blue24

Worst Advice

...so what is the worst advice a fellow skydiver ever gave you?

I've heard some gems over the years. Most of the bad advice I've heard given to other jumpers starts off like this: I was reading on dropzone.com...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"You don't have enough jumps to learn to swoop."

"You have no business jumping that canopy."

Welcome back!
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4127780;#4127780

Literally every single person I can think of that gave a "I'm done with DZ.com" post has come back.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"You don't have enough jumps to learn to swoop."

"You have no business jumping that canopy."

Welcome back!
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4127780;#4127780

nice find!

didnt even miss it..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Yesterday I was at my new home DZ awaiting my first jump there. I'm still on rental gear, so was using their gear for the first time. The winds were about 27 knots (31mph), which is roughly twice what I had been limited to in my training up until then, and they were inconsistent/gusting. So let's recap:

1. first time jumping this particular rig
2. first jump at this DZ
3. winds double what I'd experienced before

And what advice do I get from a couple of other low-time jumpers? "Just go, you'll be fine. Seriously, it's not that bad!" Keep in mind that they had been made well aware of the factors I listed above before they said this. Even when I told them I'd almost definitely be blown backwards at my wingloading (0.8), they didn't think it was a big deal.

I waited until the winds had calmed somewhat before I went up.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

I haven't been around long, but recently I was told "Exit when the jumpers before you are at 45 degrees."

I can guess where that came from.
:D:D;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You should have waited until the winds calmed a lot. I hope that is what you really meant.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Yesterday I was at my new home DZ awaiting my first jump there. I'm still on rental gear, so was using their gear for the first time. The winds were about 27 knots (31mph), which is roughly twice what I had been limited to in my training up until then, and they were inconsistent/gusting. So let's recap:

2. first jump at this DZ

And what advice do I get from a couple of other low-time jumpers? "Just go, you'll be fine. Seriously, it's not that bad!" Keep in mind that they had been made well aware of the factors I listed above before they said this. Even when I told them I'd almost definitely be blown backwards at my wingloading (0.8), they didn't think it was a big deal.

There's a reason those of us who've been around a while call those "500 jump maximum" loads. :|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

2. first jump at this DZ

Oh.. they had all the fans over on the hills to the west of the DZ turned up to the Medium setting huh ;)
:ph34r:

2. first jump at this DZ

I'll assume you were at Skydive Elsinore?
Once the winds crossed 25mph, all loads were stood down anyway, and high winds/low jump number warnings were given over the PA system when winds went beyond AFF-allowable limits. It's good to follow those warnings and remove yourself from manifest.
You would have been likely stood down anyway. The WS School stood down all afternoon, because the uppers were cranking at 65. This is a good time to hang out in the picnic area, talking to experienced jumpers about this n' that.

Advice; Stand down. Grab an instructor at the school, ask his/her advice. Find me, Lob, Lelo; ask our advice.
Stay well clear of buildings, packing area, plan on landing well out where there are no obstacles or features that could cause turbulence (the north fields are great, as they are just plain ole' 'flat.'

I wouldn't say "Worst Advice" but I always get tired of hearing how I should be dressing up more because it's cold at altitude... Gets pretty annoying by the 4th time on the way from the packing area to the plane.:S

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts