TikiMan

"Rum Cay Pirates Boogie" in the Bahamas. Plausable or pipe dream?

Hey Guys,
My current business allows me to be well connected in the Bahamas with a little island called “Rum Cay.” The owner of the island and only resort on the island has given me the go ahead to find out info regarding organizing a boogie there. New to the sport but not new to organizing events my wheels have started turning.
Here’s what I have access to:
•Our local DZ brings in 2 twin otters after November so I can rent the Caravan to bring luggage, surfboards, beer, food…whatever.
•We can accommodate about 50 guests at the resort and more if we rented a few houses.
•My friend’s brother owns a small chopper that can take 6 ppl. He also lives on the neighboring island and is willing to come over for the week.
•Landing area is a grassy field about twice the size of my local DZ’s
•Beach landings are on beaches that are about 50feet wide.
•We already operate an extreme water sports resort including kitesurfing, surfing, Standup paddling, free diving, spearfishing, kayaking, fishing, and anything else you can think of doing on the water so there are many other things to do while not jumping.
•We have transportation around the island including ATV’s, Party boat, and jet skis.
•Small island only about 100 ppl live there year round.
•Island has very little air traffic being situated on the outermost islands of the Caribbean.
•Best part we just started selling fuel on the island.
Here are my questions:
•What insurance do I need if any? Or just a good lawyer and waiver?
•Who do I need to clear this with? FAA? CAA? Nobody?
•What license should we require jumpers to have?
•Any other foreseeable hurdles you can think of?
Here are a few links from our last surf/kite/dive trip:http://www.flickr.com/photos/47921455@N05
Video from another trip we did:http://www.costachannelc.com/videos/Costa_TV/Jose_Wejebe/Season_2_Episode_3_The_Road_Less_Traveled_Rum_Cay_Work_Play/
http://www.rumcaymarina.com/

Thanks for all of your feedback! If we can manage I look foward to getting a few of you guys down.

Sounds like fun...until you get to the business end of things. I hope you're making some money off this, because the hours of behind the scenes planning will astound you.

I'm certain CSpence can give you an idea...if he doesn't steal this one...lol.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

LOL. Thanks,

There are alterior motives behind this as well. We plan on using the footage and stills as apart of a marketing campaign for the island to help generate other business and excitment. If it works i would bring in som TI's to do some tandems when we have regular groups that aren't skydivers. 1st trip I want to keep small and use it as a scouting vacation 2nd trip next year who know's.

The Bahamian government is who woiuld give approval. The FAA doesn't have any authority there.

They have a reputation for being somewhat corrupt. There may be "special" fees to get approval.

As was already mentioned, CSpenceFly has a lot of experience putting on boogies at non-DZ places. PM him for what's involved. There's a ton of details involved.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

As was already mentioned, CSpenceFly has a lot of experience putting on boogies at non-DZ places. PM him for what's involved. There's a ton of details involved.

Spence will be a good source of advice, as will Rich Grimm (user name grimmie) who has 6 years experience putting on the Boogie in Belize.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

They have a reputation for being somewhat corrupt. There may be "special" fees to get approval.

Understated well...shot a docco re; WWII there not too long ago. Lots of "special fees" involved. For everyone. Amazing how Uncle Tito wants to shake hands with Uncle Sam.
If you can manage the organizing and really have two Otters there, I'd be there in a flash. It's an awesome place with some terrific history, shorelines, and landscape.
Landings near Cotton Point? On the beach?

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Tikiman, trying to talk him out of it, but he just wouldn't listen.:P;)

He's on the right track and has the right ideas, he just needed a little more info.

I wish him good luck, it will be a cool boogie if he gets it going.

He has great government and business contacts there which will make it much easier to get approval.

If you guys are planning to bring in Whuffo's, Let me know either via PM or post it here in the thread if you are able to get this boogie together so I can re-word the sLyride consumer alert to accommodate you guys. www.1800skyrideripoff.com/bahamas

We absolutely DO NOT want to direct anyone away from a real DZ.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Thanks Guys! And Thanks Grimmie!
Grimmie gave me a few words of advice that helped me see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am meeting with the Bahamian tourism association on thursday and at this point it looks like it will be approved. We will hold a small event December 7-14 of about 30 ppl since I'm new at this i dont want to get overwhelmed to quickly and want to make sure all of the unforeseeable obstacles can be hammered out.

Question for everybody here:
If we can do a 7 day trip all inclusive for $1500 includes room, all alcohol, food and 5 jump tickets. airfare and extra jump tix bought seperatley would you go? this will also include eco trips i.e.: diving, surfing, paddleboarding, spearfishing etc...

Any and all feedback welcome at this point.

3 questions:

Any discount for no alcohol? (Some of us don't drink)

How much are jump tix after the first five are gone?

Are the outside trips included in the price or are they extra? (and if they are included, are there discounts for nothing extra?)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Very good questions... all of the trips will be scheduled daily, and are included. If you choose to participate GREAT! if not you can enjoy the many beaches and take the Atv's and explore the island. All meals and Beverages are included both non-alchoholic and the good stuff. I have to keep it consistant across the board. sorry.

I have to first confirm what plane we will be using before I can offer an exact $ for extra jump tix. My target is to keep them around $40-$60.

I want to remind anybody checking out this thread that this is an exploratory attempt to see what works and does'nt work for a Boogie. Though it seems probabable that this is going to happen there is a chance it is just me chasing my tail. Goal is to get feedback from jumpers like yourself to help me design this thing.

Keep the questions, comments and ideas coming evrything helps!

Thanks.

If you guys are planning to bring in Whuffo's, Let me know either via PM or post it here in the thread if you are able to get this boogie together so I can re-word the sLyride consumer alert to accommodate you guys. www.1800skyrideripoff.com/bahamas

We absolutely DO NOT want to direct anyone away from a real DZ.

Will Do. Thanks

My target is to keep them around $40-$60.

I was about to comment that you will lose money at $1500 for the week and your customers are all or mostly skydivers - but the $40 to $60 jumps will make up for it - as long as the price of fuel isn't too outrageous.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

He has great government and business contacts there which will make it much easier to get approval.

My read on that is that he knows who to take care of to keep administrative things moving at something more than the typical Bahamian pace.

Sounds like an absolute gas. Good luck in making it happen.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Be aware that in places where it takes money to grease the wheels to make things go your way, that rarely ends. They will fleece you and your customers to the end. Talk to the people that went to Vietnam for that boogie. Not trying to talk you out of it,just might be an issue. Oh, you are insane if you bring in two Otters for a first time event.

Be aware that in places where it takes money to grease the wheels to make things go your way, that rarely ends. They will fleece you and your customers to the end. Talk to the people that went to Vietnam for that boogie. Not trying to talk you out of it,just might be an issue. Oh, you are insane if you bring in two Otters for a first time event.

Having run a Resort there for some time we know all too well about the Greasing...

Re: the Twin otters I think the way i worded it is misleading.

My DZ usually runs with one Caravan. When they bring in the 2 Twin otters for the winter the Caravan is up for grabs.

Twin otters stay at the DZ.
Caravan (if all works) will be our jump plane.

The all inclusive booze will derail him faster than the Bahamian Government!;)

Guys, trust me, Tikiman is on the right path to a great boogie. He has all of the angles sorted, is well connected on the island and has a jump ship close by to lease.

I won't be at the first boogie, but plan on attending the next one.B|

Good luck Tiki.

The all inclusive booze will derail him faster than the Bahamian Government!;)

Guys, trust me, Tikiman is on the right path to a great boogie. He has all of the angles sorted, is well connected on the island and has a jump ship close by to lease.

I won't be at the first boogie, but plan on attending the next one.B|

Good luck Tiki.

Thanks for the well wishes,

Just a few more numbers to crunch and we should be a go!

Will update with more solid info once I get the media kit together.

Thank you everybody for your input. All of you have helped to create this.

Warm Winds, Blue Skies...

We might have to make a special "Dirty Wench package" for all the Pirate hookers...;)

I'd be all over it if the dates were after December. I'm already committed to a lot in the month of December with work and family. If it were in January or February I'd be a definite!
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406