jtiflyer

What not to do as a DZO.

Hi GG

Since calling someone a cunt appears to be acceptable. Even without knowing the facts as you stated.

GG based on your post your the cunt. :)
I'm :o about what happened at Lake Wales, because some of their cash cows from Quattar bitched. IMO Their both cunts. Our vets come first. What happened to "Thank you for your service"
FWIW this Business is business attitude is the same thing that happened during the Nam.

There was a incident were some wounded VN vets dining in a restaurant that were asked to leave because some of the other customers complained about seeing their injuries, and it was taking away from their dining experience.:o:S>:([:/]

Personally if I was still jumping I wouldnt be jumping at Lake Wales. If they want to play the $$$ card so can the jumpers in the U.S.

Florida is blessed with so many DZs I really don't see any reason to go to Lake Wales.based on this incident.

Don't worry L.W. will still have their tandems and their guests from Qatter will be back :)
R
USAF 66-70

One Jump Wonder

The jumper was not being discriminated against any more than barefoot people are by "No shoes, no shirt, no service" policies. A private business has the right to deny service to anyone, for any reason. Now, if he WORKED at the DZ and was fired because of his religious preference, then there is a case for discrimination.

Actually, in this instance, if he worked at the DZ, along-side another employee who was a Muslim, and the DZ did not require him to cover-up his tattoo, the Muslim employee could bring a discrimination claim against the DZ for creating and/or tolerating a hostile work environment.

OK, pay me.

Unless, of course, the Muslim employee were a combat vet with a Purple Heart and an ARCOM with "V" device himself. Then the only logical course of action would be to post something on his blog.

Our vets come first. What happened to "Thank you for your service" [:/]

Respect is to be earned, not expected.

This vet was out of line and playing the "look what a hero I am" card is just BS.

Good job - you worked for the government. It doesn't earn you a lifetime of being owed shit by anyone any more than any other profession does.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Our vets come first. What happened to "Thank you for your service" [:/]

Respect is to be earned, not expected.

This vet was out of line and playing the "look what a hero I am" card is just BS.

Good job - you worked for the government. It doesn't earn you a lifetime of being owed shit by anyone any more than any other profession does.

I respect those who served in the military overseas and came back as a veteran, but this guy seems to come across a bit self-serving and didn't tell the whole truth in his blog. That said, the Qataris need to be reminded that being in the US is far different than in their home country where there's barely any tolerance for anything. :|

Both acted like asses, IMO.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hi

Me bad:(

After I posted above I checked out the subject dz : on dz.com

News Flash: L.W. is hosting the 2013 Collegiate National's. :)
WEST POINT,

USAF academy

We know the show must go one except for the Blue Angels, and the Thunderbirds. White House tours etc.

This would be a wonderful time for these military schools funded by our tax money to stand down this yr. To show by example that they are willing to miss one year at the collegiate s.to help the country with our economic issues.

The money saved might fund a day/week of tours at the W.H. for the tourists:)
R
USAF 66-70

R

One Jump Wonder

Does anyone know if the Vet actually tried to talk to the group from Qatar about the situation, or did he just leave in a huff and write about it on the internet? Seems to me like a friendly conversation could have helped.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

IMHO, I owe every Vet the benefit of the doubt they are a good person. If they prove otherwise, knowing they are a vet makes me think less of them because they are reflecting poorly on other vets.

I am not a Vet, and I have respect for people who follow through on commitments.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

IMHO, I owe every Vet the benefit of the doubt they are a good person. If they prove otherwise, knowing they are a vet makes me think less of them because they are reflecting poorly on other vets.

I am not a Vet, and I have respect for people who follow through on commitments.

I agree with every word you wrote. Perhaps my original statement was too strong.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Does anyone know if the Vet actually tried to talk to the group from Qatar about the situation, or did he just leave in a huff and write about it on the internet? Seems to me like a friendly conversation could have helped.

Betty posted her side of what happened on FB. I copied and pasted her statement in the SC thread on this issue. It seems that the vet did the latter, not the former.

Based on that, both he and the Qataris in my opinion acted like intolerant kindergartners.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Discrimination is not illegal unless it is done based on a protected class. Tattooed is not a protected class.

Freedom of religion is an internatinally recognized human right. Like I said it contains the right to belong to a religious group, and it contains the right to NOT belong to a religious group. This person expressed his human right for the latter.

IMO it is very much a protected class.

Bwaaaahhhhhhaaahhh, your opinion is not law and is clearly poorly informed based on the content of that post alone.

It's laughable how every one keeps referring to him as "The Vet",His military status has absolutely ZERO bearing on this incident. Wearing a "fuck you" tattoo is the issue. and being a dick when asked to hide it's offensiveness.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's laughable how every one keeps referring to him as "The Vet",His military status has absolutely ZERO bearing on this incident.

"The Vet" was easier to write than "the guy with the tattoo". I didn't know his name.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

It's laughable how every one keeps referring to him as "The Vet",His military status has absolutely ZERO bearing on this incident. Wearing a "fuck you" tattoo is the issue. and being a dick when asked to hide it's offensiveness.

Hi Squeak

I saw the tattoo and wouldnt know what it meant unless someone told me.

IMO the tat is a subtle code to let the other vets know he served over there. The vet has earned that right by doing his job for us, and even worse getting injured in the process. The job has its own hazrds but there, s the collateral damage to his family and loved ones. Who are we to tell the man he has to cover his tats for the people from qatar just because they are spending $$$ and hurts their feeling.

What would a jumper say if the DZO asked everyone on the dz to keep the soles of their shoes pointed away from the foreign jumpers, in the acft, while packing and sitting on a chair, so the dudes from qatar were'nt offended. :S:S

Make way for the TANDEMS, The cry babies from Qatar.

R
One Jump Wonder

Hi Squeak

I saw the tattoo and wouldnt know what it meant unless someone told me.

IMO the tat is a subtle code to let the other vets know he served over there. The vet has earned that right by doing his job for us, and even worse getting injured in the process. The job has its own hazrds but there, s the collateral damage to his family and loved ones. Who are we to tell the man he has to cover his tats for the people from qatar just because they are spending $$$ and hurts their feeling.

What would a jumper say if the DZO asked everyone on the dz to keep the soles of their shoes pointed away from the foreign jumpers, in the acft, while packing and sitting on a chair, so the dudes from qatar were'nt offended. :S:S

Make way for the TANDEMS, The cry babies from Qatar.

R I dont think that the other aspects of Islamic culture are on the same level. The Qataris were not asking anyone to observe their cultural norms. they were asking that an insulting (to them) phrase be addressed.
And lets face it, he didn't get the tattoo to identify himself as a non muslim.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

All those who are defending this person, please take time to read their story :

http://www.adventuresofabrokensoldier.com/my-story.html

familiarize yourself with the person's rich MILITARY / COMBAT history
Look at their debilitating injuries. And take the time to figure out where their income has been coming for the last 2+ years
(yop, there' a chance I may be a bit sarcastic)

then when you have learned the facts, please feel free to revise your opinion.

Oh, and as a bonus, please ask Eddie when he got the controversial tat (hint : it was years after he got out of service)

PS When I hear "disabled combat army vet" I imagine a person missing limbs and digits.

PPS Working as a contractor for a 6 digit salary of your own free will : surprise - you get paid that much cause it's dangerous !

I'm not quite sure what your point is. Can you spell it out in plain english? Just exactly what you think this guy did wrong (before the obviously horrible tattoo incident).

thanks,

fair enough .

The point I am making is :

a) Him being a veteran has zero relevance to the incident at hand. Yet the vet card is pulled right away.

b) He uses a lot of big words to describe what is a not so rich or colorful or long experience. Granted, it's still military experience, but he completely belittles all those who have sacrificed a lot more than him yet don't feel the need to talk about it 24/7.

I have known this person for over 4 years, and their online image is quite different from what they are in reality.

+1

That's still a net -1.

That's mature. :D I do believe a larger number counts as a emotional response. ;) Mine was merely an agreement with the post, because there is no "like" button (in this case Krip's first one). :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

The real solution in my mind is that people start minding their own business and stop looking for things to be offended about - but I realize THAT isn't the American way.

Nailed it!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm not quite sure what your point is. Can you spell it out in plain english? Just exactly what you think this guy did wrong (before the obviously horrible tattoo incident).

thanks,

From the linked page it appears trouble & drama have been a constant part of this young mans life.

I know everyone is different, but we took a young wounded vet on a tandem at an airshow a couple of years ago. Smart, handsome & softspoken this Marine sniper had been back in the US a short time before I met him.

Jon was 21 then and an IED took both legs - all the way up.
It was an absolute honor to meet and jump with that young man, it so seldom we get to know an actual hero in our lifetime.

He isn't a hero to me just because he went to war for my country, he's a hero because he had a lot of other options in life but felt it was his duty. He has no regrets about his decision and has an internal spirit I can only admire with awe.

I've kept in contact with him because...well just because.

He's a man who faces challenges I can fathom yet never mentions hardships of any kind. I can't imagine him asking anyone for anything - and when I congratulated him a couple months back for being on the back cover of SOF magazine, he was genuinely embarrassed about being a 'male model in an advertisement' B|:D (spokesman for a precision rifle manufacturer)

In contrast to the 'disabled vet' who is the subject of this controversy...who's had problems before, while & after the military & seems to be wanting to capitalize on drama beyond it's due...I have to believe the whole thing is much to do about nuthin'!

Of course that's just MY opinion...I know others feel differently, and to those people I offer this link~
https://secure.piryx.com/donate/rYkuiDu4/Adventures-of-A-Broken-Soldier/

Seems he takes donations to help subsidize his 'adventures'.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

IF you were a DZO and several customers were offended by what in essence is a racist tattoo aimed at them...would you request the wearer of that tat cover it up?

But "infidel" is a derogatory expression they use to describe US. Would I have to cover up a tattoo on my calf that called me "Honky"?:S

IF you were a DZO and several customers were offended by what in essence is a racist tattoo aimed at them...would you request the wearer of that tat cover it up?

But "infidel" is a derogatory expression they use to describe US. Would I have to cover up a tattoo on my calf that called me "Honky"?:S

Only in your own yard. [:/]
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I sent an email to the DZO basically saying how they were being painted early on in the thread. Here is her response:

Good Evening Jim,

It gives me a heavy heart to ever think that anyone that knows us would think we would be disrespectful to anyone from any country. This is a neutral place for all walks of the world to come to and enjoy. You may have not heard the complete story.

Yesterday afternoon we had an issue with a tattoo and the Qatar General bought it to our attention and that it was very offensive to him and to the other Qatar’s that were here. So manifest said she would ask Eddie to come talk to me about it. I asked Eddie if he had something to wear to cover it up while he was here and he said he did not, I said maybe a piece of tape or a little duct would work. Then he proceeded to say well maybe I will go over to Tampa Bay or somewhere to jump and I said then that was your choice to leave. He left my office and nothing else was said until we start getting slanderous phone calls and the facebook and social media began. He was never asked to leave. He volunteered to leave on his own. Betty