theforkguy

Reckless TM

What do you think about his expressing the same argument (and presumably presenting the same evidence) to the DZO, the rig manufacturer, and especially USPA with all three turning his complaint away as unfounded?

It's not what you know, it's who you know. I suspect that's a relevant quote in this sport.

theforkguy

What do you think about his expressing the same argument (and presumably presenting the same evidence) to the DZO, the rig manufacturer, and especially USPA with all three turning his complaint away as unfounded?

It's not what you know, it's who you know. I suspect that's a relevant quote in this sport.

That statement shows your ignorance, your arrogance, or both.

I've been doing this stuff for 3 decades at all levels of the sport and the business and have never seen a pattern of people or companies choosing favorites over safety. In fact I have seen quite the opposite. In case after case I have seen ratings pulled, memberships revoked (individual and group), jumpers kicked off DZ's, etc. because of safety issues.

I'm sure there have been exceptions on a local, personal level but if you think Strong and USPA sided with the TI in this case by playing favorites or siding with a buddy over taking action based on a safety issue you are further out in space than I thought.

Your statement is patently incorrect.

By the way, I'm still waiting for the video you said you would post proving the photos you provided previously were something more than a few bad drogue throws.

Put up or go away. You're way past looking like an ass on this.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

It takes a minute or two to put together two years worth of sketchy drogue throws. It's uploading right now and will be with you momentarily.
Anyone been to Z-Hills? I watched TMs hook it in (Isn't the rule that you should never be making a big turn under 100 feet?) at that DZ for a long time, standing by the fence and hearing gasps from experienced jumpers for years now, only to see them dig it out and land safely.
One of their TMs lost his rating (or at the very least had it suspended) while most of the others kept right on hooking it in. Why did he lose his rating but the rest keep on doing the very same thing? If you can answer that to my satisfaction I will be impressed.
I stand by my previous statement. If you're in good with 'the man' you can get someone out of the sport. If you don't (but the offender does) then you're out.

Dude...

Criticizing a DZM is one thing... but posting a pic of him just makes you seem incredibly douchey.

I have no dog in this fight, seen good and bad DZOs and DZMs... but the way you go about this REALLY makes you look childish.

How do you prove things? I figured (douchily, I guess) that photographing evidence was the way to go.
Before I put up the link, here's my disclaimer:
1. If I am a sucky video guy and the type of 'talent' they recruit, what does that say about them? I would say that maybe a 'good' or 'less than sub-standard' video flyer is the best they can get to work there.
2. Regarding the video, if you can't see it in the throw, see it in the 'twang.' I'm a sucky video guy. See #1.
3. A lot of you will wonder "Why does he exit with his arms in a track?" Some of those will wonder "Why didn't he figure it out and fix it?" I leave the questions to you.
4. I started with a spin and a hip ping-pong. It would have taken forever to look through and find all of them. Those aren't the point, I know.
5. These are in chronological order.
6. Some don't look so bad. I ask, "Does this TM demonstrate a thorough understanding of the relative wind?" You might say "Do you?" Wahh, I'm a sucky video guy. Not the point. Also, someone stated earlier that most people with feeble evidence (which this might be) quit after a day or two. I almost did. Then I realized, "F---, dude. I went to catholic school for 5 years. I can take all of the verbal they can dish out. Also, do you know why I didn't get abused when I attended Catholic school for 5 years? That's right, because I have a big mouth and was slated "most likely to report abuse." The quiet kids got abused and the abusers got transferred. That's a lesson I learned back in the eighties.
7. When I come back with facts, people don't seem to question them. My reply to the issues about my original complaint, my questions about what you would do if confronted with a huge safety risk that didn't get addressed when reported by several jumpers.... Where's your comeback?
8. I already lost skydiving. Why? Because I wouldn't shut up about actual safety concerns. Do you want to see the response I got? The official "You're fired" letter? Do you want to see the response I got from the TM when I brought it to his attention over Facebook messaging? Do you think firing the guy with a big mouth (taking away his reasons for being somewhat quiet) are a good way to shut him up? I feel like that's a good way to make him scream louder.
9. I didn't bother to add effects or slow-motion any of the clips. I assume you can do that on your own, if you're interested.
Here you go, kids. Here's the video, the music is by a band called "Death." I'll attempt to make it clickable, but just in case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_fWzikD1yo
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_fWzikD1yo

I apologize for my lack of clarity. Although I believe that this TM has made friends with some of the more powerful members of the administration I meant to imply that the DZ has made more. It is my belief that they're more powerful than one (or two) complaints made against them.

When I get 'dissed' I come back. You come back to the comeback by walking away. You accused me (or someone did) of filing the report as if I was a tandem student. I came back with my original e-mails to the USPA and (not Ted) Strong. Then you switched topics. And ran away.
You don't like the drogue throws? Great. Did I capture any of the other complaints on video (other than the grabs)? No. It's tough to measure someone's BAC off of a video. I never got video of the seat-belts being put on improperly or the leg straps being put on dead last. I did, however, offer up pictures of his hand in a bad place and improper harness adjustment, contained in the same pictures.
You've thrown a lot of punches and I've kept standing up. Either I'm a monumental a-hole (a fair assumption) or I believe through 2 seasons of personal experience that this is a person who might not be responsible enough to put another innocent life in his hands. Maybe both. Either way, I'm not running away after not clearing up/backing up my arguments.

Surely he's worked other places.
How'd those work out?

Sorry for the late reply.
No, he has never worked at another DZ as far as I know. He may have thrown a few drogues at Lake Wales over the winter, but before that his skydiving experience was limited to a few tandems in Ocean City before finally being ready for AFF in Delmarva.
Then he went from having his "A" to having his "D," a coach rating and tandem rating in a week at Z-Hills. (Oh, and one night jump out of the required two, but after biffing in on the runway on the first one someone signed him off on both.) He did his phase 1 tandems in Z-Hills, his phase 2 tandems at Delmarva (the last of which I watched him hook it and dig out just in time to not kill himself and the experienced passenger) and was handed his first paying customer. That was in 2012.

I stopped watching about 1:30 in, expecting to see massive carnage. Seen better, seen a LOT worse. I did see YOU hit or almost hit the tandem though.

You're pissing in the wind dude, did this guy steal a girl from you or something dude?

:)ONLY got 35 seconds of freefall.....:o:S;)

sometimes "safety violations are in the EYE of the beholder ". And what One person sees as an issue.....may NOT be the interpretation, by others.... Plus, when we're LOOKING for problems SURE,,, it's easy to "find " them...:S i think the OP can give it a rest.....as his Point has now been "made" adnauseum...:| if we EACH worry about our OWN safety practices and don't go around "critiqueing " everybody ELSE.... things could be MORE harmonious... and That's a good thing,,,,for the entire DZ... Regularly scheduled Staff meetings where REAL conversations occur, are the place to deal with such issues....Not the internet,, and certainly NOT running away to Outside of the "family" and airing (supposedly ) dirty laundry.....imho jmy

I would agree “theforkguy” strongly believes in his arguments. I also believe you should stand up for what is right\safe. However, the fork guy has been throwing his accusations around anonymously. That is not fair to the TM! The fork guy has the TM’s videos for all to see. I would like to see some of the fork guy’s jumps and his face. The fork guy even named the video after the TM. I would suggest that “theforkguy” tell us who he is or shut up and get a life. It is easy to sling mud anonymously.

so not only the guy that you tried to get fired but all the TI's at Skydive City are also reckless??

Why don't you go visit some other drop zones and report back on anymore safety issues you find

:S

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

So you have been mentioning now that it is his canopy skills that are very unsafe. Or were they only unsafe before when he was not carrying paying customers? Nevermind. If he was unsafe under canopy you would have showed us that since you have plenty of video of his landings.

I don't see what almost biffing it on a night jump has to to with anything regarding tandems. Was he doing night tandems as well?
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

theforkguy

Anyone been to Z-Hills? I watched TMs hook it in (Isn't the rule that you should never be making a big turn under 100 feet?) at that DZ for a long time, standing by the fence and hearing gasps from experienced jumpers for years now, only to see them dig it out and land safely.

Glad you asked. I was there for nearly a week last May during the swoop Nats and never saw anything of the kind.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Regularly scheduled Staff meetings where REAL conversations occur, are the place to deal with such issues...

Not once did we have a staff meeting there. Not once.
When I spoke to the TM himself over FB message and addressed my concerns in the winter of 2013, this was his reply:
"You make many very valid points. Over the course of the winter ive had time to ponder everything you have said. I am aware of my faults and plan to improve. I have already talked to dave about Many things you have brought up. I definately grew up mentally over the winter. the time away gave me some much needed perspective. I also know my mouth gets me into more trouble than anything and I understand how that can ultra frustrating to you. I appreciate the blunt honesty and character you have displayed with this message. "
But he didn't change. Whether you didn't hear me the first few times or just refuse to believe me, I tried like hell to keep it in the family.

My face is in the video I posted as well. I'm the last TM on the exit.
In Z-Hills the issue was not safe or unsafe. The issue was the one got reamed (no pun intended) and lost his rating to some extent while the others were allowed to do the same thing at the same time as the 'violator' and not be spoken to. My argument wasn't safe or unsafe, it was that some people get singled out and others seem to be given a bulletproof status.

Night jumps are a requirement for a D license. I'm not sure I agree that they have anything to do with tandems, but they're a requirement. If you can't do them safely I guess that's supposed to mean something. If you can go around the rules effectively, I guess that says something too.