superjim

Foul play at Pacific City Beach Boogie 2012??? U decide...

This is a record of what happend to me at the Pacific city beach boogie 2012.... I suspect Fowl play. How about you guys? I would like to hear honest opinions. I kinda feel like I got hosed pretty bad by my Toledo Skydive fam on purpose... :( If you have any questions about this please Call Hythir Whittaker at Skydive Toledo www.skydivetoledo.com

http://youtu.be/t6AwyolES-M

http://youtu.be/61fhNoYrLXQ

You're kidding, right?

You got in the plane with two wingsuiters and another person in a camera suit. What was the plan for the group? It had to be something involving tracking or forward movement of some kind.

Beyond that, you were far from 6 miles from shore, it's clearly visible in the frame at all time and it's no 6 miles off.

If you didn't like the spot, why did you jump? Your own camera shows you looking out the door with the distance to shore clearly in view, yet you left the plane anyway? Who's choice was that?

Who's choice was it to jump over/near water without a PFD? Who's choice was it to jump with two wingsuits while you were in a camera suit?

I'd be surprised if this thread stays in this forum, or anywhere for that matter. If you want be a big boy and jump things like cameras and camera suits, take some personal responsibility for your own actions, and quit blaming everyone else for your poor decision making (and it appears poor tracking skills).

What are you complaining about? They took a spot over the ocean. Nobody made you get out, you didn't ask for a go-around.

I didn't feel like watching the entire video in slow motion either, so I stopped.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

So just becuse I have more than 100 jumps have wings and a camera on my head gives someone the right to hose me like that? Enough with this this is your fault crap... I don't care if you have 10 jumps or 10k jumps we should ALWAYS be trying to make sure people don't end up in the water when we are skydiveing near the ocean. Why did they put a tandem out infront of me and distract me with the camera?

As far as the other person who doesn't want to watch the movie... Like you rather read a 50k word novel... Give me a break quit trolling the thread...

Futher more why out of all people would you award someone accused of fowl play a saftey award after 4 months after they landed in the water and almost killed me? She BEGGED me to get on the airplane...

So just becuse I have more than 100 jumps have wings and a camera on my head gives someone the right to hose me like that? Enough with this this is your fault crap... I don't care if you have 10 jumps or 10k jumps we should ALWAYS be trying to make sure people don't end up in the water when we are skydiveing near the ocean. Why did they put a tandem out infront of me and distract me with the camera?

As far as the other person who doesn't want to watch the movie... Like you rather read a 50k word novel... Give me a break quit trolling the thread...

Futher more why out of all people would you award someone accused of fowl play a saftey award after 4 months after they landed in the water and almost killed me? She BEGGED me to get on the airplane...

Did an employee of the dropzone throw you out of the aircraft? If yes, be angry. If no, you chose poorly.

Did everybody make it back to shore? If I recall correctly, YOU alone are responsible for judging whether the spot is where you are comfortable getting out at. So in effect, you hosed yourself.

I had a jump like that years ago jumping from a Cessna a mile off the coast because the winds were coming ashore. Well I didn't like where I was in freefall and pulled a few thousand feet higher than I normally do and I DID have a PFD as it was a beach load. As it was, I needed every bit of extra altitude I got, because I didn't get feet dry until 150 feet. :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

So just becuse I have more than 100 jumps have wings and a camera on my head gives someone the right to hose me like that? Enough with this this is your fault crap...

You could see your position relative to the shore and you left the aircraft. You were not pushed or thrown, you exited of your own accord.

we should ALWAYS be trying to make sure people don't end up in the water when we are skydiveing near the ocean

Likewise, you should ALWAYS be aware of the spot, and ALWAYS wear a PFD when jumping near the ocean. Did you do either of those?

Why did they put a tandem out infront of me and distract me with the camera?

Did the tandem make it back? Probably because they pulled higher than you did. Why did you freefall aimlessly down to whatever altitude you did when you saw you were over water? Your canopy will glide much further than you in freefall, but you ate altitude by freefalling straight down.

Distracted you with a camera? How? The guy asking you if his Gopro was on? Again, you chose to help him as opposed to making yourself aware of your situation. I routinely 'deny' the high-fives or fist bumps from other jumpers on jumprun because I am busy with my own gear checks, camera, or (ah-ha!) checking the spot.

Regardless, your video clearly shows a view out of the door to include the shoreline after you helped the guy with the Gopro. If your camera saw it, so could you.

I'll be VERY surprised if anyone posts in your favor on this one.

This is a record of what happend to me at the Pacific city beach boogie 2012.... I suspect Fowl play. How about you guys? I would like to hear honest opinions. I kinda feel like I got hosed pretty bad by my Toledo Skydive fam on purpose... :( If you have any questions about this please Call Hythir Whittaker at Skydive Toledo www.skydivetoledo.com

What makes you say the tandem had no AAD?

What makes you think if you had a 'high performance' canopy you wouldn't have made it back?

Why are you whining about getting out with a 'bad spot'? - if YOU didn't like the spot don't exit n00b, pretty simple.

That wasn't 6 miles off shore, not even close...and IF you thought you were too far out why didn't you pull high?
The video shows you checking your altimeter several times waiting for a normal pull altitude...:S

You certainly were not upset when you landed...so at THAT time all was rosy, what happened, the downwinder put some sand in you vagina?

Could be that the fact you have no clue what you're talking about and whine too much is why they asked you to leave...if it were my DZ I would too.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I watched it at high speed...
Summary:
Spot was bad, but not even close to 6 miles. Perhaps 1.5-2 off the DZ.

Dunno about the politics,but the self-described 'fat kid' is obviously off, so for some reason doesn't deploy, and looks at his altimeter several times before finally deploying at normal altitudes, landing on the beach not far from the water's edge.
Based on titles in the video, 'fat boy' knew he was in trouble @8k, but continued to track. Based on titles in the video, apparently 'fat boy' felt he could track more efficiently than the canopy, and perhaps that's why the deployment waited til 3.5k?

Seems that had "fat boy" deployed when he realized he was in trouble, the concern for off-landing would have gone away. Even the best wingsuiter can't approach the glide ratio of a larger canopy.

Deploying high in a bad spot (assuming winds are with you and not against you) allows for greater time under canopy to make decisions about where to land out or mentally prepare for a water landing (in this video, there are a couple of other spots I'd have aimed for, where the beach juts out). Deploying high also allows spotters on the ground to observe and track your line of flight, giving more time for them to begin rescue preparations and/or notify authorities if necessary.

5,000' occurred between the first heads-up about the spot, and when deployment occurred. Seems to me, this is the bigger question, vs "these people conspired to drown me."

FWIW, a dumbass, wingsuit 'instructor' put two brand new wingsuit ladies _in_ the ocean not too long ago. They were half a mile out to sea. I'm pretty sure their situation was worse, but no one is claiming a murder conspiracty.

What happened here is entirely your own fault.

Edited to add a map showing the spot. At no point were you farther than 2m away from the DZ. Not a great spot, but certainly not a "killer conspiracy" spot.

So just because I have more than 100 jumps have wings and a camera on my head gives someone the right to hose me like that? Enough with this this is your fault crap...

It's your own fault sport, own it.

No matter how you slice it up...you're refusing to take responsibility for YOUR actions & ineptitude.

Let me guess...you live at home and mommy still does your laundry and pays your bills?

Harden the fuck up!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You're a new poster on here, I can see that. It's a brutal crowd in here. You've got to have tough skin and be conducive to criticism because we WILL beat this issue to death. ;)

Fact is, YOU signed the waiver. YOU decided to jump anyway even after looking out the door and seeing all that water below. YOU alone are responsible for your own actions ONCE you leave the airplane.

Looking at Pacific City, Oregon on google maps, it looks to me like a PFD SHOULD be worn on ALL jumps, just based on where the airport is. Not only do you have the Pacific Ocean, but also the river that passes between the ocean and the airport.

Basically, you signed the waiver and bitched the DZ for hosing you on the spot. You could have asked the pilot to get closer to shore or stayed on the plane. Now I guess you've burned your bridges with the place. :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was not altitude aware enough... I admit it... Could there have been ways to prevent the skydive from being as hairy as it was sure? But the easiest way is to NOT BE SET UP BY PEOPLE... If I send people to your DZ or influence people to mess with you and you don't act accordingly is it your fault?

If someone is setup to end up in the drink and they make it back how could it be the person who was tricked and not the people doing the tricking?

Part of the problem in this sport is that people blindly follow the crowd or go with the flow, and get into shit they weren't prepared to handle but more experienced jumpers can. I've learned that the hard way a time or two.

I understand I could have pulled high... I am a low time jumper compared to the others that were on that airplane... What I don't get is if someone was TRYING TO TRICK ME how its my fault for getting tricked? Why did the tandem pull at 10k? or where ever he did? Because he was TRYING to hose me... The intent is all over the video... Why don't you post some pictures of Mickey sticking his tounge out? After I got down he kept on snickering at me asking why I don't get back on the airplane...

if I took a jumper with 25 jumps to make a skydive with me and I could trick him into jumping over the ocean and he went in would it be okay?

Well one thing is for sure with people like you in the forum one thing is for sure. They would get away with it! ;)

This is by far one of the dumbest things I have ever seen on this website, and there has been a lot of stupid shit on here.

You got a bad spot, and neither you nor your friends were smart enough to look out the plane and figure it out!

The tandem leaves and you then dick with your friends GoPro for what appears to be a ridiculous amount of time. Perfect commentary for people just slapping GoPro's on their head without have the actual chops to be videographers.

You leave under your own free will, because you don't have the common sense to spot for yourself. You don't have the situational awareness to realize that the spot was bad and you should pull high.

And in spite of your stupidity the spot was good enough to make the beach, and you come up on here with half the beach in your vagina!

This really is fucking stupid, I hope this is a delayed April fools joke?[:/]

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I understand I could have pulled high... I am a low time jumper compared to the others that were on that airplane... What I don't get is if someone was TRYING TO TRICK ME how its my fault for getting tricked? Why did the tandem pull at 10k? or where ever he did? Because he was TRYING to hose me...

No one was trying to trick you. You probably all had a momentary lapse of intelligence on the spot, exit order, etc.

The difference is that your friends recovered from their dose of stupidity long before you did!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Damn dude, you're on to us DZO's.
Last March I tried to set up a bunch of my paying customers in Nicaragua the same way. Except those bastards snuck their PFD's on the plane and saved themselves. And three of the sneaky jumpers made it to shore. Plot foiled...damn!

On a serious note, sell your gear. Really. And it's spelled "towards".

After reading this and the Eddie Bryant Jihad thread, I don't want to hear any fun jumpers ever complain about DZ's being a tandem only operation:P