Flare1

Earplugs and pressure

I've read through every post I can on hearing protection and jumping. I'm about to start AFF training, but let's forget about wearing earplugs during training for a second (not going against instructor guidance). Once I'm out on my own I really want to wear the garden variety foam earplugs since I already have partial hearing loss and a nice case of tinnitus. The main question i have is there appears to be conflicting views/experiences of dealing with pressure changes while wearing them in freefall. Is it rolling the dice where one person could have no problems and another rupture an eardrum all else being equal? I am going to do it regardless at least once as a test but I would like to know if there is any generally accepted rules or thoughts. For the record my audiologist THINKS foam plugs would be fine. Thanks.

One of the old farts that I jump with wears ear plugs on every jump.

He can still hear. ;)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've read through every post I can on hearing protection and jumping. I'm about to start AFF training, but let's forget about wearing earplugs during training for a second (not going against instructor guidance). Once I'm out on my own I really want to wear the garden variety foam earplugs since I already have partial hearing loss and a nice case of tinnitus. The main question i have is there appears to be conflicting views/experiences of dealing with pressure changes while wearing them in freefall. Is it rolling the dice where one person could have no problems and another rupture an eardrum all else being equal? I am going to do it regardless at least once as a test but I would like to know if there is any generally accepted rules or thoughts. For the record my audiologist THINKS foam plugs would be fine. Thanks.

I don't know why anyone would bring up an issue with foam earplugs; they're in regular use by skydiving professionals all over the world. Pressure is not an issue with the foam-type. The fitted silicon plugs are sometimes problematic.

> Is it rolling the dice where one person could have no problems and another rupture
>an eardrum all else being equal?

I have never heard of anyone "rupturing an eardrum" from wearing them. I've used them for the past 3000 jumps or so, no problems. The one risk is reduction in hearing under canopy and right after landing; you might not be able to hear someone yelling at you who is getting close to you under canopy (or immediately after landing.) If this is a worry for you get the sort that have a string that lets you pull them out.

I've worn them and not had a problem. Did it shortly after getting licensed and let loose by myself. People were talking about 'feeling the wind' and other such phrases and I couldn't feel naff all other than wind buffeting all over and loads of noise. Probably as still being new I had a kind of sensory overload and was unable to tune in to the finer subtleties of what I was experiencing. Ear plugs helped marginally as it was one less distraction.

I was also working with a lot of air tools and stuff back then in a workshop and I had a loss of high frequency sound on one of my checkups (I was only 19-20) so I started to be more careful with exposure to noise too. Thankfully getting out of that environment with a career change it recovered.

One thing I did notice was to be subtle about it. Talked a couple of friends into doing tandems and shared the load with them and they were a bit concerned when they saw me putting in ear plugs but didn't have any themselves. Suppose if someone thinks they are missing some safety equipment (as they may perceive it) it's natural to be concerned.

Thanks all, I just noticed on the posts that a few issued warnings about not being able to equalize etc. I'm not concerned anymore. I won't wear the silicone variety or put hot glue in my ears. ;)

Not to go off on a tangent but of all human senses, noise seems to have the biggest differential of what is perceived vs what is actual. In short, if we all touch something hot we will most likely all react in a similar way but a person can be in a dangerously noisy environment and they may not realize it.

Thanks again for the responses.

I leave them open. It doesn't block as much as it could with them closed, but I can still hear people talk in the plane. It still blocks out the loud drone of the the engine and freefall. I also wear a gath helmet when I jump.
Paddle faster....I hear banjo music

I bought the surefires, and I like them, but don't jump them anymore. The problem I have with them is really due to the camera helmet that I jump, and probably wouldn't really be an issue for most jumpers.

My helmet is intentionally very snug (most camera helmets are), and with my ears after making several jumps in a day the way my helmet pushes on the plugs started to get annoying. So the standard soft plugs seem to work best for me, but I'd recommend the surefires to anyone who doesn't have their ears clamped into their helmet.

I use the surefire ep4 plugs. A little expensive but they work nicely and last a long time.

http://www.surefire.com/ep4-sonic-defenders-plus.html

The surefire plugs are great, more discussion of them here:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4083263#4083263
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I've got really small ears. I wear earplugs in the plane on the way up but they are extremely painful for me to wear on the way down. It's like jumping with a cold for me. I do want to try the sure fires though - I think they might work for me if they allow better equalization ( I normally have to pop out the foam ones briefly on the way up even to allow equalization)

The only diving you can't wear ear plugs of underwater diving :p

I'm a commercial diver and I had a dumb ass student wear ear plugs on a dive and didn't tell anyone he was....

Lets just say, that's the last dive he will ever do :/
*IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED... SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!!!*

I wear them on the ride to altitude and take out my right ear plug just before putting on my helmet (I can't hear my Solo with it in). If I am by myself, I leave both in. I don't notice any difference between the two sides.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

I have never jumped with earplugs nor have I seen/heard of anyone jumping with earplugs. This may be a stupid question but what purpose does this serve?
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Cliff's Notes- Inside the airplane you are exposed to noise at moderate to high levels for extended periods of time (some say this is the most damaging type of noise). In freefall, decibel levels are above what is recommended for hearing protection.

I know some of the older posts have the actual decibel numbers.

Bottom line, if you jump often, it is a good idea to protect your hearing in the plane/freefall.

I have never jumped with earplugs nor have I seen/heard of anyone jumping with earplugs. This may be a stupid question but what purpose does this serve?

What? I'm sorry, I couldn't hear what you said.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What? I'm sorry, I couldn't hear what you said.

:Dhaha nice one!

I see.. but a full-face helmet does significantly reduce noise during freefall from experience.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

I have been using musicians attenuating custom moulded silicon earplugs for the last 4-5 years. They ar about 30dB reduction I think.

Put them in before the plane starts and take them out after I land. Can hold a normal conversation without any trouble but takes the edge off the noise. I try and remember to use them on the bike too as 2" straight-through a have a bit of noise to them

I highly recommend them if you want to keep your hearing
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.