LVjayhawk15

learning to pack...

Yep, im totally aware there are videos, but honestly im struggling counting the cells.
{embarassed} Mine is a 7 cell (yes I can count to 7, lol), but sometimes I get to 7, some i dont.
Is there a trick? Look for ____, or some stitching or something?
Also, when I rotate the whole mess o' stuff 90 degrees to start flaking, some of the videos reference the lines. If I stop and think it through, I can get through it, but then I lose track of where I was...does it help to label them or something?

Dont care how corny it is...just trying to really get this nailed down and practice practice before my next jumps! I'm sure the packers would appreciate it too..that new thing is SLICK! haha

Thanks in advance...
I bust mine so I can kick yours.

Mine is a 7 cell (yes I can count to 7, lol), but sometimes I get to 7, some i dont.
Is there a trick?

Find the stabilzer to start. It's the 'side' of the canopy, and there's usually some sort of label over there with the name of the canopy. If you're holding the canopy correctly to flake the cells, the stabilizer should be laying against your legs. So if you know you're starting at the 'beginning', you can follow the top edge of the canopy (which is now facing down because you have the canopy over your shoulder) and just follow that seam along until you get to the other stabilizer.

Remember that a cell has two 'sections', and that you want to count the 'middle' section of the cell. So start at the stabilzer, with that being the outside of cell #1 and follow the leading edge until you come to a seam. The first seam you come to will be the center rib of cell #1, so count it.

Now keep going, and the next seam you come to will be the wall between cell #1 and #2, and you don't count that. Keep going to the next seam, which will be the center rib of cell #2, so count that. Keep going, and you'll end up with 7.

Also, when I rotate the whole mess o' stuff 90 degrees to start flaking, some of the videos reference the lines. If I stop and think it through, I can get through it, but then I lose track of where I was...does it help to label them or something?

It does. Talk to your rigger (or any rigger) and they can provide you with a 'safe' marker to label the attachment points. Those are the little white square tabs that the lines actually attach to at the canopy, and they are just big enough for a mark. Again, it can be done, just ask a qualifed professional for help to make sure you don't harm the canopy or mis-label the lines (how confusing would that be?).

It does. Talk to your rigger (or any rigger) and they can provide you with a 'safe' marker to label the attachment points. Those are the little white square tabs that the lines actually attach to at the canopy, and they are just big enough for a mark. Again, it can be done, just ask a qualifed professional for help to make sure you don't harm the canopy or mis-label the lines (how confusing would that be?).

I've gotten a hand full of RESERVES that had the line attachment tapes 'sharpie-d' different colors.[:/]
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Mine is a 7 cell (yes I can count to 7, lol), but sometimes I get to 7, some i dont.
Is there a trick?

Find the stabilzer to start. It's the 'side' of the canopy, and there's usually some sort of label over there with the name of the canopy. If you're holding the canopy correctly to flake the cells, the stabilizer should be laying against your legs. So if you know you're starting at the 'beginning', you can follow the top edge of the canopy (which is now facing down because you have the canopy over your shoulder) and just follow that seam along until you get to the other stabilizer.

Remember that a cell has two 'sections', and that you want to count the 'middle' section of the cell. So start at the stabilzer, with that being the outside of cell #1 and follow the leading edge until you come to a seam. The first seam you come to will be the center rib of cell #1, so count it.

Now keep going, and the next seam you come to will be the wall between cell #1 and #2, and you don't count that. Keep going to the next seam, which will be the center rib of cell #2, so count that. Keep going, and you'll end up with 7.

Thanks, it helped! Still trying to find a way to mark the lines-at least during the learning curve..lol

total newb struggling with packing a new canopy myself, but did you notice a label on the outside? I know the PD canopies have labels that make finding the first and last cells super easy.

Yep, between the labels and written out version of what I was looking for-totally helped-especially the 'rib' comment...
I got to the point where it was contained in the tail (sloppily, lol) and started to fold and get it into bag then it started to fill with air again and man o man is it slippery!!! HA!

It doesn't help that i've got the biggest canopy for that bag/container as well, so its snug.

Gettin there...im just super hard on myself and want to get it right on the 2nd try...LOL!

Next time you're at the dropzone, ask a packer or a fun jumper to help you out for 5 minutes. From past experience, everyone is glad to help:)
Having them show it to you properly once or a few times will help you get the hang of it!

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

+1 for waiting until a packer has a bit of down time and asking them to help. Pay for a pack job (and maybe a bit more) and ask them to either watch you or do it themselves but go slow and explain. I did this at a local DZ and the packer taught me some great tricks for getting my slippery new canopy into the bag AND wouldn't even take my money. YMMV :ph34r:

It helped me taking a "refresher" pack class and bringing my own gear. I have the largest canopy that can fit in my rig too but now that I've practiced a billion times and had lots of help from the pack class on my own personal gear, I saw a pro make it look so easy and that helped get any doubt out of my head. Now I'm jumping my own pack jobs and I love the way they open. Beautiful, soft, on heading! Hang in there and keep practicing over and over again. When a pro watches you and tells you it's correct and great job, its very reassuring and helps you become more confidant in your own ability. That's usually the real problem anyways is just doubt and frustration. Good luck!

I can send you few documents I use to teach a packing course. Some of them are sketches. Just give me an email address where I can send them.
I am a rigger since 1977.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

relax when packing take a couple deep breaths, dont stress and take it slow. I see new jumpers all the time getting very frantic with there canopy and cannot control it what i mean by this is dont do things too fast, have a method to it. mine is
EX:
1. run up lines
2. count nose
3. flake/quarter slider/cocoon/lay down
4. let air out make cocoon smaller
5. S fold
6. put in bag
7. stow lines
8. close!
Also dont let that slippery new canopy punk you, Punk that canopy! be firm with it!
Experience comes from packing over and over again and youll be able to dial in the perfect pack job in no time if you keep jumping them! my .002

relax when packing take a couple deep breaths, dont stress and take it slow. I see new jumpers all the time getting very frantic with there canopy and cannot control it what i mean by this is dont do things too fast, have a method to it. mine is
EX:
1. run up lines
2. count nose
3. flake/quarter slider/cocoon/lay down
4. let air out make cocoon smaller
5. S fold
6. put in bag
7. stow lines
8. close!
Also dont let that slippery new canopy punk you, Punk that canopy! be firm with it!
Experience comes from packing over and over again and youll be able to dial in the perfect pack job in no time if you keep jumping them! my .002

Great advice! When I first learned to pack, I could never get the canopy in the bag. Frustration would build up and that wouldn't help me get it done at all! Take things slow, do it properly and relaxed and do it in different "phases" like zero said. There are plenty of time during a packjob where you can lay it down and come back to it later if you need to relax! :)
Take your time and don't stress, practice makes perfect!;)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts