if something goes wrong.

Which is a round-about way of saying it's OK to stall it, as long as you're doing it correctly. Talk to your instructor prior to attempting :P

Also talk to you instructor before "taking a wrap" with the steering lines around your hands while you're still a student. Only do so if cleared to do it by your instructor.

This is the wrong place for advice. I'm guessing you are doing a first jump course and possibly haven't jumped yet?

Your dz will have a progression and you will get to practice at the appropriate time. Hang around the dz after jumping stops and you should find a helpful instructor for this kind of advice, if not consider another dz...

Another thing, student parachutes are designed to be much more tolerant than other canopies. I've seen people walk away from landings as students that would have been far worse on sports canopies.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Also talk to you instructor before "taking a wrap" with the steering lines around your hands while you're still a student. Only do so if cleared to do it by your instructor.

Yah. He was all like "That didn't look like a stall! Do it again and wrap the steering lines around your hands two or three times this time!" It stalled real nice after that!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Yah. He was all like "That didn't look like a stall! Do it again and wrap the steering lines around your hands two or three times this time!" It stalled real nice after that!

My first one scared the holy shit out of me when I slammed the toggles back up and watched that canopy dive over my head...and kept on going until it was below me with slack lines inviting me to fall into it to get wrapped up like a Christmas present. That slap when the lines went taut snapped my ass into near oblivion.

Back on the ground, my S&TA came out of the hangar and asked me...
"You stalled it, didn't you?"
"Ummmmm...yeah. Howdja you know?"
"I heard you screaming like a little schoolgirl."
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239