jtiflyer

What not to do as a DZO.

General reply.

I saw these two posts on LW's FB page.

"Just in from Ohio
CALLING ALL SKYDIVERS: SUPPORT LAKE WALES SKYDIVING!! There have been many recent, incredibly hateful posts to the DZ's page, but I personally know the man who's trying to destroy the dropzone's reputation, so please read on for another perspective that hasn't been spoonfed to you online.

This good-intentioned DZ recently came under harsh scrutiny due to a first-time patron - Eddie Bryant - who disapproved of a small request by the establishment and began a mission to completely defame the facility. What's most disturbing is that he used his military background & Internet influence to turn the incident into headline news, making the DZ appear to be hateful, unsupportive of our troops, disrespectful to our veterans, and anti-American across the board. This could not be further from the truth!!! This is not the first time this man has used his background to make a point, gain attention, or even have a little extra stroke of his enormous ego.

Besides bad-mouthing, dishonoring, or maligning the soldiers/heroes of our country, there is nothing more REPULSIVE than USING YOUR RESPECTED MILITARY STATUS to win a PETTY argument and destroy a reputation for the mere sake of "winning."

I've seen the horribly destructive comments to Lake Wales Skydiving and it breaks my heart b/c the TRUE skydiving community is diverse, open-minded, caring, accepting, and most always exceptionally welcoming & non-confrontational to its new visitors. People, please get your facts straight before posting nasty, hateful comments about a situation that you know only one side to - especially when one of the sides has a much larger online presence than this particular DZ. If you know Eddie Bryant personally, then by all means share your opinion. Otherwise, quit perpetuating the strongly prejudiced viewpoint."

and

"Let me apologize for your run in with eddie bryant. Weve dealt with him in ohio for too long. His ego is unparralleled and he never passes an opportunity to make himself the center of attention. I have no doubt he blew the situation out of proportion. Ill definitely be coming by to jump at your dz! "

Seems to me like this guy is far from innocent.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

He said...

I was called to the back office and asked to cover it up by the OWNER. Not that I would, but its 80 something degrees here today, and that would be an unreasonable request. After I told her that I had no pants to cover it up she told me that she has DUCT TAPE that I can use to cover it. I told the lady that I was not going to cover it up, as it was nothing more than a tattoo saying "I am not a Muslim". After beating around the bush for a few minutes entertaining me while I was trying to convince her otherwise, she asked me to leave.

She said...

I asked Eddie if he had something to wear to cover it up while he was here and he said he did not, I said maybe a piece of tape or a little duct would work. Then he proceeded to say well maybe I will go over to Tampa Bay or somewhere to jump and I said then that was your choice to leave.

Somewhat minor nit here, and obviously I appreciate the he-said-she-said nature of this, but she apparently went from "can you cover it with clothing?" to "can you wrap your leg in duct tape?"

I still think the whole thing is silly but c'mon, the guy isn't a dryer vent. Maybe suggest a sweatband or an ace bandage?

He said...

I was called to the back office and asked to cover it up by the OWNER. Not that I would, but its 80 something degrees here today, and that would be an unreasonable request. After I told her that I had no pants to cover it up she told me that she has DUCT TAPE that I can use to cover it. I told the lady that I was not going to cover it up, as it was nothing more than a tattoo saying "I am not a Muslim". After beating around the bush for a few minutes entertaining me while I was trying to convince her otherwise, she asked me to leave.

She said...

I asked Eddie if he had something to wear to cover it up while he was here and he said he did not, I said maybe a piece of tape or a little duct would work. Then he proceeded to say well maybe I will go over to Tampa Bay or somewhere to jump and I said then that was your choice to leave.

Somewhat minor nit here, and obviously I appreciate the he-said-she-said nature of this, but she apparently went from "can you cover it with clothing?" to "can you wrap your leg in duct tape?"

I still think the whole thing is silly but c'mon, the guy isn't a dryer vent. Maybe suggest a sweatband or an ace bandage?

Knowing Betty, she was probably just spitballing ideas as they came to her. I'm sure if he had said, "What about using an ace bandage?" she would have said that was fine.

Knowing Betty, she was probably just spitballing ideas as they came to her. I'm sure if he had said, "What about using an ace bandage?" she would have said that was fine.

Hey you never know; she's kind of a hardass. Mighta been duct tape or nothing.
Hairy leg? Suck it up!

He said...

She said...

Or a magic marker? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

He said...

She said...

Blow-torch!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Good call. He could write "incidentally" above it and be all set.

/edit: whoops, broke the reply tags

He said...

She said...

Blow-torch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgSBKQueFH4

Devildog,

I appreciate reading this from your perspective but the fact remains that the DZO asked him to cover his tattoo to appease a bunch of Muslims that are visiting the USA. This is just one more instance of Muslims using our f'ing political correctness to make us accept their views and suppress ours. Please explain to me where they have a right not to be offended.
I would bet that the DZO would be willing to accommodate almost any request these Muslims make simply because of the dollars that they bring to the table.
I can absolutely guarantee that I will never waste any of my money at Lake Wales DZ and if the group from Qatar ever sees fit to visit my DZ, I can assure you I won't cover anything pro American or anti Muslim that I might have with or on me. I'll also boycott any load that they are on if they start trying to shove their religion down people's throats.
If they show up and want to jump, and can do so without getting their fragile feeling hurt over other people expressing themselves, cool; let's go jump.
Canopies must all be female. If I treat mine good, she gives me a good ride. If I slap her in the bag, she will dump me like a turd.

Courtesy of PRE7117, love that line.

Devildog,

I appreciate reading this from your perspective but the fact remains that the DZO asked him to cover his tattoo to appease a bunch of Muslims that are visiting the USA. This is just one more instance of Muslims using our f'ing political correctness to make us accept their views and suppress ours. Please explain to me where they have a right not to be offended.

I would bet that the DZO would be willing to accommodate almost any request these Muslims make simply because of the dollars that they bring to the table.

I can absolutely guarantee that I will never waste any of my money at Lake Wales DZ and if the group from Qatar ever sees fit to visit my DZ, I can assure you I won't cover anything pro American or anti Muslim that I might have with or on me. I'll also boycott any load that they are on if they start trying to shove their religion down people's throats.

If they show up and want to jump, and can do so without getting their fragile feeling hurt over other people expressing themselves, cool; let's go jump.

They don't have a right not to be offended. But they certainly have the right to speak their mind by saying, "I find that deeply offensive." This is not about one group forcing others to accept their beliefs anymore than a black guy is forcing others to accept his when he's sitting in a restaurant, sees a white guy with a shirt that says "Eff N*s" and complains to management. And as far as I can tell, the only one with fragile feelings is the guy that didn't try and work something out, talk to the other party, or anything else other than pick up and leave. That's what my 4 year old does when she doesn't get her way. That's not what a grown man does.

Devildog,

They don't have a right not to be offended. But they certainly have the right to speak their mind by saying, "I find that deeply offensive." This is not about one group forcing others to accept their beliefs anymore than a black guy is forcing others to accept his when he's sitting in a restaurant, sees a white guy with a shirt that says "Eff N*s" and complains to management. And as far as I can tell, the only one with fragile feelings is the guy that didn't try and work something out, talk to the other party, or anything else other than pick up and leave. That's what my 4 year old does when she doesn't get her way. That's not what a grown man does.

Well said devildog, I guess this just kind of chaps my backside as one more instance of people coming to this country and demanding that we be tolerant of their views and yet not being tolerant of ours.
The group from Qatar did not have to associate with or be on any load with the gentleman in question if they did not like his tattoo. Nor did they have to continue to look at his calf, if I remember correctly where the tattoo is located.
You seem to know the individual involved in this situation and I will defer to your assessment of his character.
I can only assume with the name devildog that you must have spent some time in the Corps. If so, Thank You for your service.
Where would you draw the line on their request that something be removed or covered? Had the tattoo been symbolic of Christianity ( a cross for example ), or an American Flag, would they have been "reasonable" if they had requested that it be covered to avoid offending them?
Canopies must all be female. If I treat mine good, she gives me a good ride. If I slap her in the bag, she will dump me like a turd.

Well said devildog, I guess this just kind of chaps my backside as one more instance of people coming to this country and demanding that we be tolerant of their views and yet not being tolerant of ours.
The group from Qatar did not have to associate with or be on any load with the gentleman in question if they did not like his tattoo. Nor did they have to continue to look at his calf, if I remember correctly where the tattoo is located.
You seem to know the individual involved in this situation and I will defer to your assessment of his character.
I can only assume with the name devildog that you must have spent some time in the Corps. If so, Thank You for your service.
Where would you draw the line on their request that something be removed or covered? Had the tattoo been symbolic of Christianity ( a cross for example ), or an American Flag, would they have been "reasonable" if they had requested that it be covered to avoid offending them?

I'm one of the last people that will ever like the PC nature the world has fallen for. That being said, I'm also a fan of both sides of an encounter getting to say whatever they want, no matter where they came from. I'm also a fan of private business being allowed to operate more or less as they see fit. I doubt I know anymore about this guy's true character than anyone else. I can only go by what's been said and done.

I did spend a few years in the Corps. 96-99. I had hoped to fly for them, but a broken ankle ended that dream and my service (honorable medical). My service was pretty unremarkable, though I did enjoy it.

You ask where I would draw the line, and this is IMHO, why I think the DZ was in the right to at least try and mediate some sort of peace between the two. The tattoo in question is intentionally a big middle finger to a very large group of people. A cross, US flag, star of David, etc. is not an "Eff you" statement. As such, I don't like the take that tries to portray the LW dz as a place that is intolerant and unpatriotic because they were trying to keep the peace (especially since I know the everyone over there, and they're a great group). Had LW on the other hand told a guy to cover up a t-shirt / tattoo with a flag, star, or cross (something that is not intentionally provocative), I'd not be siding with them at all on their call, but I'd certainly stand up for their right to run their business as they see fit (but I doubt I'd jump there anymore).

Hope that clears up where I'm coming from.

I'm one of the last people that will ever like the PC nature the world has fallen for. That being said, I'm also a fan of both sides of an encounter getting to say whatever they want, no matter where they came from. I'm also a fan of private business being allowed to operate more or less as they see fit. I doubt I know anymore about this guy's true character than anyone else. I can only go by what's been said and done.

I did spend a few years in the Corps. 96-99. I had hoped to fly for them, but a broken ankle ended that dream and my service (honorable medical). My service was pretty unremarkable, though I did enjoy it.

You ask where I would draw the line, and this is IMHO, why I think the DZ was in the right to at least try and mediate some sort of peace between the two. The tattoo in question is intentionally a big middle finger to a very large group of people. A cross, US flag, star of David, etc. is not an "Eff you" statement. As such, I don't like the take that tries to portray the LW dz as a place that is intolerant and unpatriotic because they were trying to keep the peace (especially since I know the everyone over there, and they're a great group). Had LW on the other hand told a guy to cover up a t-shirt / tattoo with a flag, star, or cross (something that is not intentionally provocative), I'd not be siding with them at all on their call, but I'd certainly stand up for their right to run their business as they see fit (but I doubt I'd jump there anymore).

Again, well said. I see your point.

I absolutely love when people can discuss something without it turning into a flame war.

The reality of the situation here: The guy with the tattoo seems to enjoy stirring the pot. And he likes the attention it brings.

So he got the offensive tattoo, which apparently means "One who hides" in Arabic. It's punishable to use that term against Christians and Jews too apparently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infidel#Islamic

Suppose a racial or religious slur were on a T-shirt that someone wore to a restaurant or other business? Most would agree it's the business owner's right to politely request that slur be covered. Same deal here.

Chris

It sounds like the DZO was simply trying to find a way that would work for everybody.

Bullshit. This was pure and simple greed to appease big spenders.

Bullshit back. 51% of us in here don't see it that way. The way we see it, the jumper was deliberately picking a fight, and he got what he sought. See above, as well as the companion thread (threads?) in SC.

This thread is exactly why I don't go to SC

Yes no, yes, no.

Andy tsk tsk, first you pull the -2 card to trump the nice old ladies +1 Iexpect more than that from a mature adult.

Where did you come up the 51% of the peeps agree with you.?

There are at least two type's of wounds that can be experienced in war , the ones that are visable and the ones that are invisable.

PTSD and TBI'S are real injuries even if you can't see them, and based on the vets behavior over the last 4 yrs,posted above. Well folks thats PTSD and TBI.

Get used to it, there are a lot of these type of injured kids walking around and the V.A. is what it is.

Thity miles from our house is Ft Lewis, there's a G.I in the stockade looking at the death penalty, for sneaking out of his base, slaughtering a bunch of afghans then returned to his unit.[:/]

Andy rather than come up with you BS numbers and wise cracks since you have so much time on your hands check out the injured vets charity and follow the money. It might take you 10 minutes.

If he's one of the bad ones that spend 90% of the funds raised on fundraising and executive pay, that's not PTSD that's a rat.>:(

FWIW I would have sent you a PM. But you,ve got that blocked.

Enjoy.

Everyone, this is a general skydiving forum. If you want to talk about the SKYDIVING aspects of this - how DZO's handle conflicts, what problems military customers pose - great. If you want to talk about whether Arabs (or veterans) should be more tolerant, or what they deserve or whatever, do so in SC. Further political/racial opinions will be deleted.

Yeah but in your case it was just a horny DZO! LOL

It's actually funny how wrong you are on so many counts.:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Everyone, this is a general skydiving forum. If you want to talk about the SKYDIVING aspects of this - how DZO's handle conflicts, what problems military customers pose - great. If you want to talk about whether Arabs (or veterans) should be more tolerant, or what they deserve or whatever, do so in SC. Further political/racial opinions will be deleted.

Billy, I get your point, I really do,...

:)
but now haven't you put yourself into exactly the same position that this thread is addressing???

think about it,...

I love you man!
C

It's a bitch growing up in America, your taught about freedom your whole life, we are all taught to trust our policemen and adults, and american pie,...

and then you find out elections go to the candidate with the most money, some cops are crooks and dishonest, freedom isn't politically correct and in fact we can't burn flags anytime we want,...etc, etc,...growing up is a bitch, that dosen't mean we quit! Or stop trying to find a better way, or stop learning, untill you stop us,...that is,....

"My tolerance level for politics that often sour our sport for everyone involved except the few egos who attempt to use it for their own selfish benefit is incredibly low and will always remain so."

Quess who wrote that quote???

But wheere do you draw the line with this one???
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Unbelievable.

My good buddy: William Monk writes "unbelievable."

What is so unbelievable? The fact that from the DZ's perspective they gave immediate service to the customer with the biggist pockets? Isn't this what you expect from a store? Good service? I'm spending money, I want great and immediate service, right? Whats so unbelievable when the paying customer gets what they deserve?
And such speedy seervice too...

"This conversation is about customer experience, nothing else." This is what my buddie William wrote about customer service in another post, and now when one customer recives preferential treatment, he writes "unbelievable."

I couldn't resist,...;)B|:)

Be carefull what you ask for,...

This whole issue sickens me to my core, for soo many reasons, I don't think there is a soulution to this one,...

I keep thinking that President Eisenhower's speeach has something to do with this:

SPEEACH C B|
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."