Thedivingdog

Do I make enough $$ to jump?

I'm 18, full time high school student making around 13k a year, 10k after taxes. Was planning on starting skydiving this spring break but I've been busy, as soon as I graduate I'll start jumping almost everyday and buy a rig because renting seems kinda expensive, with a budget of 6k will I be able to get a good one? Didn't want to make a thread for this so I'll just ask here.

I found a buddy a used rig in great condition for a bit over 1/3 that.

How do you find good used gears, do you find them in DZ? or look online?

You do that and do what you're doing here...ask around.

Somebody asked a similar question not long ago, I knew of a guy selling a super clean 8 year old rig with an AAD that was exactly what he was looking for. I put the two in contact, seller got rid of a rig he didn't need, buyer got a primo deal...happens all the time.

Don't be in a hurry, at this point you don't really know what you're looking for.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm 18, full time high school student making around 13k a year, 10k after taxes........

Umm? Do you play poker? :)

Haha no, I have a part time job at a loading/unloading dock, I suck at poker.

All the better, we can teach you...
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I'm 18, full time high school student making around 13k a year, 10k after taxes........

Haha I've always wondered, since I'm 18 and can't buy beer yet, how do I pay my debts to other skydivers if I can't buy beer? Do I just give them the money and watch them drink while I sit there? I've always wondered this.

Haha I've always wondered, since I'm 18 and can't buy beer yet, how do I pay my debts to other skydivers if I can't buy beer? Do I just give them the money and watch them drink while I seat there? I've always wondered this.

Couple choices. 1) You ask someone else to buy the beer on your behalf, and you enjoy the atmosphere on the dropzone while the beer is being consumed. Whether you actually consume any is, of course, your personal choice. ;) 2) You bring in something else that you can legally purchase and enjoy to pay your "debt," whether it's a cooler full of ice cold sports drinks & bottled water on a hot day, or buying a stack of pizzas to feed the hungry masses at day's end.

Note that some people will disagree with me on #2, but I think it's more about the sharing and camaraderie of "paying your debts" than it is about beer, specifically. #2 works for people who can't or don't drink, whether due to age or personal choice.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That looks like a good way to budget. Luckily my parents taught me well and I had no debt (before student loans that is, yeesh..) and pay my cc bill in full.
Question: Have folks figured out what percentage of their income (or entertainment budget) they put toward skydiving? Just curious..

Yea.

All of it.

Then figure out more ways to make money so you can continue to spend all of it.

I started in Nov. I think I have spent around 12-13k

6 hours of tunnel time and 35 jumps, A license and my own gear.

Here's a breakdown:

Tunnel -- 6300

Gear -- 1800(rig) 300(the rest) --- 2100

A license -- 3050 (had one repeat on lvl 1)

10 rental jumps -- 550

So..yea right at ~12k

The gear pays for itself in 60 more jumps.

In the end, it's your life, live it as you see fit. Skydiving is one of the most piss poor financial investments I can think of, but if you have a love for it, it's one of the most rewarding I can think of.

I bought a 20 year old rig with no AAD for 750. Has worked just fine so far. I think ima treat myself to a graduation present and buy a 50 jump block at Lodi. Like you said, jumping is a piss poor investment, but boy is it fun.. Thanks for the input y'all!

Haha I've always wondered, since I'm 18 and can't buy beer yet, how do I pay my debts to other skydivers if I can't buy beer? Do I just give them the money and watch them drink while I sit there? I've always wondered this.

c'mon kid, thats a NO-brainer
get yourself a fake ID!!!!!!!
gravity brings me down.........