Thedivingdog

Do I make enough $$ to jump?

Damn, a BA just ain't what it used to be.. I am graduating in May and am considering getting back into the sport. I quit about a year ago because I was a full time student and honestly just couldn't afford it. Now I have some employment lined up and am wondering if i should get back into it. I know in the end it's my decision based on my priorities, I was just wondering if folks out there had a magic number they need to make in order to be able to jump. I don't have many expenses, but I'm also looking at not making very much at all. Perhaps 20k a year.. Not that I'm complaining, it's great to even have a job. But can I really afford to skydive? Just looking for some thoughts. Thanks!

Are you licensed?

Do you have your own gear?

IMO these were the things that cost me the most in just "getting into the sport?

How much are you willing to sacrifice in order to purchase those jump tickets?

How close is your nearest DZ?

All these will p;ay a BIG part into weather to want to sacrifice other things in your life in order to jump
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

There is no magic number. If you want to jump badly enough you can make it happen. I've never made much money but I pack on weekends to be able to afford to jump. At that I can't jump as much as I want but it is a lot better than not jumping at all.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

http://www.fool.com/personal-finance/saving/budgeting-for-lazy-people.aspx

Or, to simplify it even further, can you make it so that your expenses < income such that you have enough left over to skydive? And remember, income doesn't have to come from just your primary job.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You can jump as little or as much as you want (or can afford).

The trick is to keep in mind that if you have 85 jumps, and you can only make 3 or 4 jumps per month, you're not going to be 'performing' at a very high level. Your buddies who jump every weekend are going to be doing jumps that you're not 'qualifed for' based on your currency. Bigger jumps, smaller canopies, wingsuits, etc, are not for the guy who jumps a couple times per month.

Solos, 2-ways, or 3-4 ways with more experienced jumpers are the choice for an infrequent jumper. You'll also want to be more conservative with wind limits, standing down before others who may be more 'active' jumpers.

Finally, look into packing or getting a part time job. If you can get a spot on the packing mat at the DZ, you could make enough to pay for your jumps. It wouldn't be hard to make 2 or 3 jumps and pack enough to earn $50/$60 in a day at the DZ, which pays for all or most of your jumps. You could also look for some part time work 2 or 3 niight per week, and make enough to pay for 4 or 5 jumps evey weekend.

That looks like a good way to budget. Luckily my parents taught me well and I had no debt (before student loans that is, yeesh..) and pay my cc bill in full.
Question: Have folks figured out what percentage of their income (or entertainment budget) they put toward skydiving? Just curious..

i do not have a percentage number, however i can tell you- i spend alot of my income (un)wisely..??..?

i am a financially irresponsible idiot. i have 70k in debt to car/student loans (since i choose to make no more than minimum payments), my credit is ruined, but i have about 10k invested in sky/BASE/ground launching gear, and am pretty f#$@in happy with my life.

i have also recently moved out of my apartment, and on to a friends couch, for 150 bucks a month, in the name of gear and now cranking up my jump numbers. i am 34 years old. if i wanted to pack part time i could definitely do it, but i hate packing, so ive chosen the couchsurfing route. if you need it, you will make it happen.

its all about what your life priorities are
gravity brings me down.........

And remember, income doesn't have to come from just your primary job.

Yeah.....I'm in errrr 'import & sales' :$

;)

Well, I was thinking packing, but that'll work too. :D:D:D

To the OP: as for a percentage, it's probably meaningless since we all have such a wide range of income. So I could tell you I spend 20% of my income on skydiving, but it doesn't mean anything unless you know whether I make $20,000 or $200,000.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I got married about a year ago and one thing that I let my wife know is that my hobby is something I refuse to do without. So I budget out every two weeks for skydiving. Why work if you can’t enjoy the spoils? So in other words, “ I work hard so I can play hard “ and that’s all there is to it. Yea, I could be using the money I spend on something else. But all in all this is my choice and this is what I choose to do with the money I work so hard for.
Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

In my time in the sport I've gone from making considerably more than 20K/yr to considerably less and then back to considerably more.

When jumping as much as I would like I've always been broke. :D

All that said, if I had some fiduciary responsibility to you I would advise against using any of your primary income for jumping. Fresh out of school and at an entry level position is tough. You need to try and build as much reserves as you can.

There was mention of packing on the weekends, etc. Depending on your level of dedication and what drop-zone is around you can definitely pack for jumps. To pull decent jump numbers you will be working your ass off on the weekends, but it's a great experience that I've seen many work to their advantage.

In the end, it's your life, live it as you see fit. Skydiving is one of the most piss poor financial investments I can think of, but if you have a love for it, it's one of the most rewarding I can think of.

Buy a couple jump tickets...rent/borrow a rig and dip your toes back in. One way or another you will figure it out. :D

I know in the end it's my decision based on my priorities, I was just wondering if folks out there had a magic number they need to make in order to be able to jump.

The magic number isn't a $ figure, it's a priority scale.

If jumping is high on it you'll find a way, if it isn't there isn't anything wrong with that.

I started jumping right out of high school, because an instructor and worked part time at a dz during college. After college I found ways to supplement my income in order to keep skydiving.

It was a very high priority to me, I'd rather work long hours and skydive than put in 40 at one job and not jump.

I had crappy used gear sometimes & NEVER got to jump as much as I woul have liked...but I was SKYDIVING! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm 18, full time high school student making around 13k a year, 10k after taxes. Was planning on starting skydiving this spring break but I've been busy, as soon as I graduate I'll start jumping almost everyday and buy a rig because renting seems kinda expensive, with a budget of 6k will I be able to get a good one? Didn't want to make a thread for this so I'll just ask here.

I'm 18, full time high school student making around 13k a year, 10k after taxes. Was planning on starting skydiving this spring break but I've been busy, as soon as I graduate I'll start jumping almost everyday and buy a rig because renting seems kinda expensive, with a budget of 6k will I be able to get a good one? Didn't want to make a thread for this so I'll just ask here.

I found a buddy a used rig in great condition for a bit over 1/3 that.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Are you counting the ~ $2500-3000 for training to A-license in that $6000 budget? Anyway, yes you should be able to get a good serviceable used rig in there.

Man, I never had as much extra money and time as when I was a student.

Are you counting the ~ $2500-3000 for training to A-license in that $6000 budget? Anyway, yes you should be able to get a good serviceable used rig in there.

No, the 3k for the A license is separate. So 6k it's enough for good used gear? around how much is a new one?

I found a buddy a used rig in great condition for a bit over 1/3 that.

How do you find good used gears, do you find them in DZ? or look online?

Depends on options, a new rig is somewhere around $7000. I got a good used rig for $4000, with an AAD as well. So you should be able to get one and have quite a lot of money left over for jumps.

For good used gear it helps to be in the normal sized range and to be patient. Don't try to buy gear now, wait until you are well into your training and have access to good experienced advisors.

No, the 3k for the A license is separate. So 6k it's enough for good used gear? around how much is a new one?

Brand-new everything can run you in the 7-8K range. 6K is plenty for used gear; with 6K you could even get a combination of used and new gear. Or you could spend less on gear and use a good portion of that for jumping. Newer, flashier gear doesn't make you a better skydiver. More jumps can. B|

Depends on options, a new rig is somewhere around $7000. I got a good used rig for $4000, with an AAD as well. So you should be able to get one and have quite a lot of money left over for jumps.

For good used gear it helps to be in the normal sized range and to be patient. Don't try to buy gear now, wait until you are well into your training and have access to good experienced advisors.

Yeah I know, I just like to hear different opinions from people. Thanks.

I spent 2200 on a complete used rig with a container that had less then 100 jumps and a canopy with less then 30. It had 9 months left on the cypres. Used it all until the cypres expired. I then sold the main for 1100 bought a new main for 1900. Bought a new cypres for 1200. So total I have a new main,new cypres,used reserve with 0 jumps and a container that has less then 100.

2200-1100+1900+1200=4200.

It also cost me a little under 3 grand for my 47 jumps thats including all the coaching up to my A. So I have 47 jumps and a complete rig and it cost me 7200. So yes with 10k you should be fine ;). I also did static line, so if you do AFF I bet you will come closer to your 10k limit. Find a good deal on used gear and follow the advice in the article on the main page here and you will be fine.

I spent 2200 on a complete used rig with a container that had less then 100 jumps and a canopy with less then 30. It had 9 months left on the cypres. Used it all until the cypres expired. I then sold the main for 1100 bought a new main for 1900. Bought a new cypres for 1200. So total I have a new main,new cypres,used reserve with 0 jumps and a container that has less then 100.

2200-1100+1900+1200=4200.

It also cost me a little under 3 grand for my 47 jumps thats including all the coaching up to my A. So I have 47 jumps and a complete rig and it cost me 7200. So yes with 10k you should be fine ;). I also did static line, so if you do AFF I bet you will come closer to your 10k limit. Find a good deal on used gear and follow the advice in the article on the main page here and you will be fine.

Thanks!