Oyinko

Skydiving kills only twice as many people in Sweden as does Ping-Pong in Germany

According to an article, Skydiving kills only twice as many people in Sweden as does Ping-Pong in Germany. Do you know where they found this statistic? And how people could die while playing at Ping-Pong.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/05/felix-baumgartner-jump-story

Yeah but skydiving WHILE playing ping pong is off the charts! :o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

According to an article, Skydiving kills only twice as many people in Sweden as does Ping-Pong in Germany. Do you know where they found this statistic? And how people could die while playing at Ping-Pong.

Obviously you haven't meet Xio Zhou Zap...China's premier ping pong player..he has the looks of a killer.
http://shawnsaleme.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/wanghao3.jpg

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/risk/sports.html

See if that link works, keep in mind statisticks don't really work when comparing apples and qumquats. neither does much of this supposed research. there is a huge difference between peer reviewed experimental research and sombody on the phone calling others up and tabulating what some one says! And or anothers idea of research being filling out a form that gets stuck in a limited population 's face.

Think of much of this research as being akin to asking a room full of wuffo's their opinion about skydiving, and you can start to appreciate the error. Neverless this supposed research then shows up on your nightly news and the public then accepts it as fact!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Yeah but skydiving WHILE playing ping pong is off the charts! :o

hahaha. loved this post.

Sad thing is, this is actually a pretty great article on the Red Bull Stratos project, with more behind-the-scenes details than I've seen in any other accounts so far... and it's buried under an odd headline (though true, the stat is referenced in the article).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Sad thing is, this is actually a pretty great article on the Red Bull Stratos project, with more behind-the-scenes details than I've seen in any other accounts so far... and it's buried under an odd headline (though true, the stat is referenced in the article).

As Krisanne points out this is a great article, but my point is that the alleged research and many points in the same article are a little dramatic.

Mypoint is that what passes for research, isn't research, other than opinion's supported by asking people what they think! This is not research. In fact many activities humans undertake have an insanly ironic death rate, I think Polo, or swimming, or tennis, etc,...BUT these activities don't make worldwide headlines either!

Consideering the amount of skydiving that takes place compared to all of the many activities humans do, skydiving is all in all very safe, (not for the unlucky 50 or so that get wacked.)

But that dosent mean we let up on safety, there are so many of us that want to drill and drill safety, perhaps because we are still here and yet we all know someone close that we have seen burn in???

I don't know,...I just want to go to bed at night and never see again what I have seen in the past....

It's Vanity Fair. I have low expectations for their scientific credibility. :D:D It reads like most VF articles - gossipy and drama-filled. Which is what makes it fun.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks for using the word "fun."

I've been to many safety days in the last 2 months,...traveling around,...>:(

Not a word I have been using recently, THANKS FOR THE REMINDER: FUN! :)
C