snugfit

Balloon rappel- tenth anniversary

that was painful on my eyes. I struggle to believe it was 10 years ago too - looks like it was filmed in the 1960s :P

all sarcasm aside, looks like fun - although I'd rather have the rig on first, then simply abseil off the end of the rope! there'd be that "oh shit" moment that you never want to experience as a climber :)

Did something similar about 15 years ago; rappelled off someone with a student rig on. He opened, I rappelled off him, got about 100 feet away, then he started spiraling. Eventually I dropped off the end. Interesting experience, especially since rappelling off the end of a rope has been one of my biggest fears as a climber.

I think the original video is better....I downloaded this in low res from Facebook. (The original is on a VCR tape LOL. I can't even watch it because there aren't any more VCRs)

That rig rappel sounds scary. I'd be paranoid about the initial opening...

Custom T-Shirts and Pullup cords

Did something similar about 15 years ago; rappelled off someone with a student rig on. He opened, I rappelled off him, got about 100 feet away, then he started spiraling. Eventually I dropped off the end. Interesting experience, especially since rappelling off the end of a rope has been one of my biggest fears as a climber.

That sounds scary/interesting. De he start out slowly enough to sling you out or did it get into the "twirl the rope into spirals with you at the bottom, or other?" What happened when you let go (to him and the rope)?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

> De he start out slowly enough to sling you out or did it get into the "twirl the rope into
>spirals with you at the bottom, or other?"

He went slowly. I was swinging in a pretty big circle. We were going to try again with a faster canopy but never got around to it.

>What happened when you let go (to him and the rope)?

Went flying off and took a long time to get stable. (Dropped me at 5000 feet.) It was probably due to my being disoriented, rather than it actually being hard to get stable. He said it didn't feel much different, other than the canopy slowed down a lot.