oldfart

HALO for civilians

when did ya do the eloy jump?

DZ.com Holiday boogie!! it rocked!
The S.I.M. says you are supposed to have a B liscence and 100 jumps but nobody asked sooooooo.... good times;)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Look very professional. The view from 30'000 ft must be overwhelming. Should be worth the bucks for a sports jump. A tandem from that altitude, however, must be sort of boring after 90 secs and still some way to go? :P

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

For those farther west, Skydance Skydiving in Davis, CA does them every so often as well. They require FAA medical/chamber training to participate. I believe the price is in about the same range as the ones mentioned above.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

thats what I remember from my time there at SD a long time ago.. thing was, trying to get that physiological training, closest place was out at Beale AFB, and that was not easy to do, even when I was in the military. I think there are more places now, and a lot easier access.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

Effectively immediately, NASA has halted its physiological training program (ie. altitude chamber) in Houston for civilians :(. A wonderful (and did I say FREE?) program went dead in the water.

Alas, the last free program left in the entire United States, is with the FAA in Oklahoma City. (It's a great program too).

cheers

Teaches you about the physiological hazards associated with flight. Oxygen usage, hypoxia, decompression sickness and a multitude of other subjects are covered. Even a jump from as low as 14K takes a significant toll on the human body.

But, like I said, the only location now in the country that offers this training free is with the FAA in Oke City. There are other altitude chamber facilities around the U.S., but prices are upward of $1K for a days training.

Here's the FAA site: http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/aerospace_physiology/

I've got a scanned copy of the class notes from a civilian-day training session at Andrews AFB. It's 77 pages and 7.5MB though.

If someone would like to host a copy, I can upload/send it to share with others.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Good while it lasted; did mine in 2004.
A full day of training for $75 subsidised by Uncle Sam.

Comparing notes at breaks, much of the class were private jet pilots, a few guys from Pratt & Whitney that needed to go up on a test bed plane and a mix of commercial aviation types.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Effectively immediately, NASA has halted its physiological training program (ie. altitude chamber) in Houston for civilians :(. A wonderful (and did I say FREE?) program went dead in the water.

Alas, the last free program left in the entire United States, is with the FAA in Oklahoma City. (It's a great program too).

cheers

------------------------------

Like to add, we WILL resume training in Houston shortly. Probably stand the program back up within the next three months. So, if you are in Houston or will be passing through and have a valid FAA Class III medical or better, you can go through the training. Cheers..... Buck

cheers

Like to add, we WILL resume training in Houston shortly. Probably stand the program back up within the next three months. So, if you are in Houston or will be passing through and have a valid FAA Class III medical or better, you can go through the training. Cheers..... Buck

Please post when its up and running again.

cheers

Please post when its up and running again.

Will do. No problemo.