wingsuit03

avg skydiving specific costs/expenses

hello everyone & thank you in advance for your input.
i live/work & work travel in SE region, USA.
saving up money for AFF classes , A license/expenses.
wife and i live in SMALL 1500sq. ft home.
---------------
AFTER i have class A, what is avg cost, for minimum gear RENTAL/stuff, per jump?
if i decided to purchase rig/equip, can all this stuff fit in a regular army duffel bag?
thank you.
wonderful site!

Ballpark numbers - $2000 to $2500 to get an A license. After that jumps are about $25/each. Gear rental is anywhere from $25 for the whole day to $25 per jump, it varies from place to place. Used gear will run you $2500 to $3000 on the low end for everything you need, and it will all fit in a duffel bag. If you own a rig, factor in about $200/year in maintenance and reserve repacks.

Dave

Don't understand why your seriously lowball ing the man on the cost of being a jumper.

Try again:$

$25/jump times how many jumps a yr. Some people used to consider 100 jumps per yr a minimum to be current.

Why not tell the dude howmuch a packing class is, a canopy flying course will cost. Tunnel time, coach for this and that. Almost forgot the $40 annual dues to join USPA to feed the DZ monopoly.

In order for the dz to break even I wouldnt be :o to see coin operated toilets next.

R.

One Jump Wonder

Why not tell the dude howmuch a packing class is, a canopy flying course will cost. Tunnel time, coach for this and that. Almost forgot the $40 annual dues to join USPA to feedB| the DZ monopoly.

Because the question was "AFTER i have class A, what is avg cost, for minimum gear RENTAL/stuff, per jump?"

Dave

Don't understand why your seriously lowball ing the man on the cost of being a jumper.

Try again:$

$25/jump times how many jumps a yr. Some people used to consider 100 jumps per yr a minimum to be current.

Why not tell the dude howmuch a packing class is, a canopy flying course will cost. Tunnel time, coach for this and that. Almost forgot the $40 annual dues to join USPA to feed the DZ monopoly.

In order for the dz to break even I wouldnt be :o to see coin operated toilets next.

R.

Because people tend to run away when you tell them the sport will take ALL of their available money, and then some :P
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

hello everyone & thank you in advance for your input.
i live/work & work travel in SE region, USA.
saving up money for AFF classes , A license/expenses.
wife and i live in SMALL 1500sq. ft home.
---------------
AFTER i have class A, what is avg cost, for minimum gear RENTAL/stuff, per jump?
if i decided to purchase rig/equip, can all this stuff fit in a regular army duffel bag?
thank you.
wonderful site!

To directly answer this question:

Jump - ~25-30$
Gear rental - ~20$ per jump
Cost of used bare minimum gear - ~3000$

That being said, if you plan on doing more than 150 jumps, you should buy used gear as you'll get more value out of it than renting.

To answer a broader question:

Skydiving costs however much you want to spend. You can do 10 jumps a year, or you can do 500 jumps a year. The jumper who makes 10 jumps a year will not be able to participate in the sport aspect as much as someone who is staying current with let's say 100 jumps per year.

I sped around 80-90% of my disposable income on skydiving at this time, and so therefore I make many sacrifices to be able to jump as much; but for me it's definitely worth it:)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Bump

Thanks to the lonely ranger:S R.

Don't thank him, get him medical intervention.

Anyhow, on topic, nobody in the thread has mentioned health insurance yet. Skydiving is dangerous. Even aside from the possibility of a very serious accident, even a slight stumble on landing can result in a fractured ankle or blown-out knee requiring surgery. Anyone who skydives without health insurance in place first is a fool.