wwpops

Can anyone recommend a good AFF school in UK?

Hi there. I'm currently considering taking a 6 day AFF course with one of the UK-based skydiving schools. The course is held in Spain (main attraction), due to the more predictable weather conditions. Given that there are many UK operators that offer these courses (at roughly similar prices), and considering that there have been a couple of accidents in recent years in Spain that have been linked to UK operators, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a UK AFF school based on experience or some knowledge of the long-term safety record?

Any advise would be much appreciated!

Thanks

The full list of UK dropzones are published here:
http://www.bpa.org.uk/where-can-i-jump/

If you're keen on doing AFF then you have to leave Scotland, and your realistic options are:
* Cark
* Black Knights
* Peterlee

I'd say from Edinburgh Peterlee is probably the quickest drive as its the closest.

Each of these will be ran under the same BPA AFF Syllabus but having never been a student at any of these DZ's I cant really pick them apart.

I've never taken instruction in the UK but Black Knights is an excellent DZ... That's about as far north as I get but can definitely recommend it as a DZ.

Skydive Spain is absolutely fantastic.... Brilliant coaches, excellent Planes, and the weather should see you complete AFF in a few days...

Since the original question was about UK schools who do courses in Spain, I can recommend without reservation:

- Active Skydiving (also do trips to the US)
- Skydive Spain (they are UK owned and share planes/occasionally instructors/etc with Hibaldstow, which is the biggest DZ in the country).

Others may be very good too, but those two I have actually seen in action.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

considering that there have been a couple of accidents in recent years in Spain that have been linked to UK operators, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a UK AFF school based on experience or some knowledge of the long-term safety record?

I think it's worth pointing out that the rate of fatalities (and even of serious accidents) in skydiving is actually very low - so statistically it's difficult to rate one school over another in those terms. A couple of accidents will very quickly skew the curve, and those can happen at any school. There's also the 'shit happens' factor - students can often break themselves regardless of how well they'e been taught or looked after by their instructors.

Bottom line is, I doubt any of the UK-based AFF schools could be called 'unsafe'.

I would highly recommend Scotty Milne he is a well respected AFF instructor who runs his own school and does courses wherever the Customer wishes. he regularly travels abroad for the sun and reliable weather :)
This is his Website http://www.activeskydiving.co.uk/

He is also on facebook if you look for him and would more than be able to give you advice.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun