d604

At what altitude do you go directly to the silver handle.

No reserve rides yet, so it's hard to predict how I would react, but I would like to think that if I suddenly found myself BELOW 2 grand, I'd go for the silver. But like Wendy and some others have said -- muscle memory. I might go with my training, and pull at my main, or try to cutaway before going for silver... Best plan: Don't go low!

I would like to say 1000 - 1500, but I been there on a few occasions and ended up dumping my main out. one of these was pretty interesting with borrowed gear (trying out a crossfire) and a cypress. Tracked hard after a zoo, 4 hard pulls later and a low deployment, I knew I was low and as the canopy started to inflate I took a quick look at the handles before jumping on the rear risers. Whole lot of pucker factor but I missed the cypress window.

With my normal main (trusty old Sabre) it would not have been quite as interesting, still I think the thing is when the shit hits the fan get out whatever you can in the quickest time possible. I mean its just habit; think it and bang the main is out. Don't hesistate whip it out.

I don't think that there is an optimal solution to this sort of situation as there are many factors that can go on. In the end I think its best to realise that:
1) Mistakes/shit happens - What matters is what you do when you are in this situation
2) Plan and stick with you breakoff. Usually this is what leads to going low in the first place.
3) When you track, track hard and keep you eyes on a swivel, keep lookout for people that will intersect/come close to you.
3) "Handle awareness" is a good thing
4) If you are intentionally going "low" eg dodging someone else realise the risks that you are taking and the necessity of speeding up your decision process.
5) Recognise you limitations and the limitations of physics - There is no such thing as negative height! Well not more than a foot or so and that is a one time deal.

Be safe and practise those tracking skills.
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

Two years ago I found myself below 2000'
having a hard time getting a good grip in the
hackey.
I pulled silver and my pro track said 1200'
I was heading to a boogie the next weekend
and the main thought was dont let my cypres fire
plus I was due for a repack anyway.
I had opened over a wooded area, and still had enough altitude to fly to a safe landing in a pasture.
I have since seen 4 cypres fires
one was a 4-way , she had a hard pull (borrowed gear) pulled silver but cypres had fired.
The other three were 2 out where the main snivelled through cypres activation, two landed safely , the third broke his (hip? pelvis?)
What do I take from this
plan your dive so you dont go low
a reserve ride is cheaper than a cypres fire is cheaper than a hospital bill.

Andrew

B|

I have since seen 4 cypres fires
one was a 4-way , she had a hard pull (borrowed gear) pulled silver but cypres had fired.
The other three were 2 out where the main snivelled through cypres activation

Many years ago they changed the name from AOD(Automatic Opening Device) to AAD(Automatic Activation Device). This was done to better describe what the device really does! Now I think it's time for another change...AED(Automatic Entanglement Device)
...mike:P
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

I voted for "grass" because I've been deep in the basement before (sitflying through 1000 feet, w/ CYPRES aboard) and I dumped my main even though my procedure on the ground was to go silver below 1500'. Muscle memory is just that good. When my brain is screaming "GIVE ME A PARACHUTE NOW!", it does what it's done so many times before to get a parachute. Additionally, I was filming another guy sitflying on that jump and muscle memory triggered a wave-off to him before I dumped (somewhere between 700-800 feet). I suspect many others would find their body kicks into a similar "autopilot" mode.

On an emergency exit, I'm pretty sure I'd dump my reserve anywhere significantly below 1500', as that situation allows an extra second or two to think (i.e. while exiting).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

My 1:1 wingloaded Spectre takes average 1K to open & i've had a 1.4k snivel - no way I'd risk a longer one closer than 1.8k. Course, being a fairly new jumper, hopefully I've pulled before 2.

With snivels that long, and what people have been saying in this forum about muscle reflexes you may want to consider a different packing method. Perhaps rolling the nose less or not tucking it. I mean, you don't want a hard opening but if you dump at 3 you don't want to find yourself at 1.6 without a flying parachute over your head either. That snivel could turn into a malfunction and suddenly you've cut 1400 ft of time out from under yourself.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

i will answer the question directly. at what altitude do i go for "just the silver handle". for me, 1000'. and if it's the case, things have gone unimaginably bad. and i'm not talking chopping and yanking. i'm talking yanking, because, chances are 1) my main isn't out 2) i would have chopped it by now.

my regular harddeck is 2000'. if my main isn't square and don't flare, bye-bye. chop and pull reserve.

jg
"dude, where's my main?"

My decision altitude is 1,800'. Whether I have a malfunctioning main or find myself in freefall at that altitude I have decided to (cutaway if malfunction) go to my reserve.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

I find it quite amazing that people make such a big deal about reaching " for the big silver handle". You reach for it when you need it. I know of people who never bothered to reach for it, they are no longer with us. I know of people who reached...but too late, They're no longer with us either.
Using a reserve is quite a thrill, and its a great " high " that will take the rest of your jump day to come down from. But whats the big deal. Its a great thrill and should not be used as a subject for a joke in the sky. I pulled a ripcord on a main, and it was a ball of garbage. I pulled the " big silver handle" ( aka reserve handle), and nothing came out of the container. I had a short argument with the container, and I smashed it with my fist...I won, cause the reserve came out like a flower in bloom.
I fail to see the bit of showmanship to reach for the big silver handle. Time to grow up and do what is required, and stop making it a scene from a John Wayne film. Bill Cole

Thanks; this pretty much sums up my feeling. Could be that it's a bigger deal for a newbie, though.

But I've pretty much just tried to have a landable canopy over my head long before landing time.

Hope things are good for you, chuteless.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi Wendy. Its been a long time since I heard from you. Makes Spring that much more enjoyable.

I agree with the way you put it...have a landable canopy over my head long before I hit the ground. However, I will take an umbrella if that is all they're handing out at 2000 ft.

Much of the big deal about the " BIG SILVER" is showmanship. Its like guys back in the 1961s and 62s, they wore incredibly big SKYDIVER crests on their garage coveralls waist to neck collar size. They wanted everyone to know they risk their lives...they were real men..... showtime is over , and BIG SILVER went out of town with the Lone Ranger....its time to draw the curtain on this baloney.

regards Wendy, stay safe.