Trev_S

Transporting rig by bike

Hey guys,

Anyone here transport their rig on their bike? Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

I'm lookin at buying a rig very soon but will need a way to transport it to and from the DZ. I don't own a car, only a bike. If I were to buy a luggage box such as this:

http://shop.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.au/p/576201/givi-e52n-monokey-topbox-black.html

would there be any issues if I were to strap the rig in securely?

Thanks in advance

I think it would be cheaper for you to buy a backpack type bag that your rig and helmet will fit in. Maybe at a local store. Skydive stores online also sell rig bags with double shoulder straps, but you would have to wait for it to ship.
Life is short ... jump often.

Hey guys,

Anyone here transport their rig on their bike? Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

I'm lookin at buying a rig very soon but will need a way to transport it to and from the DZ. I don't own a car, only a bike. If I were to buy a luggage box such as this:

http://shop.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.au/p/576201/givi-e52n-monokey-topbox-black.html

Thanks in advance

You should be good with something like that.. I know guys who haul all their gear to the DZ in a backpack just big enough for the rig and other gear and strap their full face helmet to the bike.

I did it for a couple of years. The biggest problem I found was that the gear bag (which had backpack straps) got heavy on my shoulders. I worked out a couple of ways to do this. Both of them relied on my resting the bag on either the seat behind me or on the gas tank in front of me. When it was resting on the seat behind me I just had the straps loose and long. When it was in front of me I had the straps pretty tight and the pack up against my chest. That seemed to work better and was my usual method. I think it depends a lot on the motorcycle.

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance

if you go the other way those dimensions would fit a J5 Trev by the looks

Yeh, I'll give the gear bag a go first and get the top box if it sucks riding with it on my back for an hr eachway. Probably a good idea to have it in a gear bag in addition to the box anyway.

I've had heavy backpacks on during rides, it is not fun at all. And if you're talking 20-30#... that's gonna get your back and shoulders tired real fast. I would either strap it to the back seat (depending on type of bike) or drop the coin for the top box. I've had them on a few bikes and they are worth their weight in gold!
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

Thus the benefit of having multiple motorcycles!:D. I've carried all of my gear, a pile of wingsuits, and clothes for a month all the way across country on my Harley Road Glide. Three times actually. I would never consider hauling a gear bag on my back on my rigid-frame chopper more than about five miles though.

Yeah, I have a cruiser with a sissy bar, which takes all of the work out of hauling stuff. If I wanted to actually haul more stuff, I'd just add a luggage rack behind the sissy bar.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yeh, I'll give the gear bag a go first and get the top box if it sucks riding with it on my back for an hr eachway. Probably a good idea to have it in a gear bag in addition to the box anyway.

True dat :D

Buy some kind of double-layer, water-proof gear bag, soft suitcase or back pack, slightly bigger than your rig.
Water-proof is very important.
It also helps if the bag is big enough to include all your skydiving gear (harness/container, jumpsuit, helmet, logbook, etc.) to ease organization.
Strap the gear-bag to your rear seat.
Ride to DZ.

Put your personal gear (spare clothes, tooth brush, etc.) in a tank-bag.

I rode my Yamaha 550 - to the DZ - like that for a couple of years.

Make sure that the bag when on your shoulders does not slide about. there's a fair amount of weight in one and whilst cornering, it has the potential to make it a tad more exciting than you might have anticipated.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi Squeak,

it has the potential to make it a tad more exciting than you might have anticipated.

I admit to not being a real experienced 2-wheel rider, but I did start on one in 1954.

About 30 + yrs ago, I learned that it is always best to strap any weight to the bike and not to your body; for this very reason. You and the gear might just depart the bike if it should shift a little too much.

B|

JerryBaumchen

Lots of good advice here, for just a little bit more:

I go to and from the DZ (about a half hour) on a Suz Katana. I have my rig (Infinity with a 170 main and 176 res - not a tiny rig) and all my ancillary stuff in a Square One gearbag/backpack. I lenghten the straps a bit so that the bottom of the bag sits on the passenger seat to take the weight off of my shoulders.
That does make it loose enough that it can shift a bit if I make any sudden moves, but I don't do that unless I have to with that much extra weight on the bike no matter how it's secured.

Nobody has said it directly, so I will:

Make damned sure the rig is in some sort of bag. Waterproof is best, but it needs to be contained. While the chances of an unintentional deployment are small, the consequences are going to be catastrophic. And the protection from all the crap out there is important too.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yeah, I have a cruiser with a sissy bar, which takes all of the work out of hauling stuff. If I wanted to actually haul more stuff, I'd just add a luggage rack behind the sissy bar.

I used to have the same set up. All I needed was one rig, a frap hat and one jumpsuit. Now it's one rig, three different hard helmets and 3-4 different jumpsuits. I think I'd need a trailer these days. :D

Nobody has said it directly, so I will:

Make damned sure the rig is in some sort of bag. Waterproof is best, but it needs to be contained. While the chances of an unintentional deployment are small, the consequences are going to be catastrophic. And the protection from all the crap out there is important too.

haha, there's no way I'd ride without it in a bag lol. Deploying on the highway would not be fun.

highway = freeway for you yanks ;)

[replyAnyone here transport their rig on their bike? Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

every weekend it's warm enough to ride. the rig is in the back t-bag. you just need to find one with a pop top. the rig fits and you dont kill your shoulders/back.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."