Trev_S

Transporting rig by bike

Top boxes are generally too small.

Backpack style, I would recommend having adjustable shoulder straps. Let it hang onto the seat. Your shoulders will get tired. Also, Get a waist strap for it. It can, by wind, and certain turns etc, slide off the seat, since you not hainging it from the shoulders.

I found the best way was a strechable net, and the bag behind me. You get those nets from most bikes shops. You get lower centre of gravity, and it doesn't shift. Also, no worry about shoulders. When it rains, just go faster, it will not get wet behind you.

And, if you are into popping the front wheel, be carefull of the weight at the back.....

Life starts at 9000rpm, and ends at a tree. Be safe.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Backpack style, I would recommend having adjustable shoulder straps. Let it hang onto the seat. Your shoulders will get tired. Also, Get a waist strap for it. It can, by wind, and certain turns etc, slide off the seat, since you not hainging it from the shoulders.

I found the best way was a strechable net, and the bag behind me. You get those nets from most bikes shops. You get lower centre of gravity, and it doesn't shift. Also, no worry about shoulders. When it rains, just go faster, it will not get wet behind you.

And, if you are into popping the front wheel, be carefull of the weight at the back.....

Life starts at 9000rpm, and ends at a tree. Be safe.

Something else to maybe think about...make a custom bag that fit's both your gear & bike.

Years ago I had a Honda Hurricane I'd ride from San Diego to Elsinore all the time. I made a bag that clipped to the rear of the seat and extended over the back fender roughly following those contours.

It had a step in the bottom back half that went behind the seat over the fender, the jumpsuit & helmet went there. The rig lay on top flat...the whole thing was about 8 inches above the seat-line, and gave a little back support for the tired 2 hour ride home.

Weight distribution was over the back axle & relatively low, it was very secure and didn't move around at all...I could run the 'Sunrise Hwy twisties' petty quick with no handling problems at all.

- I jump big rigs so it extended back to the tail light, I had one YKK zipper running along the top so I could access the contents without removing the bag.

It was temporarily attached with 3 larger male/female plastic clips- larger version of what's on a lot of helmets...and friction pull-down tighteners.

Made it from couple yards of cordura like material, silver in color to match the bike.

The whole set-up cost me about 50.00 in parts and a couple hours in the rigging room. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Agreed. I'm a fan of strapping gear down to the bike as opposed to wearing it.

Sorry about the image, it was 103 degrees.

Oh look another "Child of the CORN"

... not sure how to interpret that?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=children%20of%20the%20corn :o

:P
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I had no problem fitting one rig, jumpsuit, helmet, and other accessories in a 50L Givi Maxima although a bit of prudence was needed to avoid accidental wheelies.

Mounting it as a pannier would have worked better.

Backpack style, I would recommend having adjustable shoulder straps.

A duffle back well-secured to the Pillion position via a cargo net is most comfortable when you run out of luggage space.

I often rode 100 miles between Boulder and Brush with a rig or two when I lived in Colorado.

Agreed. I'm a fan of strapping gear down to the bike as opposed to wearing it.

Sorry about the image, it was 103 degrees.

Oh look another "Child of the CORN"

... not sure how to interpret that?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=children%20of%20the%20corn :o

:P

DUUUUUUDE.. I hate that shit I refuse to jump anywhere near that shit because sure as hell some numbnuts with the missing spotting gene could put me over miles of that evil shit.....

I just had a brainstorm.... Big boat with tuna tower.... test subject wearing old cheepo rig on the tuna tower with the boat running at full speed... deployment of cheepo imminent... COOOL VIDEO for U Tube glory... who is up for this debacle to be????

Just went and looked... found this... Like I said.. gotta do this from a tuna tower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDcfdoC86TA

I am using a roll top, watertight 50 L backpack from exped,
adjustable shoulder straps, waist strap.

It fits rig, wingsuit and helmet easily and is still fully behind my back.
If you use a zippered bag, make sure the zippers are secured, depending on speed zippers on a standard gear bag can open up.
Driving 200 miles with that kind of backpack is not a great issue and still a lot of fun.

Think twice before using elastic cargo netting and bungees. Both have come loose and flipped cargo under the rear wheel. It only has to happen once!

There are some very good elastic cargo straps (sounds like a contradiction) that work well and are inexpensive.
Dano

Think twice before using elastic cargo netting and bungees. Both have come loose and flipped cargo under the rear wheel. It only has to happen once!

There are some very good elastic cargo straps (sounds like a contradiction) that work well and are inexpensive.

Bigger problem... Most bikes today do not have good attachment points. Too fricking much plastic. But, again, good solid straps to keep s#!+ secure.

It may be a bit pricey but if you have a bike with,a backrest. their large soft pack works perfect for rig, jumpsuit, helmet.,I think I paid 299 for tge big and small bags. I use the small for everyday riding, the big for overnight and dz stuff..

Not to many sport/sport touring bikes have back rests (or sissy bars as we call them). :P So, you need to be a little more creative. :)
I've seen some very creative stuff at various bike shows. Look around. :)

What about a 40-50l hiking bag? Seems large enough to fit everything and made to fit comfortably on shoulders. Plus they are a lot cheaper than MX gear bags. I've got to find something to fit the rig and the gear inside if that can go on my back.