theforkguy

Reckless TM

I've known and jumped with the TM since he was in AFF. If I were to choose someone to take my mom or sister skydiving he'd be at the top of the list. He's one of the most humble people I know. He loves his job as a TM and has dedicated his life to it. Over the years I've watched him grow personally and professionally. He takes the responsibility of making someone's first skydive a safe and fun experience very seriously.

As a new TM I know the feeling of wanting to hold on to your passenger (male or female) during the deployment. Because the risers are attached to your harness above the passenger there is a forceful feeling of them falling away from you as the risers pull you in the opposite direction. It's illogical to think that the harness won't hold them and that your arms will but there is still a subconscious reaction of wanting to prevent them from falling away from you and it sometimes takes a conscious effort to stop yourself from grabbing them. The major safety concern and the reason it is so important not to reach in front of the student is that it puts your arms in a position that they can be trapped by the student. The reaction to hold the passenger though is instinctual and has absolutely nothing to do with copping a feel whether the passenger is male or female.

The OP's girlfriend's sister loved the experience of her first skydive. Her sister's public Facebook post dated 9/14/13 reads: "My father, my sister, and I went skydiving today! It was my third time, their first, and we all had an absolutely excellent time, so thank you [OP], [TM], [other TMs & videographers]! :-)"

I've worked for Skydive Delmarva for 9 years now and the TM is a close friend of mine but I'm not just sticking up for my home dropzone or my buddy. I'll stake my personal reputation on saying that this TM is safe to jump with and that the issue of reaching in front of male and female students during deployment has been addressed and corrected.

-Gregor Weeks

The reason Z-Hills came up is because the conversation had turned to the theory that some people get punished for the same behaviors that others get away with. "It's not what you know, it's who you know."
To me, it looks like a speed-inducing turn makes those canopies flare better and that the TMs who utilize those turns seem to be able to land them quite safely that way. In truth, I've seen a lot messier landings when a speed-inducing turn was not involved. Hooking the SET (by a pro) seems to be a much safer alternative to following the regulations. IMHO.
But that's not the issue. Again, the reason I brought that up is because I was trying to offer evidence showing that one guy can get punished for doing something while everyone around him is openly getting away with the same thing.
---------------
The issue of the TM wrapping his passengers has been addressed, according to the DZ. Why did it take the involvement of both the USPA and Strong to make it happen at the beginning of the TMs third year instead of being addressed and rectified when it was first noticed in 2012? Or when I talked to him about it in 2013?
I had the same problem of letting my hand get trapped under my tandem students arm during my training jumps. By the time I had done my first paid customer it was all taken care of.
Again, the passenger did not notice where the TM put his hand until the DZ manager called and pointed it out to her.

he only has issues with Z-Hills because after seeing all this shit out there and the whining, I informed him just the other day that he was no longer welcome here.

He never did any huge number of jumps here recently to be concerned of.....and it will not significantly hurt my business to see him go. I got all the information I needed from reliable sources that I trust to figure out that he is a disgruntled fired person and is looking now to burn it all down behind him. Do not need that stuff overlapping to my business. leave our battles somewhere else....Z-Hills is supposed to be a fun place.

And given that he knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about any particular incidents at Z-Hills, firings, accidents or otherwise, I am surprised that he feels so confident to be able to comment on it with such accuracy. If he was actually involved with the investigation, or evidence collection or reporting, then maybe. Otherwise, anything that he (or anyone else outside) claims to 'know', is simply hearsay.

chuckakers

This sport is loaded with big egos and when they get stepped on things get rough.

Pot, meet kettle.

Wow, JP. I've always had more respect for you than that. Coming from you I take that as an unnecessary insult and don't feel it was deserved.

Oh well.

Then think before you yell at me at the top of your voice that I don't know what I'm talking about as an instructor in front of staff and customers, when maybe, just maybe your experience wad a bit more dated than mine.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

diablopilot

This sport is loaded with big egos and when they get stepped on things get rough.

Pot, meet kettle.

Wow, JP. I've always had more respect for you than that. Coming from you I take that as an unnecessary insult and don't feel it was deserved.

Oh well.

Then think before you yell at me at the top of your voice that I don't know what I'm talking about as an instructor in front of staff and customers, when maybe, just maybe your experience wad a bit more dated than mine.

Perfect. You've succeeded in demonstrating my point quite clearly.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

You've succeeded in demonstrating my point quite clearly.

"...yell at me [JP] at the top of your voice that I don't know what I'm talking about as an instructor in front of staff and customers..."

It is not clear to me at all. Chuck, did you really do that? If not, why would he say that you did? I have never known JP to BS.

peek

***You've succeeded in demonstrating my point quite clearly.

"...yell at me [JP] at the top of your voice that I don't know what I'm talking about as an instructor in front of staff and customers..."

It is not clear to me at all. Chuck, did you really do that? If not, why would he say that you did? I have never known JP to BS.

I didn't say he was BS'ing. I said he demonstrated (in his post) my point about egos.

This is a serious thread hijack, too.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

******You've succeeded in demonstrating my point quite clearly.

I didn't say he was BS'ing.

So you did do this then? "...yell at me [JP] at the top of your voice that I don't know what I'm talking about as an instructor in front of staff and customers..."

This is a serious thread hijack, too.

I'll take that under advisement.

chuckakers

Pot, meet kettle.

Oh well.

:D
*breaks out the popcorn*
Holy cow some of you old timers love your drama.

Doug_Davis

Pot, meet kettle.

Oh well.

:D
*breaks out the popcorn*
Holy cow some of you old timers love your drama.

I see you haven't posted in a while :)

And given that he knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about any particular incidents at Z-Hills, firings, accidents or otherwise, I am surprised that he feels so confident to be able to comment on it with such accuracy. If he was actually involved with the investigation, or evidence collection or reporting, then maybe. Otherwise, anything that he (or anyone else outside) claims to 'know', is simply hearsay.

I was told of the events in person by a rather dapper gentleman that you and I both know. He was having a very good mustache day. Also, it is funny that the day before you told me not to come back I had already posted publicly on FB that I was not returning to Z-Hills. If you believe that your messages to me had anything at all to do with my statements on here you are sorely mistaken.

Recommend you post pictures of the dapper gentleman... cuz you know... you've posted pics of everyone else as "evidence" in your thread...

Also I demand screenshots of the FB post.

I demand proof that you posted this prior to being told to go away. Recommend you post any private messages, recordings of phone calls or conversations, etc.

Also, if you have any evidence of more shooters on the grassy knoll, I demand you post that as well.

Back... and to the left.

What...
theforkguy

[...] I was told of the events in person by a rather dapper gentleman that you and I both know. ...

tkhayes

... is simply hearsay.

I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Weekend Kyle,

As a Delmarva fun jumper that never really had an issue with you, or your silly beef with the TM in question, I feel like I now need to share my side of the story so that the folks kicked back with some popcorn can keep help everything in perspective.

I've been a regular at Delmarva well before your short tenure and of course I know the TM in question well. We went through AFF together in 2008, and over the years have done hundreds of jumps together, we've formed a bond that almost all skydivers can easily relate to. Every skydiver, except you.

When you showed up in the spring of 2012, I thought the fact that Dave went out on a limb and invited you to come to our DZ, to learn how to fly video, a testament to his character and very reflective of the overall attitude/vibe here at our DZ, one of open arms. The fact that you've taken your petty beef with said TM this public solidifies what I already knew about you. You're an internet coward.

At the DZ, when you weren't shoot sub-par tandem videos, you'd sit in your room, chain smoke cigarettes playing internet tough guy (shocker), trolling internet radio shows, and your pleasure could hardly be contained. To be honest, it was sad. I realize now that this is what you do, it's almost a second profession. While others are out enjoying and living their lives, you sit at your computer and find ways to destroy others. You've had years of practice, haven't you?

Seeing the TM in question receive nothing but love and respect from his customers, fellow TM's, DZO and DZM day after day for what ended up being your short tenure here, made you a bitter person and your resentment soon become obvious to all the regular jumpers and instructors.

By bringing your childish, ungrateful, uneducated, and pathetic attempts of slander to Skydive Delmarva, Z-Hills, the USPA, Strong, and most importantly to my family and friends, you've outed yourself as one of the biggest douche bags that has ever donned a rig and called yourself a jumper.

I take quite a bit of joy in knowing that you'll never work in this industry again. You won't get said TM's rating pulled. You won't negatively effect operations at any DZ, ever. Instead you're blackballed, you've outed yourself, and you'll fade away into obscurity, just a distant memory of a tool that was.

To those that quickly saw this situation for what it was, and called a spade a spade, you've proven once again this is the last forum you come to and try to bullshit people. Deuces.

-Matt Juliano
ZC OG

I'm only a beginner skydiver and I've been watching this thread.

While explanations have been given about the 'boob grab' and the drogue pitches, I haven't actually seen anyone discuss the sit-flying on a passenger.

All the drama aside, I'm legitimately curious about that action, is it legal and/or safe?