DougH

Best Canopy Tree Recovery Ever!

I had a chop this weekend and the canopy ended up about 60 feet in a tree that I wasn't excited to climb.

I ended up getting it out of the tree with the help of two of my friends in about an hour, without lifting a foot off the ground.

Was so easy, and fun, that I wanted to share!

We used a 10 dollar wrist slingshot (daisy brand, you'll shoot your eye out) to launch a lead sinker and some 50lb test nylon mono filament over the branches the canopy was stuck on.

Next step was to lower down the sinker and the fishing line, and pull up some heavier nylon braided rope.

Then we just pulled the decent sized branch right out of the tree.

I can think of some areas to improve, but overall I am pretty thrilled.

Areas for improvement:

Launcher: The sling shot worked pretty well, and my friend was much better at it than I was. Part of the original issue is that the "ammo" was lead pyramid sinkers that had balance issues. I cut the sinker down to a square and then we were in business. Even better would be completely round lead sinkers.

I guess a compound bow could work just as well, and have higher range if you needed to. Probably more chances of loosing arrows and lines in the trees.

Starter Line: I think braided fishing line would be easier to work with. 50lb test was pretty difficult to work with as it wasn't supper supple and kept the coil off the spool and tangled some.

I also had climbing rope, harnesses, and belay equipment. If we couldn't pull it down we could have used the same approach to get the climbing rope in to a safe fork in the tree to hoist me up.

Come to think of it you could also hoist up one of those rope saws to take out a bigger limb that couldn't be broken from the tree by pulling.

And now I don't have a 1k+ worth of nylon hanging in a tree! :ph34r::D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

It was an big ass oak tree. So no branches for the first 50 or so feet.

Would have also been easy to climb with proper arborist gear (spikes and climbing belt), but that couldn't be purchased quickly with a trip to Tractor Supply, and Walmart!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

http://www.bishco.com/shop/Bishop/bishop-sales/home/index.html Tools for the tree jobs

What he said! The slick throwline that tree guys use is the stuff. I keep a bunch of it on a spool that I wind up with a cordless drill. Just be careful about letting this stuff unravel into a mess. It's bird's nest city.

http://www.bishco.com/shop/Bishop/en_US/bishop-sales/category/rope/throwline.html?pageView=image&top_category=10503&beginIndex=0

It was an big ass oak tree. So no branches for the first 50 or so feet.

Would have also been easy to climb with proper arborist gear (spikes and climbing belt), but that couldn't be purchased quickly with a trip to Tractor Supply, and Walmart!

PFFT, pussy! I was a tree climber growing up, NO safety equipment. Just like a monkey. To this day I can't believe I made it growing up without busting myself up. :D

I climbed some really tall hardwoods. The scariest one was an oak too. It was loaded up top with mistletoe and I was on a mission to collect as much of that shit as I wanted. No branches within reach from the ground so I threw an inch-thick rope over the lowest branch and with knots already tied in the rope, hoisted myself up on that branch and worked my way up as high as I dared. I don't know how tall the tree was but I definitely was at least 50 feet off the ground. :S

FWIW, I think your method is much better for retrieving canopies than climbing up one because, from the ground you're pulling the canopy away from the center of the tree. The only reason for climbing a tree is to cut the branch off the canopy is hung up on. You're not gonna be able to reel it in towards the trunk without a lot of difficulty. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

http://www.bishco.com/shop/Bishop/bishop-sales/home/index.html Tools for the tree jobs

What he said! The slick throwline that tree guys use is the stuff. I keep a bunch of it on a spool that I wind up with a cordless drill. Just be careful about letting this stuff unravel into a mess. It's bird's nest city.

http://www.bishco.com/shop/Bishop/en_US/bishop-sales/category/rope/throwline.html?pageView=image&top_category=10503&beginIndex=0

That's awesome. I'm gonna have to think about that with the oak tree in my front yard. Its got some dead branches rotting off up high and I need to get them down. Don't want them falling at the wrong time with my girls playing underneath. I'm too old now to be climbing trees. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Awsome job Doug! :)
I just want to add one caution about taking out branches with canopies stuck around them, and that being the branch /s' can now puncture holes in the fabric very easily as the chaos of tree and fabric hit the deck,...
Just my two cents...

And my other comment is can't you guys take a chain saw to some of those trees? :)

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I guess a compound bow could work just as well, and have higher range if you needed to. Probably more chances of loosing arrows and lines in the trees.

I use a cheap crossbow with a fish line feeder...a heavy bolt with a lead weighted badminton birdie on the end.

The weight slows it down so it doesn't get stuck in a cloud & the blunt nose lets it drop back down without fouling...B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Ya'll got nuttin'...

My brother put a hammock into the top of, and between, two very tall (!70-80 ft) Eucalyptus trees in the back yard.

Can't find bro'? Look up.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239